cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

still afraid

Bryan123
Level 7
im still afraid to upgrade my g75vw to win 8 pro by reading the threads here in the forum. When will it safe? i want to upgrade it too but im afraid that my camera wont work, drivers wont work and many stuffs 😞
11 REPLIES 11

rewben
Level 13
is there any particular reason that you need to upgrade? if your system is fine for your usage, there is actually no need to do that.

i did it because the stock OS has a ram limit, and it was a good deal (and to be honest, normally you don't need 32gb ram; that is excessive and a waste of money).

mrwolf
Level 10
Yea ive got G75-vw windows 7 and im harrdcore gamer.. Have no reason to upgrade to win8 :)) Infact i prefer win7 lol.. My next laptop (probably alienware m18x with dual gtx 680's) will prob be win8..

Zygomorphic
Level 17
I would advise against it. Win 8 provides nothing except a lousy interface, and a better boot time. Since I sleep my computer for most things, that is not an issue. You do get DirectX 11.1, but the G75VW doesn't support past DX11, so that's not a gain either. If you do update, and there aren't drivers, just install the Windows 7 drivers and things should work. I did that when I was running the Dev Preview, since Win 8 is very similar on a kernel level to Win 7. A number of drivers should just work.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

well i was on win 8 and all my hardware worked even camera.... but if i must say the only major problem i had was a wierd gaming perfromance and problem with wifi with the lights (it was always on i had to turn it manual off)... i went back to win 7 2 days ago... i dont see any improvment but as a UI win 8 was clearly more advanced (less bugged "my opinnion) well still there is no big reason to go to win 8... still missing some support tho.

I agree, I don't see any reason to upgrade to win 8 on a VW. I had it installed for a couple of weeks on one of my workstations. I was able to bypass the lock screen and tile screen. I had a start button programed just like I'm used to. I didn't really see any great improvements over win 7 pro. My MB P7P-55D-Pro did not support win 8 Pro yet just about everything worked at least as good as Win 7, except for the Asus software for this MB which controlled the CPU Stepping. OC worked no problem but CPU would not step down when not needed. I put Win 7 pro back on. My wife has a HP Touch Screen with win 8 pro, I gave her a start button and she still has the lock screen and opens to the tile desk top. She is a normal user not a multitasker, one screen at full screen. She is learning the tile interface, she still uses the normal desktop most of the time. Over 2 months now I don't see any great things in win 8 for power users. As far as stability goes our experience is that she still needs a full complete reboot every few days or things start getting flaky. I had to create a full shut down button for her to accomplish this its rather complicated to get a complete shutdown or full restart. I have the cheap upgrades for all my computers I'm thinking SP1 should bring back the start button interface for PC's and in another year or so i'll upgrade my workstations with new MB and CPU's will probably put win 8 pro on them at that time.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
If you want to try it and didn't already know, just about all the G75VW Win8 drivers are posted on the ASUS download site as below and Win 8 driver support should be pretty good since the G75VW is sold by ASUS with Win8 as well, so you don't need to worry too much about lack of Win8 driver support for the G75VW.
It sounds like some of the earlier G75VW Win7 units might be using a camera not supported by Win8, but I haven't had a chance to confirm this.
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G75VW&p=3&s=388

Bryan123 wrote:
im still afraid to upgrade my g75vw to win 8 pro by reading the threads here in the forum. When will it safe? i want to upgrade it too but im afraid that my camera wont work, drivers wont work and many stuffs 😞

john_from_ohio
Level 11
Only reason I would run Win 8 is if I get a new machine where it is already installed.

Nothing wrong with Win 7 ... my system is WIn 7 Pro after doing using upgrade assistant.

gammite
Level 7
I am not sure what your usage style is but windows 8 pro is great for me. I have windows 8 pro with MC running great on both my g75vw and my g73sw. I know some folks are put off by the user interface. however, once the learning curve is crossed windows 8 is much better than windows 7. not exaggerating. the under the hood improvements make windows 8 much faster and literally makes a number of previously tedious operations much more simple.

I tell anyone that is willing to learn and has the right equipment to go with win8.

Area_66
Level 11
if you have an external drive, do a system image, so if you don't like 8 you can restore. But if you ask me, stick with 7 , I use 8 since 16 months on VM and since August on 2 PC here, and on my new WS, I install 7.