cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The saga continues: possible memory failure

Gorman
Level 12
All of a sudden I start getting BSODs, and of course since I have 16gb of ram I don't have a page file. At first I suspected a failed hdd so I ran chkdsk on the suspect drive. Chkdsk failed, implying a broken file allocation table. I manage to fix that - but it resulted in all my drivers becoming corrupt. So armed with my new 600x800 resolution and no ability to connect to networks I made the decision to carpet bomb - reinstall windows.

However during the install... BSOD - page fault in non paged area!
What a bother. Well I'll just figure out which ram chip it is and take it out then, right?
No, not right. The g53 requires a full disassembly to swap two ram chips!
Scratch that plan, just call support and RMA.

Too bad the only call center in this country is in a time zone 3 hours ahead, so they all knock off at 2pm - and it's 4:30 already!

What a bother!

Luckily failed ram isn't hard to fix, you just swap it! Tomorrow I'll RMA and it should be done within a few days - if not on the spot!
*fingers crossed for 5th time RMA*
35 REPLIES 35

HiVizMan
Level 40
Gorman I have passed this thread onto one of the Aussie guys from ASUS who are on this forum, hope they can have this RMA go smoothly mate.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Gorman
Level 12
I think I need to reseat some memory hey...

Thanks HiVizMan, I'll shoot you (or if someone else contacts me) a PM once I get an RMA number tomorrow.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Bloody hell certainly looks that way. Yeah not sure if he has picked up the email yet but please do pm me as to the progress.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Gorman
Level 12
On hold for 20 minutes while they check the factory RAM.

Then they tell me they will call me back when they find out... That was an hour ago, it's now 30 minutes before they clock out 😧
Will they discover the elusive factory RAM for the G53jw-xt1 or will they time out?

EDIT: Called them back, they realized it was pointless to even bother checking since either way it needs to go in to the center....

HiVizMan
Level 40
Its like the one time I sent a screen back to LG, it had a bloody great hole in the centre of the monitor where a fork lift prong thing had pierced right though the box and a couple of other packages. Email response from LG "monitor is with our technitions for testing". Yeah right.

Gorman
Level 12
Apparently just 5 to 10 more working days!

It went up from "5 working days" to "5 to 10 working days". Of course, there was a month and a half between now and then...

dstrakele
Level 14
Apparently, that indicates you are speeding away from the ASUS Repair Center at a velocity approaching the speed of light. What type of engine are you using for propulsion?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Gorman
Level 12
A warp drive of course!

Though if the duration has increased then wouldn't I have to use dimensional manipulation to go back in time, rather than just dilate time?!

dstrakele
Level 14
No - the Repair Center is adjusting your laptop's ETA for completion of repairs to coincide with your slowdown in relative time. But just to be safe, watch out so you don't run over your Grandfather....
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT