cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to install windows 10 at raid 0 at G703GS-E5057

Swan42
Level 7
I bought G703GS-E5057 notebook with no OS installed. It contain pair identical intel SSD 240 Gb.
I created raid 0 from intel SSD in BIOS in "Intel Rapid Storage TEchnology" menu. In BIOS volume 1 have normal status. All like good.

But windows installer not shows raid volume, but shows 2 SSD separate.

I can't found driver load to windows installer at asus.com. I downloaded from intel.com file named f6flpy-x64.zip. And I give this driver in windows installer.

After that installer not shows neither volume of raid nor 2 SSD separate.

I working with raid at servers but I can't understaned how to install windows at this notebook.
8 REPLIES 8

Blazcowicz
Level 7
Swan42 wrote:
I bought G703GS-E5057 notebook with no OS installed. It contain pair identical intel SSD 240 Gb.
I created raid 0 from intel SSD in BIOS in "Intel Rapid Storage TEchnology" menu. In BIOS volume 1 have normal status. All like good.

But windows installer not shows raid volume, but shows 2 SSD separate.

I can't found driver load to windows installer at asus.com. I downloaded from intel.com file named f6flpy-x64.zip. And I give this driver in windows installer.

After that installer not shows neither volume of raid nor 2 SSD separate.

I working with raid at servers but I can't understaned how to install windows at this notebook.

Greetings!

I suppose you also have another drive an HDD/SSHD. Before trying to merge both SSD to Raid 0 with the driver you need to remove the HDD/SSHD from the laptop manually. After, install the Windows with the specified merging driver and it must show the merged drivers. Then continue with the installation. After you're done installing Windows, power off the laptop and add the HDD/SSHD back to the laptop.
I am not sure if there is a driver problem or BIOS problem but there is probably a conflict between the drives.
I hope this will help you.

Blazcowicz wrote:
Greetings!

I suppose you also have another drive an HDD/SSHD. Before trying to merge both SSD to Raid 0 with the driver you need to remove the HDD/SSHD from the laptop manually. After, install the Windows with the specified merging driver and it must show the merged drivers. Then continue with the installation. After you're done installing Windows, power off the laptop and add the HDD/SSHD back to the laptop.
I am not sure if there is a driver problem or BIOS problem but there is probably a conflict between the drives.
I hope this will help you.

Hello, thnks for answer.

Situation is not looks like any conflict.
Because BIOS shows raid 0 volume and HDD correctly.

Swan42 wrote:
Hello, thnks for answer.

Situation is not looks like any conflict.
Because BIOS shows raid 0 volume and HDD correctly.

Hey,

I have said the above because I also own a G703 laptop but the G703GI model which is the same but few different components. I am telling you from my own experience. When I reinstalled the Windows I have done what I have stated in the first reply.
Indeed, the creation of raid 0 partition is made from BIOS but the Windows installation won't see it as a raid 0 drive. That's why, when you load the driver there is a conflict between drives at windows installation.
You need to download the rapid storage driver:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/GamingNB/DriverforWin10/RapidStorage/RapidStorage_Intel_CFL_W10_6...

Then you can extract the files into a folder. The extracted folder must be copied inside a bootable USB with Windows 10 (preferably in the root so you can easily find the driver when you load it inside Windows installation; eg. F:\RapidStorage). Then, when you get to the place where you choose where to install the windows you just load it and it will merge the drives. Again please remove the HDD from your laptop before installing the Windows. This is the only way you can install it on the raid 0 partition.

Please try it and it must work. The removal of the HDD drive is easy. Just a screw on the back cover and 4 more on the HDD itself.
I also wished ASUS would tell us why it doesn't show the raid 0 drive when you got other drives already installed on the laptop when you want to load the RapidStorage driver.

Thank you for answer. Very detailed answer.

I am very surprised.

Warranty of my store imply that customer will not disassemble laptop.
Upgrade can do engineers of store for a fee. But becouse laptop is expensive therefore fee will be big. I will try to do it for free but I need strong evidence. I think this forums will be not enought.

Where on site asus is written that removal of the HDD is need for install windows on raid ? I try to google it but not found.

Swan42 wrote:
Thank you for answer. Very detailed answer.

I am very surprised.

