cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stable Refresh Rate? (Hz)

rawpure
Level 7
So have accepted that the screen isnt the best of its kind, so been thinking what i can do to satisfy the loss abit 😛

Been running 85Hz with no errors, and im wondering how do i notice if the refresh rate is stable, does it totaly flip out or are there small pixels i need to check for? running on 100hz now and it seems fine to me.

Are there any sideeffects of running in 100? or 85?

Hugs 😛
24 REPLIES 24

Dream
Level 7
+1, I'd also like to know.
ASUS G750JX-TB71

• CPU: i7-4700HQ @ 2.40 GHz.
  • Graphics: GeForce GTX 770M 3 GB GDDR5 RAM
  • Screen: 17.3' Full HD Matte Screen @ 100Hz
  • Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz. RAM 2x8
  • Storage: 500GB SSD 850 EVO + 750GB HDD @ 7200rpm
  • TC: IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU

hmscott
Level 12
rawpure wrote:
So have accepted that the screen isnt the best of its kind, so been thinking what i can do to satisfy the loss abit 😛
Been running 85Hz with no errors, and im wondering how do i notice if the refresh rate is stable, does it totaly flip out or are there small pixels i need to check for? running on 100hz now and it seems fine to me.
Are there any side effects of running in 100? or 85? Hugs 😛

rawpure, I asked Asus these questions toward the end of July/2013:

HI XXX, ...

1) I would still like to know if it is ok to set the refresh rate at 85hz, 90hz, or 100hz, as
the image display and the motion in graphics programs improves.

2) Is there anything negative about doing it? Will it generate too much heat in
components, etc. I realize the default setting is 60hz, but since it is possible to set
higher, and it looks better, I would like to set it higher than 60hz. I also realize this
isn't a 120hz supporting panel, but it works up to 100hz.

3) Will the LCD panel electronics update the LCD faster than 60hz. If I set it to 85hz
is it updating 15 times more per second than at 60hz? (yeah, I know I should have said 25 times 🙂 )

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.
My name is XXX and it is my pleasure to help you with your problem.

For the first question, it is OK to set the rate at 60-100hz.But you may feel the screen is flashing.

For the second one, it won't be negative for your laptop.Acturally, you can choose any rate among 60-100hz.

For the third one, the refresh rate of 85 means the image is refreshed 85 times in a second.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For me 100hz is stable. And, by stable I mean that there aren't any display artifacts under any use conditions that I have tried, for a number of months.

The unstable symptoms, starting at 105hz for me, are tearing pixelated lines - that start up randomly - at 110hz they start up right away - at 120 hz it is unusable.

For gaming, the thing to note is that for some games VSYNC is still 60hz, but newer games notice the 100hz setting and for those games VSYNC is at 100hz.

kingfish
Level 7
thanks hmscott for the info. 🙂

im having 120 here..everything fine so far, but when i watch 3D movies, 100 is the stable one...any advice?
G751JT | 24GB | 2 x 1TB HDD | Nvidia GTX 970M | Windows XP

kingfish wrote:
thanks hmscott for the info. 🙂
im having 120 here..everything fine so far, but when i watch 3D movies, 100 is the stable one...any advice?

Well, you have a 3D panel, which is supposed to be stable at 120hz. Not sure how that equates during a 3D movie as I think there are 2 image streams, both taking half the 120hz - so not having one I can't say what the correct setting will be 60hz or 120hz...

What was the original refresh setting? 60hz or 120hz? Is there a configuration for normal use and 3D use, I would think there should be 2 settable settings, one for 3D mode and one for non-3D mode.

Nvidia provides the ability for per application settings, but I don't know if that includes refresh rate. That would make it easier, just set the default to be 120hz (or?), and drop it down to 60hz for the 3D movie application.

If you think about it, if you are able to sustain 100hz on both image streams for a 3D movie that is 200hz... I am not going to recommend trying to set the 120hz panel above 120hz, but if I had one I might ask Asus about that possibility, like I did for running the 60hz panel at 100hz.

