cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some pre-sales questions about the G751JY (first ROG)

andreacos92
Level 9
Hi!

I'm looking around to buy a new gaming laptop, and the G751JY caught my attention.
I'm Italian and I found the G751JY-T7059H in a german online store, but I have some doubts:

1 - It comes with 1x8 GB of RAM. Do you suggest to buy immediately a second stick of RAM so they work in dual channel or can I wait? Will the RAM in single-channel be a bottleneck?
I think the pre-installed stick is in one of the two slot under the keyboard (non accessible), if I put the second stick in one of the other 2 slot in the user accessible area, will they work in dual channel, right? (noob question i know lol)

2 - I have a CoolerMaster Notepal U2. Can I use it with this Asus or is the laptop too big?
Can someone misure the distance between the bottom feet? Left-to-right and front-to-rear.

3 - How can I clean vens and fans if opening the entire laptop will void the warranty?
There are some seals that will break when it's open or is it possible to do paying attention?

4 - I read about some connection issues with the stock Intel wifi card. Are there any known issues nowadays?

Thank you very much in advance 🙂
5 REPLIES 5

andreacos92
Level 9
UP :rolleyes:

Especially question 1 and 3

andreacos92 wrote:
UP :rolleyes:

Especially question 1 and 3

andreacos92

#1 - if the seller can install a 2nd SODIMM in the tough to get at top slot then yes, purchase it and pay them to install that 2nd SODIMM in the top slot.

#3 - If you are worried about dust in your environment, then add a filter screen to the bottom vent where all the air is drawn in. That will keep most of the dust out from the laptop, and you won't need to worry about disassembling the laptop to get at the fans to clean out the dust.

Laptop Dust Filters
http://www.demcifilter.com/c218/Laptop-Dust-Filters.aspx

They also design custom filters, let them know the make and model and ask for a quote - and let us know how much they want. 🙂

#4, If you do get the Intel 7260 wifi card, there are some routers that don't like talking to it, and it could be a problem, but you won't know till you try it. There have been plenty of people saying good things about it, so not everybody doesn't like it. Almost any Wifi card at some point will have trouble connection to some router/ap - it's just the way of wifi.

I like the Killer Wireless 1202 in my G750JH, and Killer has a new model coming out taht supports 802.11ac - but I haven't seen it for sale yet- see if the seller will upgrade the card for you to the killer Wireless 1202 + BT - but that card doesn't do 802.11ac and the 7260 will... there are always compromises with Wifi - but for me since my internet is only 120mbit/sec download 802.11ac isn't really needed.

Cooler pads don't do much for the G750, I haven't heard any reports of using a cooling pad on the G751 yet, but I would assume the same. The cooling system in the G750/G751 is tuned optimally and forcing additional air through the bottom vent won't have much effect. But, lifting the laptop off the table top with a pedestal might make for better host air exhaust dispersal so you could give it a try.

Please come back and let us know how it works out 🙂

hmscott wrote:
andreacos92

#1 - if the seller can install a 2nd SODIMM in the tough to get at top slot then yes, purchase it and pay them to install that 2nd SODIMM in the top slot.

#3 - If you are worried about dust in your environment, then add a filter screen to the bottom vent where all the air is drawn in. That will keep most of the dust out from the laptop, and you won't need to worry about disassembling the laptop to get at the fans to clean out the dust.

Laptop Dust Filters
http://www.demcifilter.com/c218/Laptop-Dust-Filters.aspx

They also design custom filters, let them know the make and model and ask for a quote - and let us know how much they want. 🙂

#4, If you do get the Intel 7260 wifi card, there are some routers that don't like talking to it, and it could be a problem, but you won't know till you try it. There have been plenty of people saying good things about it, so not everybody doesn't like it. Almost any Wifi card at some point will have trouble connection to some router/ap - it's just the way of wifi.

I like the Killer Wireless 1202 in my G750JH, and Killer has a new model coming out taht supports 802.11ac - but I haven't seen it for sale yet- see if the seller will upgrade the card for you to the killer Wireless 1202 + BT - but that card doesn't do 802.11ac and the 7260 will... there are always compromises with Wifi - but for me since my internet is only 120mbit/sec download 802.11ac isn't really needed.

Cooler pads don't do much for the G750, I haven't heard any reports of using a cooling pad on the G751 yet, but I would assume the same. The cooling system in the G750/G751 is tuned optimally and forcing additional air through the bottom vent won't have much effect. But, lifting the laptop off the table top with a pedestal might make for better host air exhaust dispersal so you could give it a try.

Please come back and let us know how it works out 🙂

Hi, the seller doesn't offer any service about upgrading from what I know.

Ok for the RAM, I will upgrade it later on my own.

Ok for dust filter, i'll keep it in mind.
And about any warranty seals in the notebook?
That's because if I have compatibility problems with Intel wifi card and I want to replace it with another card, I'll have to open the whole notebook and according to Asus this will result in voiding the warranty..

Thank you 🙂

andreacos92 wrote:
Hi, the seller doesn't offer any service about upgrading from what I know.
Ok for the RAM, I will upgrade it later on my own.
Ok for dust filter, i'll keep it in mind.
And about any warranty seals in the notebook?
That's because if I have compatibility problems with Intel wifi card and I want to replace it with another card, I'll have to open the whole notebook and according to Asus this will result in voiding the warranty..
Thank you 🙂

andreacos92, there are sellers that will support customization of the G751, you could check around and find one that will add the memory into the top slot, which is tough to get at. And, they can upgrade / swap the wifi card too.

Unless you have done assembly/disassembly like this yourself before, I wouldn't take it on - it isn't the kind of project for the amatuer. Look at the G750 videos for taking off the top panel and pulling the screen, not fun 🙂

I haven't seen any photo's or reports on the warranty stickers for the G751. On the G750 there was only 1 on 1 of the screws holding down the heatsink for the CPU.

If you do pull it apart, please do take video and post photo's too 🙂

andreacos92
Level 9
Thanks again!

I know that in the USA there are sellers that support customization of laptops, but here in Europe unfortunately it's a bit different.. 😞
Nowadays it's hard just to find a seller with these new laptop available in shop.

I'm not worried about the difficulty in assembly/disassembly, I saw the G750 videos and it seems not so difficult.. I have done assembly/disassembly at other notebooks with no problem also 🙂
If on the G751 there is only 1 warranty sticker on the heatsink for the CPU (as on the G750) it should be fine.

However, now I'm only searching informations, I planned to buy it on the Christmas period.