cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small questions that do not require a separate thread

NitroX
Level 10
This is quite a good concept that I have seen on other forums and it helps a lot to avoid a bunch of useless threads. I hope that it will also be appreciated and useful over here.

Everyone can ask and/or answer questions in this thread by following some simple rules:

1) You can address here any kind of questions that you feel like they could be solved readily and without much hassle. For example: Where can I find "X" driver ? How can I activate the keyboard light ? What temperatures should I have when running "X" application?

2) If you have more complicated questions, then try to give as many details as you can from your first reply so the people who answer to know exactly what to advise you. Try avoiding useless posts like: "And I forgot to tell you that ...", "And what if ..." . If you want to further develop the subject then you can make a new thread.

3) The same applies to the people who answer! Please try giving full answers. Do not rush and give useless advice. Please keep your answers as pertinent as you can. If you see an answer that has been discussed in a separate thread/post then you can give a link to that thread/post with your answer to the question (DO NOT just give the link and say that he can find the information over there).

4) Please keep a polite atmosphere in the thread.

And I shall start this thread by making one simple question that has been bothering me for some time.

What application do you use to monitor your GPU Fan rpm? Because I have been using HWMonitor, HWInfo, Aida64, and none of those have showed me the GPU rpm. I have also downloaded ASUS GPU Tweak for laptops, version 1010 (latest on ASUS Website) but it only shows me 500rpm for both CPU and GPU fans.
16 REPLIES 16

RogueNote wrote:
Thank you for explaining 😄

RogueNote, didn't you just post how to "Clean Install Windows"?

Guide: The G751 new user thread (Clean install)
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?58411-Guide-The-G751-new-user-thread-%28Clean-install%29

Please do your readers a favor, and put Step 15 on Post #2 at the #1 position in Post #1, with the caveat to NOT proceed with erasing their original boot drive until they back it up - so they know to create an Asus Backtracker USB 3.0 16GB Recovery Flash drive.

Please also suggest they keep the original HDD boot drive on the shelf - people often lose the USB drive - or reuse it for something else, only to find they need it and don't have it, and have already blown away their SSD recovery partition.

When blowing away the OS and the Recovery partition, you can't check Programs and Features for the right drivers/apps, and find the drivers that way - by name / version.

This is why doing a from scratch Windows install from Microsoft Media - especially blindly blowing away the tuned Windows install Asus provides - including the recovery partition - doesn't make any sense, it leaves you high and dry without any reference for a properly installed Windows config.

You should be able to find the drivers at Intel, use the Asus package download names to search.

Intel also has a Driver Update Utility to find drivers for hardware components it finds. I haven't had much luck with it, but that is likely because I already have the latest drivers - the old Browser based tool would show all the Intel hardware and the driver version already installed - which was nice.

"The Intel® Driver Update Utility keeps your system up-to-date. It detects which driver updates
are relevant to your computer, and then helps you install them quickly and easily"
http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect

Throwing inexperienced people into doing a Windows from scratch install on their new laptop is irresponsible. There is no reason to do it, at all. No better performance, no better function, nothing that is a useful excuse for the expenditure of time and eventual realization they are missing things they didn't and couldn't think of going into it without experience.

If you want to help them, explain which things to uninstall that improves their experience, the things you are trying to avoid by doing a "clean" install.

And, please stop calling it a "clean" install. Please call it instead, "A from Scratch Microsoft Media Install, with no drivers, apps, configuration, or tuning".

A clean install would be to boot on the USB 3.0 16GB flash drive, and restore the original Asus Windows build onto their new SSD/HDD.

That would be "clean" 🙂

By putting a Clean Install sticky up front in the forum, people are going to think they need to do this to get the best performance / experience, and actually it's the opposite - they are shooting themselves in the foot, wasting time trying to redo the work of Asus Engineers that spent hundreds of hours of effort optimizing the OS install / configuration over many years on different laptops, culminating in the OS install on their new laptop.

Instead of installing their favorite games, new games, apps for work, etc, you are leading people on to think they are going to benefit from doing this exercise in futility, and there isn't a single iota of gaming performance benefit to get from it.

@Hmscott: Well, as far as it goes, for the laptops that come with preinstalled windows a "clean" install isn't necessary as it may be a waste of time and performance, like you said. Although, there are also notebooks that come with free-dos (like mine) and I do find that tutorial quite helpful :).
Sorry for my intervention !

Aand to remain on the thread topic, I would also want to ask if on notebooks that come with preinstalled windows there is any software that shows the GPU rpm. Thanks in advance!

NitroX wrote:
@Hmscott: Well, as far as it goes, for the laptops that come with preinstalled windows a "clean" install isn't necessary as it may be a waste of time and performance, like you said. Although, there are also notebooks that come with free-dos (like mine) and I do find that tutorial quite helpful :).
Sorry for my intervention !

