cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The G55/G75 support for Steam OS

ggBanks
Level 10
Does anyone have a clue if ASUS is going to create any Linux drivers for the Steam OS, so we can try it out on our humble machines?
9 REPLIES 9

camu
Level 7
I dont see why you would want to put Steam OS on a gaming laptop.
It's completely focused on using Big Picture for gaming on your TV from the couch.
You would just be taking away everything that Windows offers you and your limit your laptop to only using steam 😛

Sorry it's kind of offtopic but I dont know about ASus' plans

It's highly unlikely, since SteamOS is an operating system designed to work specifically with hardware inside a gaming console that steam is developing.

you may/probably will see someone port a hacked/generic version at some point, but like Camu said... why would you want to turn a laptop into something that would operate only as a game console that will only run steam? Why wouldn't you just download steam for your laptop? It is available for Linux and Windows both.

ggBanks
Level 10
Steam OS will be installable on every computer. It is not created to run only on gaming console hardware. And the thing is that it offers good improvements in graphics performance. That's why I am asking. It would be a shame for a gaming OS not to be supported by a gaming company like ROG.

I didnt know about the improvement of graphic performance, but if you say it's installable on any PC then I guess I would suggest dual booting it if that's possible. Otherwise you might as well just buy a SteamBox (which is also pretty much just a PC).
I dont think PC/notebook manufacturers that focus on gaming (Dell, Asus, MSI etc) will be that interested in SteamOS.

some of ya'll are terrible. you don't know ANYTHING about what OP's asking about, but don't let that stop you from telling what to do and how to do it.

if you don't know, stay silent on the matter, or go learn about it.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Steam OS was released today. For all computers. It's in a beginning beta stage and should be expected to behave as such. It's very early on. As far as I know, it's based on a fork of Ubuntu 12.04 (i think). I'm not sure what drivers, if any, ASUS has put out for Linux on these laptops. That would be the place to start looking though.

Nvidia or ATI is going to be the place to look for video drivers.

Steam OS is out, for those daring, intrepid pioneers who dare to try it.

It has it's own unique set of benefits. It's a lightweight OS, focused simply on gaming. Meaning it should be faster (once it's optimized) over a full blown OS. It's also useful to a subset of people, usually who own gaming laptops, and visit gaming laptop forums, should they decide to hook their laptops up to big screen tv's.

I mean, jeez, if it sits on your desk all day, why have a laptop at all?

grungeboy wrote:
some of ya'll are terrible. you don't know ANYTHING about what OP's asking about, but don't let that stop you from telling what to do and how to do it.

if you don't know, stay silent on the matter, or go learn about it.

Don't be an asshat. You are posting information that was not available when we answered. Check the dates on the posts and compare them to what you posted.

Things change, and when they do, the facts change. In the meantime, post facts, not slams and insults.

camu wrote:

I dont think PC/notebook manufacturers that focus on gaming (Dell, Asus, MSI etc) will be that interested in SteamOS.

When ASUS or another OEM start offering drivers for a OS, they're also expected to support it. That means they would have to hire support staff with SteamOS experience. You've now just drastically increased the support cost for your product.

I think SteamOS is going to let the PC boutique vendors like us, Prostar, Origin, Mythlogic and others shine. It's a much smaller risk for us to support SteamOS than it is for someone like Dell or ASUS.
USA ASUS Reseller
http://www.neteffectspc.com

Shawnnepc
Level 13
ggBanks wrote:
Does anyone have a clue if ASUS is going to create any Linux drivers for the Steam OS, so we can try it out on our humble machines?

It's possible if SteamOS gets enough traction ASUS will support it in its newer releases.

I highly doubt there will be drivers for already released models
USA ASUS Reseller
http://www.neteffectspc.com

GottiBoi55
Level 10
I really doubt if Asus will publish any approved Asus drivers for the SteamOS.
Just check out any "driver download page" , and that will tell the story.
On the download page you will see win7, win8, and win8.1 drivers posted there!
But look under the tab marked "other" and you will see very few drivers there for Linux, or any other OS.
So if you view this historically, Asus's focused is on developing Windows based drivers for there products!

IMHO, if you really want to build a custom high performance PS based gaming console, SteamOS would be the way to go!
but you would probably have to search elsewhere for drivers.

Another way to go with the SteamOS would be a "Dual Boot" system.
This would be a great way to test driver for the new, and still in the "beta works" SteamOS.

If Steam really wants this OS to take off, I think they will need to work together with Linux to develop there own drivers.
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"