cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standard G551JW issues

Senk715
Level 7
Hi there guys!

I just bought a ROG G551JW some weeks ago and I installed a Win 8.1 PRO on it then upgraded to Win 10. The following issues were the same on both operating systems, and all drivers are up to date from Asus website, so now I'm in the need of some help.

1) The HDMI sound issue is a highly searched term even here on the website. Unfortunately I cannot make it work. I have a 720p Denver (stupid) TV with an HDMI connection. However I try to connect the HDMI to my laptop, it always says in the Playback devices that it is unplugged. On my Girlfriend's high caliber Toshiba, the issue only comes if the HDMI was not connecting during BOOT so I tried so on my Asus but it didn't help. Any idea?

2) The keyboard backlight stuff. On neither of the operating systems, the keyboard backlight was not turning on for the windows login screen. Doesn't matter whether I just started the computer or wake it, the backlight is off. That is pretty annoying with the black style button as I'm usually working late night and booting early in the morning.

3) Sleep/Hybernate no wake. In the last few days a new anomaly appeared. Whenever I make the laptop go to sleep and wake it up the login screen appears (as im using the M.2 ssd, it does it in like 2 seconds). Cursor appears and I can click on the password field but can't enter anything into it. The help and power button in the corner is greayed out. After like 30 seconds, the screen turns black, and only the power button led is on and the noise of the fans. Nothing happens afterwards, I have to force shutdown and restart, all task lost ofc.
With hybernate it's a bit easier, I make the laptop go hybernate and after wakeing up, it makes a much slower than usual clear bootup. No tasks reloaded, just a clear bootup but slower then a normal shutdown->boot process.

I hope you guys can help, I'm browsing the internet for 24 hours now to find some closer answers on these anomalies.

Thank's for your help,
Senk
7 REPLIES 7

Black_Phoenix
Level 8
The first question never tested, but will tomorrow;

The second one have the same problem. For the start up of the Windows, since I didn't have a start-up password it doesn't bother that much but for example in the BIOS is were I miss it. For what I read is suppose to work that way, since during the Log In page the drivers needed for the keyboard light are not loaded yet;

The third one I did not have that problem, in Sleep or in Hibernate.

Black Phoenix wrote:
The first question never tested, but will tomorrow;

The second one have the same problem. For the start up of the Windows, since I didn't have a start-up password it doesn't bother that much but for example in the BIOS is were I miss it. For what I read is suppose to work that way, since during the Log In page the drivers needed for the keyboard light are not loaded yet;

The third one I did not have that problem, in Sleep or in Hibernate.

I don't have a G551 the back light behavior seams to be the opposite of the G751 (always on then turned off via software).

Try identifying what executable is handling the back light behavior, then remove / disable it from start up and then create a scheduled task triggered to launch at startup.

As well if you don't need / want the security hit the winkey then type in 'netplwiz' hit enter then uncheck 'Users must enter a user name ... ' enter your creds and forever bypass the login.

bartat404
Level 7
I can answer the HDMI one. I had to re-install the Intel HD graphics driver and manually choose that driver in device manager as Windows still prefers "High Definition Audio Device" instead of the Intel HD drivers.

ASUS ROG GL551JW
Intel Core i7-4720HQ 16GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

bartat404 wrote:
I can answer the HDMI one. I had to re-install the Intel HD graphics driver and manually choose that driver in device manager as Windows still prefers "High Definition Audio Device" instead of the Intel HD drivers.

Unfortunately can't make it happen. HDMI is not appearing in the Device manager under any Sound tab, and as long as my hybrid jack connector is not working with MICs with even the original driver, I'm afraid to reinstall the Intel as the Main sound driver.

Try identifying what executable is handling the back light behavior, then remove / disable it from start up and then create a scheduled task triggered to launch at startup.

Annoying that I have to manage the keyboard backlight with a software when windows stops everything since Win7 before boot. 😕

Thank you for you help guys, anyways!

Senk715 wrote:
Annoying that I have to manage the keyboard backlight with a software when windows stops everything since Win7 before boot. 😕

Um not sure I understand what you are saying. If you are saying you can't launch stuff at boot, Google 'Windows 10' and 'Task Scheduler' The name of this has changed, some of the functionality, and how you manage it, but the core functionality hasn't changed in meaningful way since NT 4.0. Just type 'task' into start and it will show up.

There is a chance the app won't like running outside of user space.

It is likely already one of the 'ATK Package *' entries already in the MMC so you would only need to edit the trigger (export first in case you want to restore back by defaults)

Attached is the create / edit trigger screen you will clearly see 'At startup', it gets pretty advanced as well with custom triggers, but that is outside of your needs.

Not sure how much more 'before boot' would be useful.

joshindaphils wrote:
Um not sure I understand what you are saying. If you are saying you can't launch stuff at boot, Google 'Windows 10' and 'Task Scheduler' The name of this has changed, some of the functionality, and how you manage it, but the core functionality hasn't changed in meaningful way since NT 4.0. Just type 'task' into start and it will show up.

There is a chance the app won't like running outside of user space.

It is likely already one of the 'ATK Package *' entries already in the MMC so you would only need to edit the trigger (export first in case you want to restore back by defaults)

Attached is the create / edit trigger screen you will clearly see 'At startup', it gets pretty advanced as well with custom triggers, but that is outside of your needs.

[PICTURE]

Not sure how much more 'before boot' would be useful.

First, thank you for your answer.

I think the trigger marks up the firmware of the back light after login. I will try to find it as previously advised and trigger it to Start up. Maybe it will help.

I figured out that the sleep problem is turned by the battery and the powerplug. I left my laptop with about 60% battery for an hour in sleep mode and when I turned it back on the battery led started to blink but the laptop turned on. Login screen appeared but wasn't interactive. I saw in the corner of the screen the red X for no battery so I plugged in the charger. Immediately my laptop restarted itself. Thats pretty annoying.

Another thing is that whenever I plug in the laptop while using it, all the USB devices are reconnecting.