cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuttering/skipping frames after overclocking G73JH?

octiceps
Level 7
This week I started overclocking the Radeon 5870 in my G73JH, and I was able to get it completely stable at 825/1085. Stock clocks are 700/1000, so it's not like I went completely bonkers on this thing. In fact, I'm not even going to use this overclock at all; I just wanted to get an idea of how far I can push the GPU.

Anyway, after doing the above, I started playing games at my overclock. That was when I started noticing some stuttering or sudden frame rate dips during gameplay. It's most apparent in fast-moving Source games such as Team Fortress 2 or CS:S but it also exists to a lesser degree in other games. So in these games, I'm normally running around at 100+ FPS but about every 10 seconds or so the frame rate drops down to almost 0 for a fraction of a second before going back up to 100+. It almost feels like the game is skipping frames during those times. That split-second freeze also happens when something graphically intensive takes place for the first time, such as when I first turn on the flashlight or an explosion happens.

Since I started noticing this, I've brought my clocks back down to stock, but to no avail; the stuttering is still there. Nothing else on my system is overclocked or has ever been overclocked except the GPU.

Just to clarify, my temperatures during all of this are absolutely fine. I never go above 80 C in FurMark Xtreme Burn-In or games after running for hours on end, so that's not a problem. Also, the stuttering is not due to my Ping during online play because that's fine too. Hard drive has also been defragmented and the system is otherwise performing brilliantly.

Here's the rest of my specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Core i7 740QM (1.73 GHz)
6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz
5400 RPM HDD
BIOS 213
Chastity VBIOS OD2
Catalyst 11.10
ASUS G73Jh | Intel Core i7-740QM | ATI Mobility Radeon 5870 1GB GDDR5 | 6GB Hynix DDR3-1333 | Seagate Momentus 640GB 5400 RPM HDD | HD+ 1600x900 Display | Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 | vBIOS 93 | AMD Catalyst 12.3
0 REPLIES 0