cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very very odd problem with my G74SX

illusion
Level 7
It is Very Odd and weird,my G74sx-AH71 ‘s C side(the keyboard and speaker side,but not the keyboard or the soft touch part,it is the metal around the keyboard) vibrates!!!

It’s a problem since I bought it,at first it vibrates sometimes(didnt plug vga),not all the time.I think is the fans‘ problem.(but it seems not , sometimes when fans work fast,it not vibrates.)

But it’s very creepy now(plug vga)!!When I turn off the computer it vibrates too. I am freaking out

Then I notice if I unplug vga ,it stops vibrating when it is off.

When it is on (without vga) sitll vibrates ,but not as severe as the vga is on

Maybe it is static electricity,but when i push down the metal part,it stops vibrating .

So I am confused......

My computer is fine except this problem, and i don't want to go to the asus, it will take a long time .
Someone help me please
13 REPLIES 13

illusion
Level 7
Some one please help me,

Does anyone have the same problem?

I see someone talk about the speaker shaking, is it the same?

for me the metal up the speaker vibrates too..

fuzon1337
Level 10
What is the temp of you GPU and CPU?

Has it always been like this?

Does it vibrate when you have the sound on or does it happend when the fans are turning on to cool down the GPU/CPU ?

If it's not long ago you bought your notebook, I would go to the store and change it for a new notebook because that doesn't sound good when it comes to that.
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

The temp is fine,normally under 40 degree.
I am afriad it is too late to return or change.

NOW I figure it out!!!

I am sure it is the static electricity problem .

because if i uplug the AC and vga, the metal stop vibrating.

AC or vga plug into the laptop,the metal start to vibrate,

If vga and AC is plug into the laptop, and the other side of the AC(connect the power-point on the wall )unplug,the metal vibrates, and the other side of the AC vibrates(the ground connection problem!!!!)

fuzon1337
Level 10
Could you show me with one of the pictures in this site? So I could see where you are describing the issue of the vibrations.

When you say you unplug the VGA, then you talk about a second screen?

Perhaps you have nailed down the issue source, but how to fix it is a big question though
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- BIOS 205

Now the problem is solved,just get a new power strip.

I have a second screen and use the vga port

win+P expend the desktop

The problem cause by the ground connection.

the metal,the metal.....

If the laptop doesn't connect to the ground ,(must cause by the power strip or your power point)and there is an input .

the metal vibrates,you feel like vibration .but it is tiny electricity .

fuzon1337 wrote:
Could you show me with one of the pictures in this site? So I could see where you are describing the issue of the vibrations.

When you say you unplug the VGA, then you talk about a second screen?

Perhaps you have nailed down the issue source, but how to fix it is a big question though

It doesn't hurt people,but i doubt it will hurt my laptop....

So be careful!!

fostert
Level 12
If by "vibration" I think I understand that you feel an electrical "buzz" when touching the metal trim around the keys on the keyboard? Yes, I have felt that too, especially when my G74 was new : touching the metal with a slightly wet finger or something there was a buzzing sensation, especially when moving the finger around. It was noticeable for some time, but lately (last month or two) it has gone away. I believe I remember reading that the touchpad on the G74 is grounded improperly to the metal keyboard trim with tape, which is why it has given so many people issues. I'm not sure if this was the source and the tape under there has fallen off or something, but I don't feel the "charge" anymore. I just put a multimetre on the metal and don't measure anything about a few millivolts now, but I'm sure it was probably a few volts when it was charged.

Anyhow, I'm sorry: I never did solve this. But it seems to have disappeared: hopefully yours will too.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

My problem is exactly the same as yours!!

Yes,I think there is some design problem.

wet finger,get buzzz

After I change the power strip,the problem seems to go away.

I will avoid wet finger touching...

Hope it won't kill my laptop...

fuzon1337
Level 10
It's good to see that you have done a temporary solution to the issue and let us hope for that you don't have to experience it agian 🙂
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- BIOS 205