cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The story of how I ruined my G751JT

Icemixxy
Level 7
Hi everyone,

I thought I'd share my story, in case someone was thinking of doing something similar or just for the info it can provide, if there will be any,
I've had my G751JT for 1,5 years now and since the company handling the warranty service in my country is unreliable, I wasn't send it to them anyway.
I thought it was time for a nice cleaning, so I took the whole thing apart, applied some diamond thermal paste and connected a band of smd leds to the vents, just like in the "xotic pc afterburner fx"
I wore anti-static gloves, disconnected the battery at the first chance I had, proceeded with caution every step of the way.
Somehow, something, went very wrong.

Right now, the laptop turns on, boots into windows, but the screen is empty. During bootup, the screen is blank, but when Windows loads, the backlight is there, but the screen is black, as if I'm looking at a black picture in full screen. Also, I can use the laptop without problems on an external monitor.
Weird thing was, after I put it back together, before I soldered the leds onto the vents, I turned it on and it was still working.
For the love of me, I can't figure out what it is, so I took it to a repair shop in my city, at a first glance they said reballing the gpu. I doubt it, but I don't have a better idea.
Anyone experienced something similar?
PS: tried the remove battery, keep power pressed for x seconds/minutes after the screen issue. Didn't work.
I will try to keep you guys posted as much as I can with the outcome.

I have been dabbling with PCs for the past 15 years, took apart a few laptops aswell for cleaning, but this is the second one that died on the table. With the first, at the repair shop they said it wasn't my fault, just coincidence that the battery got shorted when I turned it on after cleaning.
I'm either too clumsy or have a tremendous amount of bad luck.

Hoping for some ideas of what could this be or calming words!:)
19 REPLIES 19

Damn! All cause you felt it needed cleaning.

I'll tell you one thing bud! You've got guts!!! 🙂

silkmoth33 wrote:
Damn! All cause you felt it needed cleaning.

I'll tell you one thing bud! You've got guts!!! 🙂

Not sure about guts, but I know what I have now: regret :)))

Also in current news: the repair centre called me, even though I took apart the laptop, I haven't touched the screen, so they will try and replace the screen in warranty. Now I'm just hoping it's the screen or the screen cables, not something on the mb. It will take a few days until the new screen gets here.

Compwxr
Level 9
I suppose it's the cable, happened the same thing to me, in different laptop, it's just trial and error. Try to disconnect and connect the screen cable again...
- Compwxr - Volter Team - Check us at http://voltground.com

Icemixxy
Level 7
I did. Nothing. Tried pressing it with my fingers while connected and laptop running, still nothing. Hoping it broke inside the screen and they will just solder it back at the repair shop

JustinThyme
Level 13
This screams of the cable or the connection. That connector is tiny with a lot of very small pins jammed into a small space. One bent pin is all it takes. Not to mention the way they put it in is less than desirable IMO. Just plugged in and held in place with gaffers tape.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Icemixxy
Level 7
I can only hope it will be that. It's been 1 week almost since I handed it in, they haven't called me yet. Allthough, I wouldn't rule out the nano thermal paste making a short somewhere

Icemixxy
Level 7
Good news. I got a call from the repair shop yesterday, the screen somehow died. The guy said, he didn't notice anything that would have been my fault (i.e. torn ribbon), so they replaced it under warranty. He says he didn't notice any bleeding on the new screen. I had bleeding in every corner on my old screen. They're gonna run a few tests and send it back to me. I just hope the delivery guy won't throw it around:)

Icemixxy wrote:
Good news. I got a call from the repair shop yesterday, the screen somehow died. The guy said, he didn't notice anything that would have been my fault (i.e. torn ribbon), so they replaced it under warranty. He says he didn't notice any bleeding on the new screen. I had bleeding in every corner on my old screen. They're gonna run a few tests and send it back to me. I just hope the delivery guy won't throw it around:)

Cool! Sounds like other than a bit of anxiety over the problem you might end up with a better machine than when you started.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

clockworksatan
Level 7
Great news!
Asus ROG G751JT-T7115H
17.3" IPS, Intel i7-4720HQ, 16Gb RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX970m, 256Gb M.2 SSD + 1Tb SSHD

Icemixxy
Level 7
Hey. got it back. the new screen has less bleeding as far as I've notived so far. my macro keys aren't working, but that's not a reason for me to stay without a laptop for 2 weeks. so in the end it seems it's all good.