cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The best notebook RoG has to offer for Game Devs?

Lugh_Azreak
Level 7
I've already purchased the RoG Rampage IV Extreme MoBo and a GPU to match. It's powerful and I'm proud of RoG, I want to supply my entire team with laptops of similar quality. I've seen the new G75VW and it looks like a beast, but is it the best choice for game development? I'm hoping to find a Wacom embedded in the machine if that's possible. What I'm looking for is a notebook that displays true colors on the screen, High-def and a powerful trio of CPU, GPU and RAM. It'll be all about processing raw 3d graphics. 64-bit OS is important, and the machine needs to have a decent battery life, but it's not ok to sacrifice any computing power for longer life. And of course, the machine has to look like a boss, not just a rectangular beast disguised as a normal notebook. :cool: So... is the G75VW the one for me?
30 REPLIES 30

john_from_ohio
Level 11
Sounds like you want the high end mac book pro with a retina display ... 768 gb ssd ... and 16 gb ram 650M for just under 4 k a pop?

Lugh_Azreak
Level 7
Sure, if my software worked in a mac that'd be the one I'd take. But I'm never used a mac and don't have a clue how they even work.

Lugh Azreak wrote:
Sure, if my software worked in a mac that'd be the one I'd take. But I'm never used a mac and don't have a clue how they even work.

Parallels 7 for Mac runs Win 7 environments in a mac ... nice ... but hey I was just kidding the G75VW is an absolute beast but if you really need to upgrade RAM all the way up to 32 gb that involves accessing the top layer under the keyboard and is not easy to do.

Liquidus
Level 8
Why mac? Hardware is weaker.. you're basically paying 2 grand alone just for the logo and a few more pixels.

Liquidus wrote:
Why mac? Hardware is weaker.. you're basically paying 2 grand alone just for the logo and a few more pixels.

Ha, made me laugh, LOL! Anyway I do have an iphone 4S, but that's pretty much all I'm buying from apple. I know nothing about game development, only how to play games. So I'm not sure about what you need, but i will tell you that the G75 is a beast, and looks like one too!
Asus G75VW-NS72
Intel Core i7-3720QM 2.6GHz
16GB DDR3 1600MHz
750GB 7200RPM + 256G SSD
Nividia Geforce GTX 670M 3G GDDR5
Blu-ray Burner

"Right...very creepy. Forget I asked."
-Alistar DAO

Liquidus wrote:
you're basically paying 2 grand alone just for the logo and a few more pixels.

Umm well I was mostly kidding ... but if you have not checked out specs for new top of the line mac book pro ... resolution is 2880 x 1800 ... which is incredibly 2.5 times as many pixels as our 1080p displays have ... thats a whole bunch of pixels!

john_from_ohio wrote:
Umm well I was mostly kidding ... but if you have not checked out specs for new top of the line mac book pro ... resolution is 2880 x 1800 ... which is incredibly 2.5 times as many pixels as our 1080p displays have ... thats a whole bunch of pixels!

sure, but it's mostly a gimmic. there are no native apps that support that resolution, and there isn't a strong GPU to match those pixels for the 3D apps that can be scaled to that resolution. Again, it's all marketing. Something to boast about. Just like Steve's precious Siri.

... I'm not sure how apples work but I'm pretty sure you're thinking of the Iphone and not the Mac book Pro.

Lugh Azreak wrote:
... I'm not sure how apples work but I'm pretty sure you're thinking of the Iphone and not the Mac book Pro.
No, I'm talking about the latest Retina Macbook Pro. I'm saying it has a high resolution display, but doesn't have a good graphics card to back it.

Going back to your original post, the G75 (or really any gaming notebook) is a good choice due to its processor combined with a better graphics card, upgradable RAM and hdd space.