cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solution to Slow right click menu in Windows 8

Matrix_Leader
Level 10
One of the problems I've always faced with Windows 8 was the fact that when I right click on any file, there is a huge delay anywhere between 5 to 7 seconds until I see the right click context menu.

I did some research and some say that it may be one of the programs I've installed which adds an entry to the right click context menu that causes this slow down; but this wasn't my case as I am talking about a freshly installed Windows 8 system with no programs installed, just the drivers.

After digging around I found out the cause of the slow down and the solution.

Cause: there seems to be a problem with the Atheros Bluetooth Driver right click context menu that is causing it. Even though the moment I install the Bluetooth Driver, I disable Bluetooth completely from the Wireless control menu but that doesn't help as its context menu entry are still lying there in the Windows registry so here is what I did to get it resolved and now my right click is instantaneous.

Solution:

1) Download Autoruns then extract the zip file contents

2) Right click on autoruns.exe and select "Run as Administrator"

3) Un-check the startup item for the context menu as shown in the image below:

4) Exit Autoruns then restart your computer

Enjoy instant right click speeds from now on 🙂

Edit: Simply upload images from your system, do not use image hosting services please.
ASUS G75VW-T1086V
CPU: i7-3610QM 2.30 GHz.
Memory: 16 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz. RAM
Storage: 256 GB LiteOn LAT-256M3S SSD + 1 TB Seagate Momentus 5400 RPM HDD
Graphics: GeForce GTX 670M 3 GB GDDR5 RAM
Screen: 17.3' Full HD LED Screen
5 REPLIES 5

Chino
Level 15
An alternative is to open regedit, navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Control Panel > Desktop and change the MenuShowDelay value to 0. Restart Windows and you're good to go.

Chino wrote:
An alternative is to open regedit, navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Control Panel > Desktop and change the MenuShowDelay value to 0. Restart Windows and you're good to go.

This worked Great. Thank you

The issue was the Atheros Bluetooth Driver. Modifying the delay was not the issue for me.

I uninstalled the driver and all is well with the world. Thanks.

TeleF
Level 7
Thanks for that...I just moved to Windows 8 and the right click menu was very frustrating. I don't have the Atheros driver, but did the same for my Bluetooth driver and it worked perfectly. I also tried the Regedit option, but that didn't work until I deactivated the BT menu. Appreciate your help!

TokoDude
Level 10
Nice got it on my G75VW and on my dad's pc Sony Vaio. so anoying.

il try to edit the register when i'm home.
ACER PREDATOR G9-791 |Intel Core i7-6700HQ |16 GB RAM |GTX970M 3GB |FULL HD | 750GB SSD | Samsung 850 PRO & 2X M.2 SSD RAID 0
G75VW |Intel Core I7-3610QM |24GB RAM |GTX670M 3 GB |FULL HD | 526GB SSD | Samsung 840 EVO & 850 PRO
GL552VW |Intel Core i7-6700HQ |12 GB RAM |GTX960M 3GB |FULL HD | 256GB SSD | Samsung