cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

throttlestop.

grungeboy2
Level 10
so i've been playing with throttlestop lately. seems some people recommend it, whatever.

i've read what it's supposed to do, stop laptop cpu from entering lower multiplier values. i've been playing with it, and i've seen no real use for it.

i feel like i'm missing something. does throttlestop actually do anything? the only thing i've noticed is that locking my multiplier at 7.5 makes my laptop instantly freeze.

maybe it doesn't do anything for core2duo's but why does the creator insist that it does?

i can oc with setfsb all the way up to 2.4Ghz. is throttlestop somehow supposed to be able to oc? i just don't get what the fuss is about with it. it doesn't seem to do much of anything.
8 REPLIES 8

grungeboy2
Level 10
ok so after more research, i'm guessing that throttlestop allows for a few things that only affect you if you have a i-series. i'd love to hear comments on this and throttlestop in general.

does it help you in any way?

or

do you find it somewhat useless, providing no real benefit?

it should be noted that in it's uselessness i grant it that it's a one-stop shop. everything's there, no matter how much i don't need it. :lol:

Chastity
Level 10
It's useful for sandy notebooks
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

grungeboy2
Level 10
does it have any use for Core2Duo chips?

Retired
Not applicable
judging from the the tool works I doubt it is of any use on core systems because the way core and i's function are very different. I suggest you stick with setfsb for your core.

from what i could tell throttling is much less of a problem on the core2's.

i think it's funny, i'm looking at buying a old toshiba laptop for my dad. came across it for $200. pentium4 3.06Ghz. as far as we've come, we've really yet to beat that speed.

Retired
Not applicable
yea for it's time it's a real fast cpu, but one thing you should know is that speed is good but not always. When a processor works brute force at high speeds it tends to choke faster. Dual core cpu's and now core i cpu's are smart workers. This is because of working hard to run a mile to get something done, they tend to organize the steps in such a way that they take less distance to finish a task.

reorganization and parallel processing is a very interesting thing in processors. But it comes with a price, you can't force it to operate on higher speeds otherwise it wouldn't be able to organize sufficiently. This is proved when you overclock the core i's or even AMD cpu's they shut down all other cores at the cost of wanting to work at a higher frequency.

the current world record now as we speak is an AMD bulldozer churning at over 8Ghz but only 1 core of the seven is activated, it outbeat the old king of the hill Celeron.

dkillone
Level 9
Actually TS is good for C2D, if anything, ppl started using TS to overclock their C2D's(based on what I've read anyways), it wasnt really needed to ever stop them from throttling. It's main current use, for us Asus G series owners doesnt even require it to keep running(just start it up on boot and then closing it fixes the throttling problem instantly). And it's mainly to fix a bug that Asus wont, which is for the sandy bridge cpu down-clocking to 798mhz when there is significant load on cpu + gpu at the same time.

Retired
Not applicable
the bug of Asus G series lies in the chipset no? or is it a microcode update? good to know it's fixable.