cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading G75VW HDD to SSH

devildog125
Level 7
So I recently upgraded laptops from an Alienware M14x R2 to the G75VW. I love the new lappy and have already upgraded a little bit by putting in a Killer 1202. I can definitely tell a difference with the upgrade. I want to upgrade my HDD to a SSH and I do have a spare one handy. I was wondering because I tried to clone with the software I had but it didnt work since this is Win8. If anybody could help that would be great. Thanks in advance.
G46VW I5 Edition
16GB Corsair Vengence Ram
Killer n1202 Wireless Card
750GB Momentus XT SSH
32GB Samsung mSata SSD
4 REPLIES 4

rewben
Level 13
for cloning, many are reporting success with macrium reflect (here's a simple walk-through)

ok ill try it out and thanks!
G46VW I5 Edition
16GB Corsair Vengence Ram
Killer n1202 Wireless Card
750GB Momentus XT SSH
32GB Samsung mSata SSD

You will see it works very well.
G75VW-BHI7N07: i7-3630QM * 32Gb ram Crucial * Windows damn 8 PRO
Kingston HyperX 3K 120 SSD + 1TB hdd (sad 5400 rpm)

JHOOPS2
Level 7
Macrium is an amazing piece of software. I wish everything worked as easy as it does. I popped in a OCZ 128gb SSD and cloned all of the pertinent stuff needed for the OS and programs over to it, leaving the old 1tb drive for storage, thus making the SSD my boot drive. I left the OS on it, just in case of future problems. Once I got everything set up exactly as I wanted it I then made a clone of the SSD onto a USB HDD that I had handy that I can use for a complete system restore down the road if needed. Around June or July I am going to replace the 128gb drive with something quite a bit larger. But for now, this is all the space that I need.