Aand to remain on the thread topic, I would also want to ask if on notebooks that come with preinstalled windows there is any software that shows the GPU rpm. Thanks in advance!

NitroX, yes, RogueNote let me know that is what the tutorial was supposed to be for, but it wasn't clear in the post that was made a Sticky, it looked like reinstalling Windows was something recommended to everyone.

After updating the post to focus it for only those with free-dos, and warning others to avoid wasting time reloading Windows if they already have Asus OS Build of Windows, it will be much safer 🙂

hmscott wrote:
NitroX, yes, RogueNote let me know that is what the tutorial was supposed to be for, but it wasn't clear in the post that was made a Sticky, it looked like reinstalling Windows was something recommended to everyone.

After updating the post to focus it for only those with free-dos, and warning others to avoid wasting time reloading Windows if they already have Asus OS Build of Windows, it will be much safer 🙂

Thank you again for the concern and help It will be taken care of as soon as I get home. I will do a full remake of it more specific for both sides needs, ones with already installed OS and ones with free-DOS. 🙂

On topic for my question about Intel drives, I have used the utility and it only shows wireless and bluetooth.. Mainly want to know if updating the chipset from Asus with the latest intel needs a special procedure or just click exe, next, next, finish and done. ^^

RogueNote wrote:
Thank you again for the concern and help It will be taken care of as soon as I get home. I will do a full remake of it more specific for both sides needs, ones with already installed OS and ones with free-DOS. 🙂

On topic for my question about Intel drives, I have used the utility and it only shows wireless and bluetooth.. Mainly want to know if updating the chipset from Asus with the latest intel needs a special procedure or just click exe, next, next, finish and done. ^^

RogueNote, sounds good, answered your PM, but I will add the Intel Update Driver Tool info here too. 🙂

That's why I haven't been using the Intel Update Utility - once you have a version of a driver installed that is "ok", it doesn't bother telling you what you have installed and what version it is. It found the INF chipset driver, but it just went silent when it found it.

It's better to run the chipset driver install from the command line. For 9.x.x.x you use -overide and -overall and for 10.x.x.x just use -overall

Check out this post:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57948-nVIDIA-vs-ASUS-drivers-for-GeForce-980M&p=477662&vie...

hmscott wrote:
RogueNote, sounds good, answered your PM, but I will add the Intel Update Driver Tool info here too. 🙂

That's why I haven't been using the Intel Update Utility - once you have a version of a driver installed that is "ok", it doesn't bother telling you what you have installed and what version it is. It found the INF chipset driver, but it just went silent when it found it.

It's better to run the chipset driver install from the command line. For 9.x.x.x you use -overide and -overall and for 10.x.x.x just use -overall

Check out this post:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57948-nVIDIA-vs-ASUS-drivers-for-GeForce-980M&p=477662&vie...

Thank you for the detailed info and fast replies, you're a time saver! 😄
Okay so for 9.x.x.x I open command prompt, type in cd \ and so on like in your screenshoot but in Downloads if the exe is in it's folder I add the folder name then setup.exe - override - overall is this right ?
And for the 10.x.x.x the same but instead of override and overall just overall ? I saw another one called overwrite in your link so I got confused a bit:D

What about Intel Rapid storage, did you use a different one from Intel or the asus one ? I have seen so many links there I am not sure which to get or am I better off with the asus one ? And should I use these commands for most driver install or just chipset?
I wrote that after clicking the irst exe and reboot you run as administrator IRSTPatch but after doing so it does nothing or does not ask for a reboot, did you experience the same behavior ?

RogueNote wrote:
Thank you for the detailed info and fast replies, you're a time saver! 😄
Okay so for 9.x.x.x I open command prompt, type in cd \ and so on like in your screenshoot but in Downloads if the exe is in it's folder I add the folder name then setup.exe - override - overall is this right ?
And for the 10.x.x.x the same but instead of override and overall just overall ? I saw another one called overwrite in your link so I got confused a bit:D

What about Intel Rapid storage, did you use a different one from Intel or the asus one ? I have seen so many links there I am not sure which to get or am I better off with the asus one ? And should I use these commands for most driver install or just chipset?

RogueNote, you need to read the instructions provided by Intel in the Read Me file, found on the same page as the download links, to the right top.

Download for 10.0.24
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20775/Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-INF-Update-Utility-

Readme for 10.0.24
http://downloadmirror.intel.com/20775/eng/readme.txt

Download for 9.4.0.1027
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23061/Chipset-Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-for-Intel-Desk...

ReadMe for 9.4.0.1027
http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23061/eng/INF_9.4.0.1027_readme.txt
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23061/Chipset-Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-for-Intel-Desk...

These command line options are listed and explained. They have been in use for a long time, they get added, reduced, but the features available are the same - you might find an option I haven't mentioned. 🙂

Have fun 🙂