cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webcam is very dusty, how do I clean it?

Poncho
Level 7
Hello,

I've had my G53SW for about 18 months now and it is pretty great (other than some self-inflicted problems but I won't go into them here), my problem is that the webcam seems amazing dusty to the point that when I use any webcam software I look hazy and out of focus. Has anyone else had this problem?

If so, how can I clean the plastic protector over the webcam, the plastic part seems separate from the rest of the monitor housing but I don't want to jab a screwdriver in there and try and dislodge it if it turns out it is screwed in/glued on.

Has anyone tackled taking apart the monitor housing? Or managed to get to the webcam so I can clean the protector of dust?

Thanks for your time,

Poncho

P.S. Here is a photo of the dusty craziness

3 REPLIES 3

dstrakele
Level 14
When I first unboxed my laptop, it had a thin, clear, protective film over the camera lens/microphone area that needed to be peeled off. Could that be what is causing your hazy image? I couldn't tell from the photo if it was still attached. Otherwise, it looks like you've been using #50 grit sandpaper to clean the lense. Personally, I'd swab the area gently with a moist Q-tip.

I've also read of complaints about dust inside the camera lenses of release day iPhone 5's, so that could also be a possibility.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Pitcher1
Level 9
are you sure is outside or inside? if outside, you just take off protective film or Water on gently wipe with toilet paper to webcam, if inside, you will dismantle to clear it.

Thanks for the replies, it is definitely inside, has anyone got any tips on how to dismantle the screen housing? I've taken apart my SW numerous times to replace a fan/add RAM/add SSD etc but never taken apart the screen housing, is it even doable without breaking it?

And yeah I have no idea how its got so dusty in there...it never used to be like that.