upgrading cpu in my G55VW notebook

Dymblos
Level 7
I have this
http://www.amazon.com/G55VW-15-Inch-Gaming-Laptop-VERSION/dp/B007Z9WWDW

current cpu 3610QM
want 3840QM

but, here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_i7_microprocessors#Ivy_Bridge_microarchitecture_.28...
the 3840m have 2 spec number:
SR0UT (E1)
SR0UU (E1)
I found the 3840m a few but with spec number QCF1
http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/QC/QCF1.html

There might be a problem?
4 REPLIES 4

Korth
Level 14
Problem is that the i7-3610QM and i7-3840QM processors are only available in Socket G2 and FCPGA (BGA1224) packages and you probably have the latter. FCPGA chips are solder-stamped directly onto the motherboard at the factory, they aren't mounted in sockets and they can't be removed without some costly rework tools, they are only sold in roll/tape format (in quantities of 1000), and they're both functionally EOL because Intel has already moved on to newer and smaller things.

You could only upgrade an FCPGA processor by upgrading the entire motherboard. Probably only with another G55 motherboard. And I don't think Asus offered any G55 models with the i7-3840QM.

The only way to tell is physical inspection, tools like CPUID don't always report mobile form factors accurately. But if you do have a Socket G2 processor, why not go for an i7-3940XM?

Final upgrade cost would likely be more than resale-and-replace cost, especially if you have to pay for time and labour.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Pandur
Level 10
The G55VW has a G2 cpu socket. So it's possible to upgrade the CPU. I took note of this when I re-pasted mine.
Asus ROG G55VW:
CPU: i7 3630QM
GFX: Geforce GTX660M with 2GB ram
RAM: 2x8Gb 2133MHz Kingston HyperX Impact (surprisingly the G55VW uses the 2133 X.M.P. profile)
Storage: RAID0 with 2x 256Gb Crucial SSDs (both msata, one in a sata adapter)

Great, and what about the spec number?

Korth
Level 14
You would want this one
sSpec SR0UT
Part # BX80638I73840QM

The other one (sSpec QCF1) was a pre-production model for prototypes, engineering samples, and media distribution. Some of these will be just as good as SR0UT parts but some won't, a few might not meet full E1 Stepping parameters, they might have quirky compatibility issues, and any working chips which are still floating around will be vastly overpriced because of demand from collectors. Probably best to avoid these unless you can't obtain an SR0UT part.

I couldn't find any datasheets for SROUU. But if such a part exists then the different Intel sSpec designation could indicate it was a different (and probably slightly better) part performance bin, or it could indicate the part originated at a different fab site, or it could indicate the part was only sold through a different marketing channel (Intel sells to consumer, enterprise, and government channels, and it's well known that they often contract special part runs for military, aerospace, or corporate clients).
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]