cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning: Asus G752VY-DH78K Specifications Misleading!

alienbaby
Level 7
I purchased an Asus G752VY-D78K from the eStore (http://store.asus.com/us/item/201510AM090006013/A38824). Please review this sample from the laptop specifications for this product:

Storage
1TB 7200RPM + 512GB SSD (PCIEG3x4)

I was under the impression the laptop included one 512GB PCIE SSD. Instead, the laptop came with 2 256GB SSDs with absolutely no working RAID configuration. One SSD is assigned to "C:" and the other SSD is assigned to "F:".

That's not what Asus is advertising on the eStore. For me, 256GB SSD for "C:" is not enough space and I'm not interested in an SSD hard drive configuration like that.

I tried calling the System Product Support line today but they redirected me to the eStore, which does not open again until Monday.

I'm sharing this experience with the Asus community in hopes to expose what they're doing and to seek advice/feedback.
15 REPLIES 15

alienbaby
Level 7
JustinThyme,

I wanted to test out the Samsung Data Migration tool before getting the 512GB Samsung 950 by trying to clone my primary (C:\) 256GB onto my (F:\) and then swapping them just to do a dry run and practice before attempting it with the new SSD.

The problem is that the Samsung Data Migration tool already knows how to detect the source drive (C:\), but it does not detect my F:\ 256GB SSD. Instead, it automatically assumes my destination drive is the Samsung 2TB SSD that I have replaced the 1TB HDD with. I can't seem to get Samsung Data Migration to effectively see the second 256GB SSD.

I've even tried to go into Disk Management and set the 2TB SSD as "Offline" in hopes that it will trick the Samsung Data Migration tool to look for the only other Samsung 256GB PCIE drive in there but it still always tries to go for the 2TB SSD that is in the full sized hard drive slot instead.

I would take out the 2 TB drive completely. See my earlier reply in this thread on cloning.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

alienbaby wrote:
JustinThyme,

I wanted to test out the Samsung Data Migration tool before getting the 512GB Samsung 950 by trying to clone my primary (C:\) 256GB onto my (F:\) and then swapping them just to do a dry run and practice before attempting it with the new SSD.

The problem is that the Samsung Data Migration tool already knows how to detect the source drive (C:\), but it does not detect my F:\ 256GB SSD. Instead, it automatically assumes my destination drive is the Samsung 2TB SSD that I have replaced the 1TB HDD with. I can't seem to get Samsung Data Migration to effectively see the second 256GB SSD.

I've even tried to go into Disk Management and set the 2TB SSD as "Offline" in hopes that it will trick the Samsung Data Migration tool to look for the only other Samsung 256GB PCIE drive in there but it still always tries to go for the 2TB SSD that is in the full sized hard drive slot instead.

Like clint said take the other drive out.

Delete the partition on the destination drive then it should pick up on it. I dont have an extra to do a dry run on it. When you get the new its not even initialized which is where you really want to be. Acronis disk commander does that with a single click and reboot with the clean command. Then you just initialize the disk and go from there. My guess is right now your destination drive is not set for the correct type of partition is why its not listing it.

Ill be doing this tomorrow night some time and Ill do a step by step with pictures. Graphics Vbios crapped on me so I had to do an exchange on a new one. Love Costco! While their price was still lower than anyone elses including an extra year warranty the sale was done as of the 17th where they had the G752VYs on sale. The DH72 for $1999 and your model the D78K for $2999. I returned the old one to a local store, they gave me store credit and I went home and called their customer support. I had to buy it at current price which was $320 more on that I had to put the difference on my card. The gal stayed on the phone with me while I completed my order, gave her the new order number and she immediately initiated a refund back to the card so I got it for the same price. Cant beat that! Only thing is I have to wait for it to get here from the west coast. They also have a 90 day full refund policy no questions asked. No one else does that from my experiences anyhow. Worst Buy gives you 15 days unless you are an elite member then you get 30 days or an elite plus like me you get 45 days. B&H out of NYC gives you 30 days too with one problem though. If the box is open, you cant return it!

Anyhow I'm doing a full from scratch conversion, brand new machine to 950 pro. Ill just start it up, go though the set up. Let it do updates then install exactly what I need to clone and thats it.

When I did mine with a brand new uninitialzed drive the samsung data migration was by far the easiest and fastest clone I've ever done!

You may be able to clean the drive with command prompt, should be the same as windows 7.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/52129-disk-clean-clean-all-diskpart-command.html

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Gps3dx
Level 12
I suggest you complain to asus about the disinformation and the nonequivalent info Vs reality.
When Asus lately needed to compensate me for my G55VW that they returned it broken and dirty from their official lab.
So in the end they gave me the G751JT - which according to the web site of the only local official Asus importer comes with Blue-ray Writer.
they also told me in writing that whatever is written in that site is what I'll get...
Finaly when It arrived - I had only DVD writer - not even BD reader !
I complained once more, sent proves ( screenshots of the site ) and they eventually gave me in addition a check with the full sum of money of that BD-writer ( prices took from the official Asus eStore ).

Asus should learn that when you make a good PC it should come also with good customer service like IBM's or Dell's....
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

MrRuckus
Level 10
Wow. Misleading indeed. I would have been pissed had I bought the D78K and found this out. It does seem to be a pattern with Asus and their multiple drives. Like my old G750 had 256GB via two 128GB sticks. The difference with that though was that RAID was enabled. With no RAID option on these G752's, thats bull****. One could argue you dont need the speed of two NVMe drives, which I can understand, but some need it for work space on a single drive. Especially when the website says nothing about that 512GB being two drives on the specs:

http://store.asus.com/us/item/201510AM090006013/A38824
(ROG has simply become too expensive compared to the competition with same specs... 😞 )
MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS - i7 10750H - RTX 2080 Super - 32GB Ram - 1TB WD NVMe - 2TB 960 EVO - 300Hz 17inch Display
RETIRED: ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K, RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72, RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71 , RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72

toronto699
Level 13
How to Clone M.2 SSD to SSD 950 Pro M.2 512GB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6Sjc-co4Wk