cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD Installation on G53SX

Mirumoto
Level 7
Hello everyone,

I've just ordered a SSD and I would like to prepare for the Windows 7 installation.

I have some questions however on the best way to proceed:

I've already burnt the 5 dvd via AI Recovery burner and also downloaded the ISO in the sticky topic.

Which way do you think is the best? A clean install using the ISO or using the 5 dvd's?

If I use the 5 DVD's will I be able the recreate the 25gigs recovery partition on the SSD?

I would be up for using the 5 dvd's if I can have the 25gigs recovery partition but if I can't I'd rather have a clean version of Windows 7 installed.

Thanks in advance ! 🙂
25 REPLIES 25

If you can afford it, go for the SATA III 6GBs SSD drives. The better ones are OCZ Agility 3, Crucial M4, Samsung 830 and Intel 520 (in order of expense/performance, I think).

There is a really detailed Youtube video showing you how to disassemble the G53JW to install a 2nd hard drive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev8y8xlCdHE
G53SX-AH71:

• Core i7 2670QM
  • Nvidia GTX 560M 2GB
  • 32GB Corsair DDR3-1333
  • Intel 520 240GB SSD
  • Seagate Momentus XT 750GB Hybrid HD
  • Intel 6230 802.11n Bluetooth 3.0
  • Panasonic Blu-Ray Burner UJ-240
  • Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit

sunninho wrote:
If you can afford it, go for the SATA III 6GBs SSD drives. The better ones are OCZ Agility 3, Crucial M4, Samsung 830 and Intel 520 (in order of expense/performance, I think).

But does the G53SX have a SATAIII bus for the hard drives? I can't find specs for the bus anywhere ...

wjhalverson wrote:
But does the G53SX have a SATAIII bus for the hard drives? I can't find specs for the bus anywhere ...

Yes ... the first two sata channels are Sata III 6 Gb/s ... like all Sandy Bridge mobos. So the two internal HDD bays are Sata III ... the DVD drive is Sata II.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Fantastic! Glad to hear that it all worked out. 🙂

Area_66
Level 11
Intel 520 ( may be 320) right away , they have 5 years waranty, with the trick OCZ did to use with the Vertex 2 I will never purchase anything from them, Crucial are not bad too

Hi, I have installed a Corsair Force Series GT 120GB on my G53SX. I want to have Windows 7 installed on this drive, could you please tell me what's the best way to do this?. Is there a way to use the Recovery Partition to install the OS on this new drive?.

I noted that on the BIOS the drive is not being displayed on the sata devices list.
I see this:
Serial ATA Port 0 - ST9750420AS (750 GB)
Serial ATA Port 1 - Empty -------------------------------------> It should display the Corsair SSD
Serial ATA Port 2 - HL-DT-STDVDR ATAPI
Serial ATA Port 3 - Empty
Serial ATA Port 4 - Empty
Serial ATA Port 5 - Empty

I have the latest Firmware and Bios.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks!
Hernandus

Hernandus wrote:
Is there a way to use the Recovery Partition to install the OS on this new drive?.

Yes, but not directly. You can do a factory restore to the new SSD, but not from the recovery partition (F9) method. You must use a set of recovery DVDs. The result is the same.

So basically, here are the steps:

• Boot from the original hard drive, and make a set of recovery DVDs (with the AI Recovery program).
  • Physically install the new SSD and disconnect or remove the secondary hard drive.
  • Boot up and press ESC immediately to access the boot menu.
  • Insert Disk #1 (of the recovery DVDs) into DVD drve, then choose the ODD option from the boot menu.
  • Follow the instructions to do a factory restore to the SSD. Allow at least a couple hours, and respond ONLY to prompts for the next disk. DON'T touch anything else or interrupt the restore as it proceeds. It's done when the out-of-the-box first-use wizard has been on-screen with no disk activity for at least 10 minutes.
  • If you intend to use the OEM hard drive (or another HDD) as a secondary drive, power down and install it. In Disk Management, you can format and repartition it to suit your needs.

hey BrodyBoy, thanks for the reply. I'll follow these steps to install W7.
Thanks again,
Hernandus

BrodyBoy, I followed the steps as you described, but something happened. After the restore process completed, on the language selection screen the machine freezed and showed up a Blue Screen of dead. Now the system doesn't recognizes the SSD and can't boot up.
I checked the SSD on another PC and the data is there, all Windows files etc, I assume the drive is not bricked.
What do you suggest to continue?
Thanks

Hernandus wrote:
BrodyBoy, I followed the steps as you described, but something happened. After the restore process completed, on the language selection screen the machine freezed and showed up a Blue Screen of dead. Now the system doesn't recognizes the SSD and can't boot up.
I checked the SSD on another PC and the data is there, all Windows files etc, I assume the drive is not bricked.
What do you suggest to continue?
Thanks

That's weird.....it blue-screened during the first-use wizard? The only possible causes I can think of are (1) the SSD may have an incompatibility, which can hopefully be corrected with a firmware update, or (2) the factory restore was interrupted before it was done.

To try and cover both bases, I would first make sure that the SSD's firmware is up-to-date, and by all means, update it if necessary. Then I would re-run the factory restore. Make absolutely sure that the process is completely done before you try to use the computer.