cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Temporary fix for the touchpad bug on G752VS - possibly solved??

FrOz3n
Level 7
Hi everyone,

Bored by the non-responsiveness of ASUS officials, I've messed around with the touchpad bug when resuming the laptop from sleep.

Fix:
1. Open "Device Manager";
2. Expand "Human Interface Devices" section;
3. Right-click on "ASUS Precision Touchpad";
4. Click "Disable";
5. Right-click on "ASUS Precision Touchpad"
6. Click "Enable

This does the trick and gets back the gestures working after sleep.

I'm not kind of a click guy, so I've automated this whole process.
Download this. It's a simple bat script I wrote which restarts the driver using devcon so that's why the devcon64.exe is in the archive.

Note: You need both files in the same directory for the script to work.

This enables you to only open the TouchpadFix file manually after windows resume.

Furthermore, you could schedule a task via "Task Scheduler".

Here are the task properties I've set:

Single trigger "On Event"

Make sure you uncheck "Start only if the computer is on AC power"

So if you schedule a new task, you won't even need to open the TouchpadFix file manually.

Hope I helped.
26 REPLIES 26

sharndowg wrote:
I have come to notice that it is not the sleep function which is stopping the driver from loading. It's the driver itself, it does not load properly again if it's ever turned off.

Disabling ASUS Precision Touchpad driver within Device Manager then enabling it does not bring back the gesture functions (it should). Once disabled, the only way to re-obtain touchpad gesture commands again is to Reboot the system. The driver will not load properly.

ASUS Precision Touchpad Ver: 11.0.0.18 (as listed in Device Manager)

ASUS PTP Driver Ver: 11.0.22 (as listed in Programs and Features)

ATK PACKAGE Ver: 1.0.00.50

There is no need to do all that. In the device manager, disable and reenable the "l2C HID Device". That will get things working again without having to reboot your computer (if your device list is the same as mine).

Regards,
Enterfrize

Below are the steps I have found to work for me. Special thanks FrOz3n for your guide and giving me the foundations to work with, I have played around with it for a hour or so and managed to find a similar but different solution which is bringing back Touchpad Gestures when cold booting/resuming from sleep.

Step 1:

In Device Manager, open up Human Interface Devices and right-click "I2C HID Device" and select Properties.

Go to Details tab, and from drop down menu select Hardware IDs. Confirm that there is a value " *ELAN1203 " in the list. (This is your Touchpad's Identifier/model).

Step 2:

Grab the devcon.exe for your version/build of Windows 10 HERE (use amd64 if you are running 64 bit windows) and follow the download, extract, and rename step(s) on the page. Important: As stated, rename this file "devcon.exe" exactly. Now, put this file (~80KB) in an empty new folder somewhere such as desktop for now and call the folder something relevant; "G752Touchpad_Fix" or whatever you choose. This will help you locate it later if you need.

Step 3:

Go HERE and grab the .bat file I modified. Extract and place this file in the exact same folder as the previous devcon.exe

Step 4:

Check to see if it works first. Right-Click on the .bat file and click edit. Notepad should open and this will be the code (and nothing else!):

%~dp0\devcon disable *ELAN1203
%~dp0\devcon enable *ELAN1203

Important! Make sure the last bit of code in the .bat file (*ELAN1203) matches value in Device Manager back in STEP 1!

If all is good, come back out and put your laptop to sleep. Awaken and confirm gestures are NOT working and find this folder again and run the .bat as Admin. You should see the command prompt window appear for a few seconds whilst it executes the code. It will disappear almost instantly again. Check to see if gestures are back. If they are not, something is wrong. Go back over the steps again. If they work, good job! Just one more thing to go!

Step 5:

Now, this folder needs to be placed in your C: drive somewhere to ensure admin rights don't get in the way. I placed my folder not too far; just in C:drive > Windows.

Create a Scheduled Task as FrOz3n did up top. Make sure to copy his pictures accurately. This time though, i will have TWO triggers, not one. Copy trigger 1 (Log: System, Source: Kernel-Power, Event ID: 107)

Create a new trigger, but this time use these values for drop down menu(s)> (Log: System, Source: Power-Troubleshooter, Event ID: 1)

Finish up the task setting as FrOz3n did and save.

[FYI, Event 107 is the system resuming from sleep, and Event 1 is the system has returned from a low power state, such as hibernate/hybrid/different power-off states etc etc. This is required because sometimes I found gestures still did not work if resumed from another state other than sleep. This basically covers all bases.]

Step 6:

Give it a bash! Hopefully now you can get on with your life and stop worrying about a god awful touchpad. The driver should load up under all circumstances! go you!

If you get stuck give me a shout, i might be able to help.

