cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD too small for slot? G75VW issues with SSD disconnecting...

finalhour
Level 11
Hey!

It's been a bit since I've had to post. I've had a few minor issues but taken care of them through trial and error/troubleshooting up to now. Today, after flying home for winter break from school, I had a "Please select proper boot device" loop on start up. I panicked at first, I thought it was a corrupt boot sector or something, but it was actually just that my SSD slid out of its slot. This is the first time in over a year of having this set up that it's happened.

But upon closer examination there is a 1/8" gap between the SSD and the edge of the drive bay, i.e. it has too much room. Any ideas for what I could stick in there to keep it in place? I don't want to insulate/screw with the dissipation of the heat inside the computer, but I didn't even drop the thing and it slid off, that's not supposed to happen.

Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers,

Nate
G75VW-BBK5 Windows 8 Pro 1TB HDD, 180GB Corsair Force GT Sata3 SSD, 16GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 660M, Intel i-7 3610-QM 2.3Ghz Turboboost to 3.3Ghz
11 REPLIES 11

rewben
Level 13
hi @finalhour, i don't understand: how could it slide off? i thought there are at least two screws that secure the hdd bracket holding the ssd very well? (mine is fine; i have tried 9.5mm and 7mm versions. both are secured nicely)

rewben wrote:
hi @finalhour, i don't understand: how could it slide off? i thought there are at least two screws that secure the hdd bracket holding the ssd very well? (mine is fine; i have tried 9.5mm and 7mm versions. both are secured nicely)

Hey!

So I did have the bracket screwed on, and I do believe it was tight, but the bracket itself isn't attached to the SSD, just to the plastic/metal of the drive bay, so that might be the issue? I don't have any way that I know of to mount it to the bracket.

Nate
G75VW-BBK5 Windows 8 Pro 1TB HDD, 180GB Corsair Force GT Sata3 SSD, 16GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 660M, Intel i-7 3610-QM 2.3Ghz Turboboost to 3.3Ghz

Can I buy the screws instead? I'd rather do that just to know that both are set. I have 0 clue what size and where to get them though. Any advice?

The screw pitch and size are the same as for any hard drive but much shorter I'll bet you could get some on ebay or amazon. Usualy they ship four with a hard drive 2 1/2" drives have shorter ones less threads. As Rewben said though take two from your hard drive. If you got along with out any for this long 2 should last you the life of the SSD or NB.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Yea my 530 came with a plastic spacer, I haven't installed it anywhere yet, but I assumed that it would go on the bottom side to line up with the SATA socket?
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

rewben
Level 13
ah.. that's the problem. you should secure the ssd to the bracket first. you need 4 screws to do that. the ssd should have 4 side holes for you to do that (of the ssd's that i have they all have those screw holes to secure it to the bracket)

finalhour
Level 11
Wishing I had those screws now >_< hahaha

rewben
Level 13
now i think of it, you're using the laptop without securing the ssd properly up until recently? that's cool lol!

hehe yeah i took a look at some images at google about your ssd. the side holes are there 🙂 temporarily you can take out 2 screws from your hdd and secure the ssd with them.

rewben
Level 13
oh.. that. i am not sure about this. i guess you can try several ways:
1. ask for help from asus service center;
2. try to look 'laptop 2.5" hard drive screws' at ebay, amazon;

the screws should be of standard size and you can find it at local computer shops, too.

edit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-100-Laptop-Hard-Drive-HDD-2-5-Caddy-Screw-M3X3mm-/230732678996