Warranty of my store imply that customer will not disassemble laptop.
Upgrade can do engineers of store for a fee. But becouse laptop is expensive therefore fee will be big. I will try to do it for free but I need strong evidence. I think this forums will be not enought.

Where on site asus is written that removal of the HDD is need for install windows on raid ? I try to google it but not found.

Hi!

Unfortunately there is not any information about it. I like to play around myself with such problems before googling it. I have encountered such a problem with an older laptop when trying to add a SATA SSD and putting the old HDD instead of the optical drive. That's the time I removed the HDD and tried myself to install the the Windows with only the SATA SSD drive and it worked. That's the idea that came to my mind with the problem on this laptop too.
I don't think you will mess with the warranty since there is the back cover which you can use to add the 3rd SSD, RAM and HDD that you need to remove.
These ones shouldn't break the warranty.
Well the choice is in your hands, I have just tried to help. 😉

Swan42,

An ASUS laptop without an OS, restoral partition, eSupport folder, or driver DVD, without a warranty! What exactly are you hoping do?

I bought it in a store without OS. It is new laptop. It contained CD, but I haven't cd drive to read disk.
I download G703GI_WIN10_64_V2.03.zip sized ~2gb. I fully unpacked it and it look like drivers. I think this is drivers.
But what is eSupport folder ?

Download, extract, then mount the iso file. Copy the who file and rename it eSupport. This is close to what is found in an eSupport folder on an original ASUS installed OS drive. Keep a copy of this aside from your laptop for help in reinstalling the OS in the future.

Now go into the newly made eSupport folder, locate a file named AsInsWiz.exe (ASUS Installation Wizard), run the file and allow the wizard to open. Pick what drivers and programs you wish to have installed. There are a number of hidden and encrypted files installed as well. These are installed by ASUS to help support the laptop operation.

Now, the BAD news. The file you downloaded (G703GI_WIN_10_64_V2.03.zip) is NOT the correct Driver DVD.

You are going to have to use your ASUS Driver DVD to perform the above procedures. Confirm the DVD is for your laptop before transferring a copy to a USB.
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

Swan42,
If your intentions are to restore your new laptop to near original operation...….it is going to be very difficult.

An ASUS laptop without an OS, restoral partition, eSupport folder, or driver DVD, without a warranty! What exactly are you hoping to do?

To have a RAID 0 across the two M.2 NVMe drives will require a certain Intel IRST driver. This driver (on USB) is inserted into the beginning of the Windows 10 installation.

Bye the way, RAID across NVMe drives has been discussed quite a bit on this forum. It was agreed that there was no advantage in making a RAID across NVMe drives compared to separate NVMe drives. Feel free to search this forum for these discussions.

Good Luck
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

jdfrench3 wrote:
Swan42,
If your intentions are to restore your new laptop to near original operation...….it is going to be very difficult.

I just want install windows 10 on volume1 of raid .

jdfrench3 wrote:

An ASUS laptop without an OS, restoral partition, eSupport folder, or driver DVD, without a warranty! What exactly are you hoping do?

I bought it in a store without OS. It is new laptop. It contained CD, but I haven't cd drive to read disk.
I download G703GI_WIN10_64_V2.03.zip sized ~2gb. I fully unpacked it and it look like drivers. I think this is drivers.
But what is eSupport folder ?

jdfrench3 wrote:

To have a RAID 0 across the two M.2 NVMe drives will require a certain Intel IRST driver. This driver (on USB) is inserted into the beginning of the Windows 10 installation.

I not found any files for inserting to windows installer in G703GI_WIN10_64_V2.03.zip archive. Becouse I downloaded file frome intel.com named f6flpy-x64.zip and unpacked it.
I inserted files to windows installer and installer not shows volumes of raid. And not shows 2 SSD separately. But installer shows 2 SSD separately before inserting drivers.

jdfrench3 wrote:

Bye the way, RAID across NVMe drives has been discussed quite a bit on this forum. It was agreed that there was no advantage in making a RAID across NVMe drives compared to separate NVMe drives. Feel free to search this forum for these discussions.

But one volume of 500Gb look like so better two disks of 250 Gb.

jdfrench3 wrote:

Good Luck

Thsnk you