cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System slowdown after installing Nvidia drivers (G750JS)

Rocca
Level 7
Hello, yesterday i received my brand new Asus G750JS, today i installed win 8.1 and all drivers from Asus website, at the end i went to nvidia website and downloaded gpu drivers. After installation restarted my pc and right away i realised there is a problem. Pc was booting way too long (like 1min or even more). Overal system performance is horrible, when i try to open any program i need to wait 10-20sec for system to move on, same with right click in desktop(10-30sec waiting before menu popup).
Reinstalled win 8.1 to check if it was some kind of weird crap but same thing happen, everything was ok with all other drivers untill i installed nvidia drivers.
After that i decided to try different version of gpu drivers and installed older one from asustek website. Same thing so its not about driver version.
In safe mode everything is fine, system load fast and shutdown fast, than again when i try to load normal windows same thing happen.
To be honest i have no idea where is the problem.
Is there any chance that my GPU is faulty and thats the reason pc is acting wierd with drivers installed?
Or maybe there is some issue between Intel gpu and nvidia gpu?
I am searching for someone with this problem but so far no luck.
10,629 Views
14 REPLIES 14

hmscott
Level 12
Rocca wrote:
Hello, yesterday i received my brand new Asus G750JS, today i installed win 8.1 and all drivers from Asus website, at the end i went to nvidia website and downloaded gpu drivers. After installation restarted my pc and right away i realised there is a problem. Pc was booting way too long (like 1min or even more). Overal system performance is horrible, when i try to open any program i need to wait 10-20sec for system to move on, same with right click in desktop(10-30sec waiting before menu popup).
Reinstalled win 8.1 to check if it was some kind of weird crap but same thing happen, everything was ok with all other drivers untill i installed nvidia drivers.
After that i decided to try different version of gpu drivers and installed older one from asustek website. Same thing so its not about driver version.
In safe mode everything is fine, system load fast and shutdown fast, than again when i try to load normal windows same thing happen.
To be honest i have no idea where is the problem.
Is there any chance that my GPU is faulty and thats the reason pc is acting wierd with drivers installed?
Or maybe there is some issue between Intel gpu and nvidia gpu?
I am searching for someone with this problem but so far no luck.


After doing all that updating, it is tough to say what is the cause, it might be the Nvidia 337.88 driver, as it is new, but it could be something else.

Do you notice a lot of disk IO going on after boot? The little white light on the front of the laptop, does it keep going even after you get to the desktop?

It could be that Windows indexing is running, since you have a new laptop and did all those updates it needs to reindex. It could also be prefetch/superfetch ordering things at boot keeping the boot slow - with all the installs it has to remake the cache.

Someone else here complained about a similar problem, and I suggested booting, letting the disk run for a while till it is done, then repeat this a couple of times, and he said his boots are now fast again.

Give that a try first, and see if that cures the problem.

Rocca
Level 7
2nd time i didn't do any windows updates, installed just chipset, touchpad and cardreader drivers. Than i installed intel gpu drivers and nvidia drivers, problem repeated so from my point of view the problem is either in gpu or the drivers. I left pc running for couple hours but even after that when i try to open nvidia control panel system is lagging badly and i need to wait more than 30sec for panel to show.
Hdd is working properly.

Rocca wrote:
2nd time i didn't do any windows updates, installed just chipset, touchpad and cardreader drivers. Than i installed intel gpu drivers and nvidia drivers, problem repeated so from my point of view the problem is either in gpu or the drivers. I left pc running for couple hours but even after that when i try to open nvidia control panel system is lagging badly and i need to wait more than 30sec for panel to show.
Hdd is working properly.


It isn't so much leaving it on for a long time as it is repeating the boot process a few times so the boot ordering can be done - it takes a few times to complete.

Every time you do an install, it has to go through that process again, through several reboots, before it is done again.

So it takes 30 second for the Nvidia control panel to come up, from right click on desktop, starting from control panel, or from Geforce Experience on systray app?

If you tried it after leaving the laptop sit for a couple of hours, unless you changed the HDD sleep settings in the Power Options, the drive went to sleep and needed to spin up again. That can add a long delay to the startup of an app / control panel. Set the HDD timeout to 0 in the Advanced section of the Power Option template you are using.

Also if you just loaded a new Nvidia driver, there could be delay as it loads the optimizations for all the app optimizations Geforce Experience downloaded for you.

Does the Nvidia Control panel take 30 seconds to come up again the 2nd, or 3rd time you go into it - after exiting it previously?

