cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some problems after updating Windows 10 (ROG G703)

Hoaxaxe
Level 7
I have begun using my new G703GI from this June, and until when I had my laptop to be updated to Redstone4 there were no issues of playing games and the hotkeys for ROG Aura and Gaming Center.

However, after updating my Windows (currently 17134.191) the problems began to appear... but not sure why this is happening.

1. No sound in some games: I have Starcraft Remastered installed on my machine and both the sound and background music were available. However, once the update was done there was only silence from Starcraft. Tried to remove and reinstall but in vain. Not only Starcraft but also suffering the same problem from Bioshock (remastered, Steam) and Divinity II (Steam) as well. Also tried reinstalling the sound driver but also failed.

2. Hotkey for ROG Aura and Gaming Center does not work: After the update, the hotkeys above the keyboard do not work - except the volume control. While I rarely use these hotkeys but it is a pain in the butt when I have to change my CPU setting due to my necessity.

Is there anyone who have suffered the symptoms above? Is there any way to settle this problem without rolling back to the previous version of Windows 10? (not even sure whether I can roll back though)

Your thoughts and ideas will be very much appreciated.

Hoaxaxe.
9 REPLIES 9

Mr__Fox
Level 12
Sorry you're having to put up with this nonsense. Windows 10 is an absolute abortion and what you are experiencing seems to be exemplary of the stupid crap many face with their forced updates trash. See if you can roll back and disable Windows Udpate service. As long as you do things the Micro$lop way you can expect problems like this periodically. Once you get your system working right again, download O&O Shutup 10 and turn on all of the options, reboot, and check to make sure all of the options stayed green.
Wraith // EVGA Z690 Dark K|NGP|N | 13900K | RTX 4090 Suprim | 32GB DDR5 Hynix A-DIE @8200 | SuperNOVA 1600 P2 | HC-500A Chiller | MO-RA3 360 || DG-86
Banshee // ROG Z690 Apex | 13900KF | RTX 3090 K|INGP|N | 32GB DDR5 Hynix A-DIE @ 6800 | Corsair RM122x SHIFT | XT-45 NOVA || 5000D Airflow
Half-Breed // Precision 17 7720 | 7920HQ (BGA filth) | Quadro P5000 16GB (MXM) | 32GB DDR4 || Grade A Off-Lease Refurb

mr_fox_rox wrote:
Sorry you're having to put up with this nonsense. Windows 10 is an absolute abortion and what you are experiencing seems to be exemplary of the stupid crap many face with their forced updates trash. See if you can roll back and disable Windows Udpate service. As long as you do things the Micro$lop way you can expect problems like this periodically. Once you get your system working right again, download O&O Shutup 10 and turn on all of the options, reboot, and check to make sure all of the options stayed green.

Tried to see whether I could roll back to the previous version, but seems that it is too late now... maybe the only option will be just enjoying the irony of the silence from a violent battle lol. So long as I can listen to my MP3s without any problem then it should be enough.

Hoaxaxe wrote:
Tried to see whether I could roll back to the previous version, but seems that it is too late now... maybe the only option will be just enjoying the irony of the silence from a violent battle lol. So long as I can listen to my MP3s without any problem then it should be enough.

Yeah, it might be too late to recover at this point.

I know of some folks with MSI laptops that encountered audio problems similar to yours with the latest mess from the Redmond Mafia. They ended up doing a clean OS install to a previous version of Windoze OS X and locking it down. That might be your only option until they fix their mess.

Use Macrium Reflect to make a full image of your properly working OS in case this happens again and you will be back up and running again in under 15 minutes... like it never happened. The free version is all you need. The paid version has features that most will never need.
Wraith // EVGA Z690 Dark K|NGP|N | 13900K | RTX 4090 Suprim | 32GB DDR5 Hynix A-DIE @8200 | SuperNOVA 1600 P2 | HC-500A Chiller | MO-RA3 360 || DG-86
Banshee // ROG Z690 Apex | 13900KF | RTX 3090 K|INGP|N | 32GB DDR5 Hynix A-DIE @ 6800 | Corsair RM122x SHIFT | XT-45 NOVA || 5000D Airflow
Half-Breed // Precision 17 7720 | 7920HQ (BGA filth) | Quadro P5000 16GB (MXM) | 32GB DDR4 || Grade A Off-Lease Refurb

mr_fox_rox wrote:
Yeah, it might be too late to recover at this point.

I know of some folks with MSI laptops that encountered audio problems similar to yours with the latest mess from the Redmond Mafia. They ended up doing a clean OS install to a previous version of Windoze OS X and locking it down. That might be your only option until they fix their mess.

