cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading the G75VW wifi card

Salem1191
Level 7
Hello I've got a G75VW-RH71 running Windows 8.1 and a Netgear N900 Dual band Wi-Fi/modem and I'm looking to replace the stock Wi-Fi card with this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106190

I'm just wondering what I need to install and uninstall before or after I put the new one in. I've read on other sites I need to install the Intel drivers then uninstall the Atheros drivers and that I also need to uninstall the Bluetooth drivers before swapping the cards but I'm still not 100% on what I need to do. I'm hoping someone here can let me know what I need to do. Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4

lieutenantdan
Level 7
You will have to disassemble laptop. WiFi is under the keyboard. While in there you should upgrade memory to 32gb as well. Been there. Done that. Same card.

Salem1191
Level 7
Okay. As far as installing goes, install the Intel drivers, uninstall the Atheros ones then replace the card? Do I need to uninstall/reinstall the Bluetooth drivers too? Or does it not matter?

Decadia
Level 7
I recommend to re-install the BT drivers and others to make sure it runs smoothly from the get-go. 🙂

rewben
Level 13
it's better to uninstall everything related to the card first (wifi and bt drivers). reboot the machine to make sure anything left and need to remove during post-uninstall are done properly.

shut down the machine, tear it down and do your thing. note the placement of wifi antennas (different colors, connected to different places) along the process and you should be fine.