It worked for me! Nicely done!

Regards,
Enterfrize

Dear Asus Customer Service,
attached please find the screenshot of today's situation at the ASUS Republic of Gamers Official Forum: one after another, there are 3 different topics regarding Asus G752VS - ELAN touchpad problems.

Now there are even more people who reported that the unofficial ELAN touchpad patch I've mentioned last time fixes the ELAN touchpad problem for Linux too:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1653456/comments/144
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?93405-G-752-VS-Touchpad-Gesture-Fix

For your info, there's another reportedly successful unofficial ELAN touchpad fix, but I don't know if it makes the ELAN touchpad work under Linux too:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?93026-Temporary-fix-for-the-touchpad-bug-on-G752VS&p=68846...

Best regards,
worried Customer

Thank you very much for this tip! It works like a charm.
I was looking for a solution since weeks. ASUS support sucks as always.
I buy ASUS product since more than 15 years and this laptop will be the last ASUS product. The only thing they want is money, money and money again... and then never reply or reply bull****s.

So, thank you again for this tip 😄

If you find something to solve issue for the light bar that stays ON at each boot/reboot even if in the Gaming Center it is OFF, let us know. I tried all version until the last one (v2.14) and always the same thing.... light bar always ON

PS : I forgot to say, that I have a G752VM, not a G752VS. So this tip works for G752VM too.

Thank you so much sharndowg and everyone else who has contributed to this thread, this touchpad issue was driving me INSANE.

A few things to note is when you download devcon make sure you rename the extracted file to devcon.exe (not devcon64.exe like I did for some reason)
also, it's imperative that you select "run with highest privileges" in task scheduler when creating the task.

Thanks again everyone in this thread (excluding ASUS who for some reason were silent about this issue).

I cant believe that asus still didn't fix this issue. Until this time i used only asus products, but from now on i will newer use asus product again, and advise everybody i know not to buy asus product. They simply dont care about customers.

Emailed message 10.04.2018

Dear Asus Customer Service,
I would like to be informed about two most imporant things regarding my Asus G752VS laptop:

1)
will Asus release anytime soon the new BIOS update containing Meltdown and Spectre fixes?

2)
will this new BIOS update contain a fix for reported long standing ELAN touchpad issue and finally make the touchpad usable (wake the dead) under Linux?

Best regards,
worried Customer

Received Tue, Apr 17, 2018 from Asus Support:

Dear Asus Valued Customer,
Regarding the below described case, we kindly inform you that the responsible department of our HQ is informed about this issue and currently examining the possibility of a new BIOS release update.
Furthermore, we would like to inform you that at the moment, Asus officially will release vulnerability fixes only for 6th, 7th and 8th generation processors.
We invite you to check Asus website periodically in order for new BIOS update releases and latest information about the subject.

https://www.asus.com/News/YQ3Cr4OYKdZTwnQK
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1034979

Furthermore, we kindly inform you that we do not have any further information regarding the possibility of new BIOS update release containing a fix/patch for ELAN touchpad and we would also like to inform you that your product has not been officially tested by Asus with any OS other than Windows OS.
In case you are not satisfied by our reply above, please inform us accordingly before filling the satisfaction form.
In case you are satisfied by our reply above, we invite you to select 9 or 10 as a positive evaluation.
Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to get back in touch with us.

zvober wrote:
Received Tue, Apr 17, 2018 from Asus Support:

Dear Asus Valued Customer,
Regarding the below described case, we kindly inform you that the responsible department of our HQ is informed about this issue and currently examining the possibility of a new BIOS release update.
Furthermore, we would like to inform you that at the moment, Asus officially will release vulnerability fixes only for 6th, 7th and 8th generation processors.
We invite you to check Asus website periodically in order for new BIOS update releases and latest information about the subject.

https://www.asus.com/News/YQ3Cr4OYKdZTwnQK
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1034979

Furthermore, we kindly inform you that we do not have any further information regarding the possibility of new BIOS update release containing a fix/patch for ELAN touchpad and we would also like to inform you that your product has not been officially tested by Asus with any OS other than Windows OS.
In case you are not satisfied by our reply above, please inform us accordingly before filling the satisfaction form.
In case you are satisfied by our reply above, we invite you to select 9 or 10 as a positive evaluation.
Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to get back in touch with us.

So it looks like G752 and later. The only thing that comes to my mind is that this CPU Vulnerability must not be anywhere the threat that it has been made out to be. I mean there are millions more Pre 6th generation notebooks and desktops MB than there are post 6th and that's not going to change for many years yet.
The first patches that have come out slowed down CPU to a crawl so maybe you guys are lucky they're not going to screw up your notebooks.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro