cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thunderbolt 3 capabilities on G752VY-DH72 for multiple monitors

bignadad
Level 7
I am having trouble connecting more than one monitor via thunderbolt 3 hubs. I have no problem connecting a monitor to my HDMI, MiniDP and USB-C ports on my laptop, but when i try and connect one of the thunderbolt 3 docks I can only use one display that connected to it.

Here are the 2 thunderbolt 3 docks i have
Startech TB3DK2DPW
OWC OWCTB3DK13PSG

I have read their manuals and covered all the basics.
- Trying different adapters and cables
- Different thunderbolt software and firmware versions (currently on 17.2.71)
- Different monitors
- Daisy chaining 2 hubs
- and much more

I originally tested everything on the Thunderbolt 3 package from the Asus website. when that didnt work i used the one from intel. Here is my current setup

I know the cables work because if i test them one at a time it works. So if I have one of my docks connected to my laptop via USB-C cable and I connect one monitor to the USB-C port it displays fine. When i try and connect the 2nd monitor to the DisplayPort nothing happens. But, when i disconnect the USB-C monitor cable the monitor connected via DP works.

The only likely reason for this issue that I have found is thunderbolt capabilities. According to the video below by StarTech, they say your hardware may not have all thunderbolt 3 capabilities enabled.

I am only trying to connect 1080p monitors and in that video one of the capabilities shows 2 4K monitors. So that makes me think something else is wrong.

Both my OWC and Startech hubs have the same issue.

I even tried daisy chaining the 2 hubs and I am able to run one monitor off of each hub. But when I try and connect that 2nd monitor to either hub it will not work.

Does anyone have any idea what else I can try?
Every other port works on the hub. Even connecting this USB to HDMI adapter to my hub.
4 REPLIES 4

ydurguner
Level 7
bignadad wrote:
I am having trouble connecting more than one monitor via thunderbolt 3 hubs. I have no problem connecting a monitor to my HDMI, MiniDP and USB-C ports on my laptop, but when i try and connect one of the thunderbolt 3 docks I can only use one display that connected to it.

Here are the 2 thunderbolt 3 docks i have
Startech TB3DK2DPW
OWC OWCTB3DK13PSG

I have read their manuals and covered all the basics.
- Trying different adapters and cables
- Different thunderbolt software and firmware versions (currently on 17.2.71)
- Different monitors
- Daisy chaining 2 hubs
- and much more

I originally tested everything on the Thunderbolt 3 package from the Asus website. when that didnt work i used the one from intel. Here is my current setup

I know the cables work because if i test them one at a time it works. So if I have one of my docks connected to my laptop via USB-C cable and I connect one monitor to the USB-C port it displays fine. When i try and connect the 2nd monitor to the DisplayPort nothing happens. But, when i disconnect the USB-C monitor cable the monitor connected via DP works.

The only likely reason for this issue that I have found is thunderbolt capabilities. According to the video below by StarTech, they say your hardware may not have all thunderbolt 3 capabilities enabled.

I am only trying to connect 1080p monitors and in that video one of the capabilities shows 2 4K monitors. So that makes me think something else is wrong.

Both my OWC and Startech hubs have the same issue.

I even tried daisy chaining the 2 hubs and I am able to run one monitor off of each hub. But when I try and connect that 2nd monitor to either hub it will not work.

Does anyone have any idea what else I can try?
Every other port works on the hub. Even connecting this USB to HDMI adapter to my hub.

I am experiencing the same issue right now, with startech. I think we are limited on this to use hdmi, thunderbolt and mini dp and have 3 monitor that way.

ydurguner
Level 7
how did you get the thunderbolt drivers up to those numbers? asus web site doesn't provide anything better than these the versions i have:

nevermind: Got the ASUS support reply today. The G752VS is not capable of outputting dual displays via the Thunderbolt 3 interface. If you wish to utilize the GTX 1070's four display output capability you are limited to using the laptop display as one of them, and only three external displays.

check this one out

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?92494-G752VS-XB72K-Thunderbolt-3-Display-Limitation/page3

ydurguner
Level 7
I am going to try the sabernet. will post the updates.