cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD Capacity?

rp33
Level 7
I'm looking at getting an SSD primarily for Windows 7 and my Adobe Production suite (Photoshop/AfterEffects/Premiere). Adobe says that about 16GB is required for their products, about how much does Windows need? I didn't know if I should try a 64GB or get a 128...
G74SX-AH71 | Intel Core i7 2670QM | GTX 560M | 16GB DDR3 | 750GB HDD | Crucial M4 64GB SSD
18 REPLIES 18

UltraNEO* wrote:
I have a 120Gb drive (106Gb free formatted) with Windows install, various updates, system drivers and CS5.5. Now it's telling me there's 30Gb free!!

Then your boat is sinking much faster than mine!.. 😛
ASUS G74SX-3DE

PILGRIM wrote:
Then your boat is sinking much faster than mine!.. 😛

Thanks for all the confidence.. I've recent moved the paging file to another drive and you know? I ain't notice much difference in speed.
ASUS ROG RVIE Encore| i9-10940x | Dominator Platinum 128GB 3333 MHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti SLI | Samsung 970 Pro 1TB NVMe (x3)
WD Black 4TB | WD Black 6TB x2 | EVGA 1600 P2 | CaseLabs SMA8 | Custom Water Cooling | HWLabs Black Ice Nemesis GTX 560
XSPC RX 480 v3 | XSPC D5 Vario x2 | EK Blocks | EK-RES X3 400 | BitsPower Fittings | GentleTypoon 1850 x12 | Corsair SP140 x8 | Lamptron CM615

Twitch.tv/MsNikita | Twitter.com/MsNikitaTV | Instagram.com/MsNikitaTV | Reddit.com/r/MsNikitaTV

UltraNEO* wrote:
Thanks for all the confidence.. I've recent moved the paging file to another drive and you know? I ain't notice much difference in speed.

Meaning your SSD is still speedy, right?
Well, even if my SSD is about 50 GB full, I'm still not complaining..
It is still fast!..
ASUS G74SX-3DE

What SSD manufacturer did you use? I am also considering replacing my main with a SSD boot up drive to increase performance.

adm5893 wrote:
What SSD manufacturer did you use? I am also considering replacing my main with a SSD boot up drive to increase performance.

I have the Crucial M4 128 GB SSD.

Cat wrote:
There's not gonna be any difference in speed no matter how full it is since it doesn't need a read arm to move to the correct sectors. It just accesses the data right away. By the way, there's no point worrying about the write sectors' limits unless you do something silly like use the SSD as artificial RAM or something. It'll take millions of writes to degrade performance, and the write algorithms basically ensure you write to sectors that have been written to the least number of times. Just use it as normal and only worry about the size limitations.

Thanks for that confidence-booster on the SSD. 🙂
ASUS G74SX-3DE

PILGRIM wrote:
Meaning your SSD is still speedy, right?
Well, even if my SSD is about 50 GB full, I'm still not complaining..
It is still fast!..

There's not gonna be any difference in speed no matter how full it is since it doesn't need a read arm to move to the correct sectors. It just accesses the data right away. By the way, there's no point worrying about the write sectors' limits unless you do something silly like use the SSD as artificial RAM or something. It'll take millions of writes to degrade performance, and the write algorithms basically ensure you write to sectors that have been written to the least number of times. Just use it as normal and only worry about the size limitations.

Cat wrote:
There's not gonna be any difference in speed no matter how full it is since it doesn't need a read arm to move to the correct sectors. It just accesses the data right away.

Well, that's not entirely true. While you don't have issues with seek time due to physical sector location, there are issues with drives near their capacity. It's documented that SSD's slow down as they fill up close to capacity so it is still a good idea to leave some free space. Trim can take care of your drive but since it is an idle task you can't reliably count on it.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

UltraNEO* wrote:
I have a 120Gb drive (106Gb free formatted) with Windows install, various updates, system drivers and CS5.5. Now it's telling me there's 30Gb free!!

How does CS5.5 run on your machine? I just picked up Production Premium CS5.5 and am looking at getting a G74SX soon - should I install it on the HDD or the SSD? (I'll get an external for the video files).
G74SX-AH71 | Intel Core i7 2670QM | GTX 560M | 16GB DDR3 | 750GB HDD | Crucial M4 64GB SSD

PILGRIM
Level 11
Thanks for the info.
Quick Question: Will the used data size decrease dramatically if I disable the Page File?
ASUS G74SX-3DE