Use Macrium Reflect to make a full image of your properly working OS in case this happens again and you will be back up and running again in under 15 minutes... like it never happened. The free version is all you need. The paid version has features that most will never need.

Thanks for the advice; maybe I will consider this as my last option.

So it seems that in order to have my laptop get back to what it used to be the only way is find the previous installation media of Windows 10 and do a clean install from scratch... Didn't want to do so but will consider this as my last option (when I am given ample time). Thanks to you all for your comments and suggestions.

Hoaxaxe wrote:

Have you tried uninstalling you Audio drivers and reinstalling them or better yet uninstall them and reinstall the one from your eSupport folder unless there is a newer one at Asus Support Downloads the set your notebook to block driver updates. From now on install your hardware drivers intentionally.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

My recommendation would be to update the laptop as much as possible. Go to the ASUS support site, download and install the following:

VGA
Version 24.21.13.9731
2018/07/16
NVIDIA Graphic Driver V24.21.13.9731

BIOS
Version 305
2018/08/02
BIOS : 305 (Use Winflash-Below to install BIOS)

AUDIO
Version 6.0.1.8443
2018/07/16
Audio Driver V6.0.1.8443

TouchPad
Version 11.0.0.23
2018/07/16
ASUS Precision TouchPad Driver V11.0.0.23

2018/08/08
ASUS Keyboard Hotkeys

Version 3.6.40.51156
2018/07/16
ASUS Sonic Studio 3 V3.6.40.51156

Version 3.6.40.51156
2018/07/16
ASUS Sonic Radar 3 V3.6.39.50655

Version 1.00.36
2018/07/16
Aura Lighting Service
ROG Aura lets you program different color and customize the lighting effects on the RGB keyboard.
Please note, MUST follow below steps to install the application:
1. Go to MS store to install the latest version of ROG Aura.
2. Download and double click the Setup.exe to install the Aura Component app.
3. Download and run install.bat as administrator to install the Aura Lighting Service app.

Version 3.2.9
2018/07/162.26 MBytes
Winflash V3.2.9 (Use this program to install the newest BIOS)

Version 1.0.10
2018/06/15
ROG Aura Component
ROG Aura lets you program different color and customize the lighting effects on the RGB keyboard.
3. Download and run install.bat as administrator to install the Aura Lighting Service app

2018/06/15
ROG Aura
3. Download and run install.bat as administrator to install the Aura Lighting Service app

Version 3.6.39.50655
2018/06/15
ASUS Sonic Studio 3 V3.6.39.50655

Version 3.6.39.50655
2018/06/15
ASUS Sonic Radar 3 V3.6.39.50655

Version 5.0.9.0
2018/06/15
GameFirst V V5.0.9.0

2018/06/14
ROG GameVisual UWP

As ASUS likes to describe this laptop, it's a BEAST. Look how quickly a new BIOS and the majority of major programs have been updated. I only listed those programs that have been updated in the last couple months.

Blame Microsoft Windows for updating 10, but blame should be leveled at ASUS for releasing the BEAST before all the bugs have been worked out. Compare the software version of the programs that are in the eSupport folder (C: eSupport/edriver/software) with the software versions of the programs on the ASUS support site (listed above).

This is a lot of work, most if not all the already installed programs will have to be uninstalled before the newer version installed.

Download WinFlash first, then download the BIOS. Use WinFlash to install the new BIOS. Before proceeding, go into the BIOS and make a copy of all the settings. After the new BIOS is installed, look at the settings are there any changes? Restart the laptop a couple times and insure everything seems to be working.
Then proceed with updating the other listed programs, one at a time.

Aura should be installed first, followed by the Aura Component, and then Aura Lighting Service.
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

Darnassus
Status Under Review
G752 here, no problems at all.

If I were you, I'd image all your drives to an external device and install Win10 fresh with the latest ISO.

Also Download ProduKey and backup your CD Keys, too.

Personally I find updating Windows to the next major edition is no different than upping Win7 to Win8, or 8 to 10.. so I personally fresh install it when that happens. Never had a problem since doing this.. even though it may seem inconvenient.

Do NOT lose your eSupport folder in C drive..

PhilG55vw
Level 9
I also have a G703GI that updated as soon as I turned it on, with no problem, but I've only had it for a couple weeks. Asus and Windows have problems with drivers, going back at least to Win7. Every time Win updates it breaks at least the touchpad driver, and Win won't let you install a new one without a major hassle. I have not had a problem with audio in the past though, but agree with others that its most likely a driver update issue.