cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thermal paste

ushhh
Level 7
Hi all I'm going to repaste my CPU and GPu and wondering which thermal paste do you guys think is better arctic cooling mx-4 or arctic silver 5 thanks
G75VW-DS73 | BIOS 223 | 3820QM | 32GB RAM | VERTEX 4 256GB SSD / SEAGATE SSHD 1TB | Intel 6235 WiFi
21 REPLIES 21

ushhh wrote:
i have a intel 3820qm installed so i think mine looks like this 19084

Thats its same idea since the cpu has no ihs like a desktop version.

thanks ill be giving it a go tomorrow when my thermal paste arrives
G75VW-DS73 | BIOS 223 | 3820QM | 32GB RAM | VERTEX 4 256GB SSD / SEAGATE SSHD 1TB | Intel 6235 WiFi

ushhh wrote:
thanks ill be giving it a go tomorrow when my thermal paste arrives

Remember AS5 is conductive so careful with it. Don't get it all over just on the core.

ManOfBusiness
Level 9
I killed my HP DV-7 with artic silver 5, too much paste, not enough cure time. be careful.
I use to say ASUS like AZEUS because I thought their products were the Gods of electronics...

ushhh
Level 7
How do I cure it

bignazpwns
Level 11
Again more bad info in this section.

Cure time will only give you slightly higher temps until it cures aka complete its thermal cycles. Over the course of a week since i repasted this VX i only seen a 2c drop since i applyed it. Note that just switching i seen a 10c drop right there.

Just fallow the guide. The ivy bridges you dont need to worry about to much in terms of getting it all over but this is what i do.

Put some on the middle of the core. Then i put my finger in a plastic bag get it night and tight and i dab the paste around the core till it is all covered. You want a even covering not to thick like in the pics shown on the website. Remember this is just to fill the small gaps in the surface of the metal not a interface between the heatsink and cpu.

Also dont bent your pins on your cpu. I always leave mine in the mobo when i do it. Just make sure you dont get any AS5 on your fingers and touch stuff since it is conductive. Thats the main issue i seen with people who should not be inside a pc for the fact they dont know what they are doing at all and burn out a cpu because they get it all over their fingers touch pins bridge connections and just dont take the time to clean or look for stuff. Sloppy job gets sloppy results.

If you want i can make you a vid of applying it on a cpu core. I mean its easy and you wont run into any problems but if i'll do it if you want.

ManOfBusiness
Level 9
You have to be sparing, as the paste cures it expands, that's where you run into problems.
I use to say ASUS like AZEUS because I thought their products were the Gods of electronics...

ManOfBusiness wrote:
You have to be sparing, as the paste cures it expands, that's where you run into problems.

Wow just stop posting.

The paste does not expand. Heck it don't even really dry out like other paste.

ushhh ignore what he says. I gave you the links direct from the manufacture. If you are still offy about putting it on i can make you a video showing you the process. And i never had any problems and i have been useing AS5 since the old AMD FX60 days and used it on everything from stock cooling all the way upto a water chiller build. However i will say when i bench with LN2 i use another paste since those temps are way way way bellow zero. But if you want i'll make you a nice clear and detailed video. I dont see you running into any problems.

I'll stop posting for you 😛 Maybe I should link pictures to my tear down. *Shrugs

Everyone who builds a decent PC knows arctic silver expands while curing,

Why are you so angry bignazpwns? are your nice guy partitions malfunctioning?

hey ushhh - did you install the 3820qm yourself? Was it difficult?