cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade G75VW to Windows 11

domtrump
Level 7
I realize that this notebook is 9 years old, but I have maintained and upgraded it through the years. It is BLAZING fast with a 1TB SSD and 24GB RAM. I don't do much gaming these days, but this beast is running SQL Server, My SQL, PhotoShop, MS BI, etc with no problems. The Windows update site says it wont run Win 11 because of the processor - the ONLY component I have NOT upgraded. Its an i7 Quad Core for goodness sake!

Why is this somehow a bottleneck? If I wait, will Win 11 eventually support this machine? If not, can I upgrade the processor? If so, to what and what would that involve? Should I just stick with Windows 10? How many more years will that last? This machine is not going anywhere anytime soon.

Thank you for your input/advice.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit 21H1 19043.1288
Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz 2.40 GHz
24.0 GB RAM
6 REPLIES 6

xeromist
You'll be able to use Windows 10 indefinitely but the question will be when it stops receiving security updates and there are known vulnerabilities. At that point in the future you may no longer wish to connect it to the internet.

In the near term, Microsoft has been pretty hard nosed about hardware requirements for Windows 11. They require TPM even though independent testing has shown it's not actually used during startup or ongoing usage of the system. It's a good idea in theory but if they don't use it then it's kind of pointless. So who knows if they will open up their system validation to more hardware.

If it ever comes to this, people have been able to install it using a USB installer rather than Windows Update. So if you really want to force it you could do that.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Super_Gnome
Level 11
Great question. I have a ten year old rig I built and would simply slide a compatible CPU in the thing if possible. My takeaway is go AMD in the future because the socket allows you to slide in new CPUs down the road.

BigJohnny
Level 13
I have the same machine as a spare and its not going to run win 11. You have until 2025 on Win 10 then its time to recycle it. I update something every couple of years. Last thing was my desktop 10980XE with R6EE that runs win 11 fine. I dont think anything else in the house is going to run it. Next newest is a G752VY or maybe the M9F with a 7700K but either way neither is going to run Win11 so they will all be retired NLT 2025. By then they will all be old as dirt anyhow.

This is a bummer. I really like the performance of this laptop and its still faster than my wifes brand new one. I can do everything I need to do on this....Exept run the newest windows,,lol.
I'm a little bit of a penny pincher. When i invested in this laptop years ago, I figured if I spend the money it will last long. But it seems obsolescence is the culprit here not reliability and performance.
I'll hold out as long as I can for now.

edwardnizz wrote:
This is a bummer. I really like the performance of this laptop and its still faster than my wifes brand new one. I can do everything I need to do on this....Exept run the newest windows,,lol.
I'm a little bit of a penny pincher. When i invested in this laptop years ago, I figured if I spend the money it will last long. But it seems obsolescence is the culprit here not reliability and performance.
I'll hold out as long as I can for now.

I cant remember when ROG started using secure boot. This work around may work. Let everyone know if it does?

https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/bypass-windows-11-tpm-requirement
(ROG has simply become too expensive compared to the competition with same specs... 😞 )
MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS - i7 10750H - RTX 2080 Super - 32GB Ram - 1TB WD NVMe - 2TB 960 EVO - 300Hz 17inch Display
RETIRED: ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K, RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72, RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71 , RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72

Executioner55
Level 7
I actually installed 11 on a 7 year old Dell Inspiron 15R 5537 laptop. Rufus new release has an option to burn the Win 11 ISO without the 11 requirements. Sure enough it worked! I'm able to update the OS with any new updates that are released.
https://makmodo.com/how-to-bypass-windows-11-requirements/