cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still a problem with G53SW throttling...

Alesat
Level 7
I have read for a while that there is a common problem with G series laptops that they throttle in games, dropping the framerate to a very low level. I have G53SW, and i have this problem: when i play some recent games of few years ago, at first they are very smooth, but after few minutes, its framerate gets lower, plus i see the laptop fan holes getting very hot. I have to go back to windows, wait few minutes and refresh the game window to get it back to normal speed, but it temporanely works, before getting slow again.
I tried to use Throttlestop for this, but i can't resolve this with that because, unless i don't set multipler to "Turbo" and disable it, the game starts getting very slow plus audio errors, before shutting down the system.
I have read that this is a problem of very high temperature, which can't be handled by the GPU. But i just don't really know how to solve this. I have thought to send my computer to ASUS assistance in order to clean the fans and to fix few stuff, but i just need my computer because i have especially to work at it (i'm a photoshop artist and 3D maya user).
Is there any kind of way to make throttlestop working correctly, without shutting down the system? What kind of Throttlestop settings should i use for a G53SW laptop? It's pretty strange a laptop like G53SW, which is pretty capable, can't handle even older games than the laptop itself.

This is my Throttlestop's latest log.
8 REPLIES 8

unclewebb
Level 10
Look at your log file. Your GPU is getting up to 98C. You can't expect maximum performance when your laptop is running this hot. It needs to be thoroughly cleaned and if that doesn't improve your temperatures significantly then it is time to remove the heatsink and fan and replace the thermal paste with the best paste you can find.

Gaming laptops need regular maintenance like this if you wish to achieve maximum performance. If you send this to a repair shop you are not likely to have this done properly. Shops do not have the time to get your laptop working at 100%. You need to learn how to do this yourself.

Your only other option is to use ThrottleStop to significantly slow your CPU down which will reduce the amount of heat in your laptop. This might allow your GPU to run at its rated speed without overheating and shutting down or throttling.

Throttling down the CPU won't help much, since the CPU and GPU have independent cooling systems. There may be a little bit of ambient heat exchange via radiation and conduction through the air, but otherwise, the left vent (from the user's perspective) is the CPU vent, and the right vent is the GPU vent. I would recommend stripping the laptop down and redoing the paste job. Everyone who has done it says that it helps tremendously.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Thanks for the replies! They were very informative!
At the moment i am going to try to slow down my CPU (am i doing it with Clock modulation, right?).
The main problem with opening my laptop is that it's still under warrantly and if i open it, it will automatically expire (even if the warrantly expires circa this october, so it is not very much, compared to two years). Then i have never done these operation with a computer, i have done something of similar with a Game Boy Advance, when i wanted to replace broken button gums with good ones.
In any case, first: Is this a hard operation to do? And in case cleaning is not enough, where do i find all the necessary to do these replacing operations? Where can i find good tutorials for this?
Sorry, but i'm not a computer expert, therefore, i'm not familiar with these stuff.

Zygomorphic wrote:
Throttling down the CPU won't help much, since the CPU and GPU have independent cooling systems.

Thanks for that info. Slowing the CPU down works on many laptops that use a single heatsink for the CPU and GPU but you're right, on the G53W, this trick will not help out much at all.

The only option is a thorough cleaning. How hard is it to get to the heatsinks? Blowing the dust out of a laptop can significantly improve cooling, especially if this has never been done before. This might be a good first step if Alesat is not comfortable replacing the heatsink paste.

unclewebb wrote:
Thanks for that info. Slowing the CPU down works on many laptops that use a single heatsink for the CPU and GPU but you're right, on the G53W, this trick will not help out much at all.

The only option is a thorough cleaning. How hard is it to get to the heatsinks? Blowing the dust out of a laptop can significantly improve cooling, especially if this has never been done before. This might be a good first step if Alesat is not comfortable replacing the heatsink paste.

Considering how hard it is to disassemble my G53SX, I would say pretty tough. You might be able to blow (gently) in through the grills in the back and help to dislodge some of the dust. Be careful not to ruin the fans by revving them up too much. I do know that a significant fraction of the airflow in the laptop comes in through the speaker grille, so you may be able to blow through there as well.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Alesat
Level 7
Ok, seeing the situation i think i'll have to listen to unclewebb. I can't find any other cause besides of dust or outdated paste.
The only thing i know is that this will be a problem i have to solve of my own. I would be comfortable opening my laptop replacing the heatsink paste, the problem is the warrantly.

Alesat
Level 7
I still have a question.
For now i blew a bit on these areas but i don't think it will work very well, i think it'll need to be cleaned from inside. I saw a Youtube video of someone disassembling my same model and all i saw was a pain in the ass: i tried to do the first step, but i can't even pull out the keyboard piece. also, this computer is still in warrantly.

I was thinking: any repair shop won't be able to clean this stuff (if, very likely, there is, since it's almost two years i have this and have never cleaned it on the inside), but could the ASUS's assistance do something? I thought to do so even because there is something wrong with my monitor's 3D vision sensor: it is not detected by the USB cable (Port_#0005.Hub_#0004 are not detected) so i would like my monitor piece to be plugged correctly on my system... but i may be wrong, since i'm not a technician, i just guessed it. Since changes are that i will not be able to clean a seal like G53SW without breaking something, will the ASUS's assistance do an accurate work? Since i want to take advantage of the warrantly and of the fact that 3D vision is not plugged correctly, i was thinking so. Any advice or feedback?

Alesat
Level 7
I have a new question, similar to the unanswered one above, about ASUS assistance.
Since i want to replace the monitor (in case the IR emitter was faulty) and want to take advantage of the warrantly, how many changes there are that the ASUS assistance will replace my graphics card (which, i suppose, is also incorporated into the motherboard)? It may seem silly, but i heard about a problem of someone who had the fan of his laptop's graphics card broken, therefore, he would have his laptop overheating. How many changes there are that i have my graphics card broken?