But, that 100hz/200hz setting means you also need to be sync'd with the IR laptop/glasses sensor - and that needs to run at the same sync rate / refresh as the screen.

Please come back and let us know what you figure out 🙂

hmscott wrote:
Well, you have a 3D panel, which is supposed to be stable at 120hz. Not sure how that equates during a 3D movie as I think there are 2 image streams, both taking half the 120hz - so not having one I can't say what the correct setting will be 60hz or 120hz...

What was the original refresh setting? 60hz or 120hz? Is there a configuration for normal use and 3D use, I would think there should be 2 settable settings, one for 3D mode and one for non-3D mode.

Nvidia provides the ability for per application settings, but I don't know if that includes refresh rate. That would make it easier, just set the default to be 120hz (or?), and drop it down to 60hz for the 3D movie application.

If you think about it, if you are able to sustain 100hz on both image streams for a 3D movie that is 200hz... I am not going to recommend trying to set the 120hz panel above 120hz, but if I had one I might ask Asus about that possibility, like I did for running the 60hz panel at 100hz.

But, that 100hz/200hz setting means you also need to be sync'd with the IR laptop/glasses sensor - and that needs to run at the same sync rate / refresh as the screen.

Please come back and let us know what you figure out 🙂

when using 3d glass that comes with the unit, and the asus 3d vision application for 3d viewing, and if i set the refresh rate (RR) to 120, there is flickering when ever i turn the keyboard lights on. at 100, it s perfect, no flickering and others, but also if i bring down the RR, again flickering starts.

but on my normal viewing like not using the 3d, i can set the RR to 120 and its working fine too.

im not familiar with things functions. any advice is very much welcome.

BTW, using asus 3d vision, all movies are in 3d mode. 🙂
G751JT | 24GB | 2 x 1TB HDD | Nvidia GTX 970M | Windows XP

kingfish wrote:
when using 3d glass that comes with the unit, and the asus 3d vision application for 3d viewing, and if i set the refresh rate (RR) to 120, there is flickering when ever i turn the keyboard lights on. at 100, it s perfect, no flickering and others, but also if i bring down the RR, again flickering starts.

but on my normal viewing like not using the 3d, i can set the RR to 120 and its working fine too.

im not familiar with things functions. any advice is very much welcome.

BTW, using asus 3d vision, all movies are in 3d mode. 🙂

Cool, I love watching 3D movies 🙂

What refresh rate is default? What was it set to before you started trying higher speeds? Does the refresh rate change when you open a 3D movie?

When I am not using the built in keyboard, I put the white sheet of protective paper/cloth over the screen to keep dust out and keep light in if the keyboard is lit. That might cut out enough light from the keyboard to not interfere with the IR sensor.

The IR sensor might be getting interference at the higher refresh rates - the signals from the IR sensor are prone to light interference from the screen / keyboard. See if you can shield the IR sensor from the screen/keyboard light - kinda like an SLR camera lens with a hood - it will need to be wide enough for the signal to be seen by the glasses - if you get too far to one side or the other - or stand up - if hooded it might cut out the signal. Of course this would just be a test, having a cone coming out from your laptop screen top is gonna look weird. 🙂

How about non-3D gaming at 120hz?

kingkaan
Level 7
Mine is good at 100hz... i tried 120hz and it was unstable so i had to rollback to 100hz

jsarver
Level 11
What graphic issues will be noticed if you set 100hz but ur frame rate is only able to hit say 80 in game? Tearing/dips?

jsarver wrote:
What graphic issues will be noticed if you set 100hz but ur frame rate is only able to hit say 80 in game? Tearing/dips?

I haven't seen any tearing for FPS less than 100hz in the few games I have had a chance to try. I also test enabled VSYNC in games at 60FPS and didn't notice an issues when the panel was at 100hz. Enabling VSYNC at 100FPS is probably not a bad idea - as with 60hz refresh - why burn CPU/GPU if the extra frames are only being tossed - save the heat build up for tough sections that really need 100% CPU/Graphics for VSYNC refresh matching.