cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using the dedicated GPU without power supply?

lolplayer101
Level 7
hello.

i recently bought an ASUS ROG G750JW with some modification on it but nothing major.

i would like to know if it is possible to play a game using the dedicated graphics card on board without the laptop being plugged in on a power supply.
an if possible, how to enable it.

these are my specs:
geforce 765M
i7 4700M
16GB RAM
1TB space.

thanks in advance. game on.
5 REPLIES 5

Nillaz
Level 7
It would of course depend on the game, but I wouldn't recommend it in any case. The components in the G750 want more power than the battery can reasonably deliver.

lolplayer101
Level 7
i see your point. but you are saying it is possible. so as for games like tropico4 for exemple. it is hard to turn on just the chipset but it doesn't need the whole 2GB card to run smooth either. so in which case my next question:
how do i activate it?

kind regards.

You don't have to activate anything as there isn't onboard graphics available. I would go in and check your power settings before trying to play any games though.

My apologies about not being clear about the types of games I was referencing. Playing something akin to Minesweeper is one thing, but trying to run anything intensive on the battery is not going to be a good experience, plus you run the risk of damaging things. Unfortunately battery technology has not kept pace with advances in laptop equipment and their power requirements.

jmhdj
Level 10
All rog Laptops so far have only dedicated GPUs no matter Power Source.
In other Words there is no optimus to switch Graphics to intel igpu

lolplayer101
Level 7
ooohhh, now i get it....
a bit disappointed but i understand your reasoning.

thanks a lot guys. and have a good day.