Rocca
Level 7
I did like 15-20restarts already nothing is changing, also i have hdd timeout on 0.
It takes 30 second for the Nvidia control panel to come up from desktop. Also i forgot to mention that last time i even tried to install only graphic driver without nvidia experience and psychx to make sure thats not creating the problem but nothing changed.

Rocca wrote:
I did like 15-20restarts already nothing is changing, also i have hdd timeout on 0.
It takes 30 second for the Nvidia control panel to come up from desktop. Also i forgot to mention that last time i even tried to install only graphic driver without nvidia experience and psychx to make sure thats not creating the problem but nothing changed.


Rocca, so you reinstalled Windows 8.1, did you do a complete restore back to the original OEM Asus recovery, and then do a Windows 8.1 install again, along with drivers, etc and ended up with the original Asus Nvidia driver that came with the laptop? And it is now still slow?

Rocca
Level 7
Yes my G750JS was without system so i installed fresh win 8.1. To make sure other drivers arent cause of this problem i didn't install any driver that is not vital for system to work. Before i installed nvidia drivers (yes the one that are on asustek website) i played around with system for an hour or two, browsed some websites, launched movie and everything was fine. Right after i installed nvidia drivers problem occured again.

So to make things clear,
3 formats in total, 2 different versions of nvidia gpu drivers, newest one from nvidia website and older one from asustek website (335.xx)
each time different setup:
1st time all updates, all drivers = system is slow
2nd time no drivers exept chipset and intel gpu and nvidia gpu drivers = system is slow
3rd time like 2nd but installed nvidia drivers without nvidia experience and psychx = same thing

Each time before i install nvidia drivers system is working perfect and after drivers are installed system is slowing down right away.

Rocca wrote:
Yes my G750JS was without system so i installed fresh win 8.1. To make sure other drivers arent cause of this problem i didn't install any driver that is not vital for system to work. Before i installed nvidia drivers (yes the one that are on asustek website) i played around with system for an hour or two, browsed some websites, launched movie and everything was fine. Right after i installed nvidia drivers problem occured again.

So to make things clear,
3 formats in total, 2 different versions of nvidia gpu drivers, newest one from nvidia website and older one from asustek website (335.xx)
each time different setup:
1st time all updates, all drivers = system is slow
2nd time no drivers exept chipset and intel gpu and nvidia gpu drivers = system is slow
3rd time like 2nd but installed nvidia drivers without nvidia experience and psychx = same thing

Each time before i install nvidia drivers system is working perfect and after drivers are installed system is slowing down right away.


Rocca, is this one of the systems that doesn't come with Windows, and instead comes with DOS only?

Someone else was on here a while back with that, and had similar problems. He took his back and got one that included Windows.

There is something going on with those DOS systems that is causing this problem, where a Microsoft Windows 8.1 install + Asus Downloads + Nvidia drivers doesn't work right.

Can you do that? Swap for one that comes with Windows pre-installed? And, then backup that install with Asus Backtracker to a flash recovery drive.

Better yet, do you know someone with an Asus Windows install on a JS that you could access to create a Flash recovery drive using Asus Backtracker? Maybe even the seller / shop has a demo you can use to restore to your machine - that might be the best shot at getting a Windows config that works.

If you bought a WIndows 8.1 license, it should be legal, you are just looking for the media with the config you need to work on that laptop.

Rocca
Level 7
Yes it comes with DOS preistalled. I have win 8.1 license from school thats why i didn't buy laptop with windows included since it was cheaper. I ordered my laptop via internet from asus reseller. I don't know anyone who have this laptop and since this laptop just showed in my country availability may be a problem.
Maybe i just contact asus technical support or technical support from the shop where i get it and ask what do they think.

Btw. sorry for my bad english, hopefully you can understand what i mean and also i would like to thank you so much for fast responce and wasting your time to respond each time 🙂

Rocca wrote:
Yes it comes with DOS preistalled. I have win 8.1 license from school thats why i didn't buy laptop with windows included since it was cheaper. I ordered my laptop via internet from asus reseller. I don't know anyone who have this laptop and since this laptop just showed in my country availability may be a problem.
Maybe i just contact asus technical support or technical support from the shop where i get it and ask what do they think.

Btw. sorry for my bad english, hopefully you can understand what i mean and also i would like to thank you so much for fast responce and wasting your time to respond each time 🙂


Rocca, what is the name of the DOS, it has a trade name, that the other guy put in his posts, you could search for that in the forums, look him up, and send him a PM to see how he resolved this problem. You might also search on the model name, your country name, etc, anything that could help you find his posts / our thread.

Happy to help, come back and visit more 🙂