cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading the ram of Asus ROG G551JW

bixtape
Level 7
Hi guys! So I would like to upgrade the ram of my laptop from 8 gb to 16 gb. I have no clue where should I look for to get the one that fits this laptop,I did look on google but couldn't find anything specifically to this. And as well as this would you think it's worth the upgrade? I would like to get black ops 4 , but I can't really get a new laptop right now so might as well boost it as much as possible. I will be re pasting the cpu and gpu. I will eventually sell the laptop in few months and get a better one , but I think selling it with 16 gb will be more appealing to a buyer , so yeah I'm willing to invest a little bit I'm not sure what price range should I be looking at but lets say I'm on a tight budget... In the distributor page it says it has 1 8 gb slot , so I will be good to just add 1 more and it would be working perfectly fine or I need to buy 2 new?Any tips for optimization would be much appreciated!
Thank you so much in advance!

Specs: Intel Core i7-4720HQ
Geforce GTX960M (2GB GDDR5)
8GB (1x 8192MB) - DDR3, 1600Mhz
SSD Samsung Pro Evo 850 250 GB
7 REPLIES 7

jdfrench3
Level 12
Visit the following website from Crucial:

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/systemscanner

Run the scanner program to see what memory is compatible, buy from there or look for other source.

Good Luck
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

jdfrench3 wrote:

Run the scanner program to see what memory is compatible, buy from there or look for other source.

Good Luck

Thanks! Looks legit , but will it work with no problems if I get 1 more 8 gb stick?

With an older laptop, added memory will help. Will the added memory allow a newer game to work problem free; there is no guarantee.
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

jdfrench3 wrote:
With an older laptop, added memory will help. Will the added memory allow a newer game to work problem free; there is no guarantee.

Sorry I meant that the new ram stick added with the older one would work without any issues? I read that sometimes you just have to buy 2 new ones... I will give it a try anyways hopefully there will be no problems... Thanks

bixtape wrote:
Sorry I meant that the new ram stick added with the older one would work without any issues? I read that sometimes you just have to buy 2 new ones... I will give it a try anyways hopefully there will be no problems... Thanks

Ive done this a few times with a few ASUS Gaming Notebooks...best to buy complete new kit but Ive never had an issue adding 1 SODIMM........just ensure it matches up with speed and Timings.....

jdfrench3 wrote:

Good Luck

take that site with a grain of salt
while it showed fine for my model it showed comletely false info for my brothers laptop

it said the memory is soldered and non upgradable when in reality its non soldered and he has 2 slots.
Asus Rog G750JZ
Screen: 1920x1080 17.3'
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ (3.4Ghz @ -70mV)
GPU: GeForce GTX 880M 4GB (OC +125Mhz Core, +600Mhz Memory @ 1.062V)
RAM: Samsung 32GB 1600MHz
Storage #1: Samsung Evo 840 250GB
Storage #2: Samsung Evo 850 500GB
Storage #3: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Storage #4: Samsung Evo 128GB MicroSD

JustinThyme
Level 13
Gskill ripjaws 2400MHz. No sense buying anything faster as it won’t go past 2400MHz and don’t try to make it with Intel XTU. Just install the RAM and let it be.*
Always best to replace it all so you have matching everything and buy a kit that matches what you want, not individual sticks. *

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein