cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD and Windows 8 Upgrade problems

mrhobbeys
Level 7
I had much trouble using the cloning software I finally gave up and installed windows 8 onto my HD. Now I have a few strange issues the most important is that my original HD (1TB) is not visible from my windows 8 system.

I also get errors when I try to install different drivers:
Power 4 Gear - Thinks this is not an ASUS Laptop
Instant On - Not supported

(There are 2 others but they dont seem important)

I am most worried about the hard drive as I need the extra storage.
15 REPLIES 15

rewben
Level 13
hi mrhobbeys, install ATK package and you should be able to install the rest of ASUS's utilities.

edit: sorry i forgot that the stock HDD is a GPT disk. can you see the stock drive from disk management?

I am able to access it after putting it in a external enclosure, but I want to have it in my laptop.

rewben
Level 13
ok nice; can you access all the data in the stock drive? if not, is it ok for you to wipe the whole disk?

Clintlgm
Level 14
You should be able to see it in Disk Management if so mark it inactive. You should also be able to accomplish this in an external case. otherwise copy all your data and format it. or use a program like Mini partition wizard to mark it inactive. That should allow Win 8 to see it.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

It seems in the confusion I deleted my data 😞

Here is what I would like to do.
1. Leave the recovery partition.
2. Leave Win 7 and around 200 GB for it
3. Use the remaining space for storage.
4. Dual boot between win 8 and 7

I think I have figured out how to do 1-3, just not 4 and I don't know till I try if my drive will show as expected when I plug it back in... Yet.

mrhobbeys wrote:
It seems in the confusion I deleted my data 😞

Here is what I would like to do.
1. Leave the recovery partition.
2. Leave Win 7 and around 200 GB for it
3. Use the remaining space for storage.
4. Dual boot between win 8 and 7

I think I have figured out how to do 1-3, just not 4 and I don't know till I try if my drive will show as expected when I plug it back in... Yet.

@newben, he's wanting to dual boot with win7 and Win8!
see number 4
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

rewben
Level 13
@mrhobbeys, sorry but i am not familiar with the dual boot thing for w7/w8. i think some friends here have a working setup but i'm not sure how they did that.

I had a lot of trouble until I updated the SSD firmware. As far as dual booting I have not found a solution that works well... Windows 8 seems not to play nice with others.

xphantsx
Level 7
Windows 8 and an SSD is bad at least with a Samsung 840 Pro. Windows 8 is not ready for SSD's yet. My setup uses a Samsung 840 Pro and had half the write speed it was quoted to have while running Windows 8. I wiped it out used Win7 Ultimate again. My read and write speeds are in the ballpark of the quoted rates by doing this.
By the way "why clone a drive ever"? It is a bad practice.