cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The saga continues: possible memory failure

Gorman
Level 12
All of a sudden I start getting BSODs, and of course since I have 16gb of ram I don't have a page file. At first I suspected a failed hdd so I ran chkdsk on the suspect drive. Chkdsk failed, implying a broken file allocation table. I manage to fix that - but it resulted in all my drivers becoming corrupt. So armed with my new 600x800 resolution and no ability to connect to networks I made the decision to carpet bomb - reinstall windows.

However during the install... BSOD - page fault in non paged area!
What a bother. Well I'll just figure out which ram chip it is and take it out then, right?
No, not right. The g53 requires a full disassembly to swap two ram chips!
Scratch that plan, just call support and RMA.

Too bad the only call center in this country is in a time zone 3 hours ahead, so they all knock off at 2pm - and it's 4:30 already!

What a bother!

Luckily failed ram isn't hard to fix, you just swap it! Tomorrow I'll RMA and it should be done within a few days - if not on the spot!
*fingers crossed for 5th time RMA*
35 REPLIES 35

cl-Albert wrote:
Didn't realize you purchased it in the U.S. which could be a factor in trying to get a replacement (as well as repair time if the G53Jw isn't sold in Australia which you maybe shouldn't have to worry about), but if you were having the DC jack issues, a G53Jw replacement unit probably would not have made a difference for this problem at least...

I say give him a G55 replacement. Gorman's paid his RMA dues and deserves a break. Have Gorman post a video on YouTube of him doing the Harlem Shake while wearing an "I LOVE ASUS ROG" T-shirt as part of the deal....
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
Have Gorman post a video on YouTube of him doing the Harlem Shake while wearing an "I LOVE ASUS ROG" T-shirt as part of the deal....

I'm not doing that either way :I

dstrakele
Level 14
Not a problem... ASUS Management would prefer you appear in a promotional ad with PSY dancing Gangnam Style. They figure it'll play better in Asia...
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Gorman
Level 12
The sage continues: Part MMXIII: "Repairs complete email received"

A mere 2 (or so) months after sent in for repairs, it has been completed. We have the technology, and we have rebuilt!
Going to pick it up soon!

Will be raging hard if I hear "lol we didnt do anything" again!

chrsplmr
Level 18
hahhahaha .. yes, yes .. hahhahhaa .. this is great !!! roflm...OFF.c.

Gorman
Level 12
Laptop received.

They managed to absolutely destroy my windows install. I wonder if they destroyed everything on all HDDs and partitions?

Repair center's unofficial advice was to sell it. I kind of agree, but I don't want to be in the same boat as ASUS, selling known faulty goods...