cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Through hell and high water- for more hell.

DigitalZebra
Level 7
Well, I come to you all here today in the need of assistance.

Backstory;

I took my G75VW into Best Buy's Geek Squad service to et it repaired for free (6 key was malfunctioning). Boy was that a mistake. I got my laptop back, 3 weeks later, all bashed, bruised, and in total worse condition than before. Grant it, they did fix the six key, though the keyboards back lights were no longer functioning. I gave them another chance, they replaced the lid- and all ther parts that were cosmetically damaged. I got it back just the other day, and the back light was still inactive. Their in-store tech took a look at it, and called me an hour later telling me to come pick up a new laptop. By then, I was furious with the amount of gas I've wasted, taking a twenty minute driver there and back five, now six times. They gave me a new G74VX-BH7N11 in replacement.
It came with Windows 8- which I was dreading already. I got it home, installed ;
Steam
Comodo Dragon
Then proceeded to **** it down for the night.
Just moments ago, I've attempted to turn it on, for it only to go to the RoG splash screen- then go to a off screen. With the notice lights still active under the trackpad, the power button was still lit aswell. I've shut it down, and rebooted it about five times now. I haven't been able to log in at all. There is no cursor, and Windows once gave me the option to restart my pc due to it not staring correctly(which still didn't work).

If I remember correctly, its Win8 Pro x64. I will be going out to the store to pick up a few items, so any information will be a help. Thank you.
14 REPLIES 14

dstrakele
Level 14
I suspect you encountered the video driver installation problem discussed in http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3170. Do the Recovery instructions in that article help you?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

DigitalZebra
Level 7
I updated my graphics drivers, and it didn't blackscreen.

So far so good, except on the Driver version 314, I've had the drivers stop working, and not be able to recover.

dstrakele
Level 14
No harm in backrevving to an earlier NVIDIA version. Sometimes the latest ain't the greatest...
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
No harm in backrevving to an earlier NVIDIA version. Sometimes the latest ain't the greatest...

yeah, just found that out. Driver failed 3 times, resulting in a system reboot, resulting in another blackscreen.

Time to install driver 310.

Bran187
Level 9
They gave you a G74 instead of another G75? Did they refund some of the price?

BrandeX
Level 9
That was probably a typo.

BrandeX wrote:
That was probably a typo.

Probably right. I just realized I don't think there is such a thing as a G74vx lol

Vicodin
Level 10
Wow... This is exactly why I just sold the Asus you see in my sig below on Ebay for $1500. I got it on sale for $1100, found two sticks of stock ram on ebay for $35.00, and the mSATA cost me $209.00. So all said and done after shipping it out I profited a little over $100.00 on it. I think I am going to roll with Clevo.

Vicodin wrote:
Wow... This is exactly why I just sold the Asus you see in my sig below on Ebay for $1500. I got it on sale for $1100, found two sticks of stock ram on ebay for $35.00, and the mSATA cost me $209.00. So all said and done after shipping it out I profited a little over $100.00 on it. I think I am going to roll with Clevo.
This is in no way or shape relevant in here.
------
as other have said its most likely that weird driver update issue, mine works fine with the newest driver, so dunno hard to troubleshoot it