cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble Disabling Touchpad, G74Sx-BBK8

Herbalist
Level 7
Hey,

I have read the two stickies. But none of that really makes sense to me because I'm not as tech savvy as some.

I've had this laptop for a couple weeks and was able to disable the touchpad for periods of time. I would have to go into control panel and configure it to disable when USB mouse was connected. But I would have to go in and do that every time I turned on my laptop. Or I would have to unplug/replug in the mouse to get it to turn off. And it would reset when I started certain programs forcing me to do it all over again. I wanted a more permanent fix so I googled some solutions. Found one saying you can disable it in bios. So I did that last night and it worked fine. This morning I turned on my computer and the keyboard wouldnt work on the log in screen. So I went back into bios and enabled the touchpad and the keyboard worked again. But now I cant even go into control panel to configure the touchpad and go back to the way I was doing it. I tried uninstalling the drivers for it thinking that if it had no drivers it wouldnt be able to work. But on startup drivers just get reinstalled.

So my question is. Is there any way I can disable this stupid thing but still have my keyboard work? Thank you to anyone who takes time to read this long post and help me out.
4 REPLIES 4

dstrakele
Level 14
You might try installing the most recent driver for your touchpad to see if it resolves the disabling issue. If you have a Sentelic touchpad, that driver version is 9.1.7.7, available in JRd1st's Drivers, Apps, and How-To Sticky. A link to the most recent Synaptics driver is also available there.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Herbalist
Level 7
Thanks DST.

I downloaded the Synaptics Touchpad 15.2.20 driver off their website. I'm now able to disable this pesky thing. And it seems like a more permenant disable as opposed to last time. Thanks again.

dstrakele
Level 14
Glad to hear it - hope it stays disabled. I just thought of something. The Fn-F9 key combination that disables/enables the touchpad is actually controlled by the ASUS ATK Package. If the issue should reappear, try uninstalling your current ATK Package from "Control Panel - Uninstall a program", then REBOOT, then install ATK Package 1.00.0014.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Herbalist
Level 7
Thanks I'll keep that in mind. As of now the key combination doesnt work. But hopefully I wont need to do that. Thanks again.