cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple question about G55 memory upgrade...

Eric_G55V
Level 7
1.) I was just wondering if anyone could suggest a website that doesn't rape you on the price of RAM for your G55 notebook.

I have a G55 VW and I just want to add another 8 gigs of RAM so here are some follow-up questions I have concerning this issue:

2.) Which philips screwdriver size am I going to need to remove the back panel on my notebook in order to add more RAM? I think it might be a philips .5 or it might be a 1. I don't know.

3.) How many different types of DDR3 RAM are there? Is it a confusing issue selecting the correct RAM for your machine?

Any help with this matter will be appreciated. Thanks.

-Eric

P.S.: I hope my large knobby fingers will be small enough to reach inside my computer to add more RAM! I use my computer for Photoshop and I'm really hoping the extra RAM will make a difference on speed.
My Asus notebook specs:
CPU
Intel Core i7 @ 2.30GHz 38 °C
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G55VW (SOCKET 0) 40 °C
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M
21 REPLIES 21

UnAimed wrote:
Regarding heat, you won't need to worry about it, they require no active cooling and will only become slightly warm to the touch. They may only get very hot if you were to overclock them and up the voltage but as far as I know that is not even possible on these laptops since the bios is locked.

DDR3 Memory nowadays simply *does not get hot*, even under a good overclock. The reason is simple: DDR3 in desktops and especially laptops is very low voltage. Ohms law then says you won't be pushing much current through them. Flashy racing-car red, tall and spiky-finned heatsinks and heatspreaders are pure gimmick. I used to brutally overclock my core i7 860 and the memory to almost 2400GHz (which was something just a few years back) and the RAM was cool to the touch.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

fostert wrote:
DDR3 Memory nowadays simply *does not get hot*, even under a good overclock. The reason is simple: DDR3 in desktops and especially laptops is very low voltage. Ohms law then says you won't be pushing much current through them. Flashy racing-car red, tall and spiky-finned heatsinks and heatspreaders are pure gimmick. I used to brutally overclock my core i7 860 and the memory to almost 2400GHz (which was something just a few years back) and the RAM was cool to the touch.

Cool. Then I can leave that little adhesive sticker on the RAM then, right?

-Eric
My Asus notebook specs:
CPU
RAM
Motherboard
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M

Eric_G55V wrote:
Cool. Then I can leave that little adhesive sticker on the RAM then, right?

-Eric

It doesn't matter: leaving the stickers on will not affect performance or cause any heat buildup/ I usually leave them on.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

Hey! My status just changed to ASUS VIP. That's so awesome. I wonder what I did to deserve that? Maybe it's because I haven't started any *#^@^ on these forums yet. Or was it because I registered my new ASUS notebook through this forum? In any case, it's nice to have that little VIP distinction next to my name! Hehehehe.

-Eric
My Asus notebook specs:
CPU
RAM
Motherboard
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M

................and then one post later, I lose that distinction. How bizarre. Where did my VIP status go? That totally blows, dude! Is this some sort of cruel joke from ASUS?

-Eric
My Asus notebook specs:
CPU
RAM
Motherboard
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M

Eric_G55V wrote:
Thanks Vicodin, bignazpwns, and Unaimed for your very useful posts! That's great that I received such quick replies from you guys. Now that a know a little more about the basics of adding RAM to your machine, the actual task doesn't seem so daunting any more.

Vicodin, I will seriously consider ordering from that exact link right now but I'm a little unsure of the size of the sticks in the picture on Ebay. It seems like they might be a bit too tall to fit inside a slim notebook like my G55. I haven't actually cracked open the panel and looked inside yet so I'm not sure how the RAM fits inside the case, but nevertheless, I'm still salivating over the possibility of order some more memory right now! Hahaha. <--I'm just laughing at my nerdy excitement over a purchase of a few sticks of plastic and silicone.

UnAimed, that was a very helpful post. Thanks for being the first to reply as well! Everyone is so helpful on this site, it's great!

-Eric

DO NOT BUY MEMORY OFF EBAY.

Here you go some solid ram thats cheap

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231512

Unless you plan on replacing the stock ram. It makes no sense in getting memory with lower timings as it will default the the same timings your sticks are running now. Gskill is high quality memory i never had any issues with any of it i used.

Also if you want to go with 2 8 gig sticks for a total of 24gigs

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231580

Just tossing you that option out there for you.

Vicodin
Level 10
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hynix-8GB-2x4GB-2Rx8-PC3-12800S-HMT351S6CFR8C-PB-SO-DIMM-204-Pin-/1210699784...

Here you go. These two sticks are the exact same as what is pre-installed. If you buy these, you will now have 16 GB of all MATCHING Ram.

Eric_G55V
Level 7
Thanks bignazpwns, but I already bought some ram from E-bay as Vicodin recommended. Don't worry, it's the same speed and type as the ram I already have in my machine so it's going to be fine.

-Eric
My Asus notebook specs:
CPU
RAM
Motherboard
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M

Pitcher1
Level 9
i think you follow the spec to add, it would be correcting, if you don;t know how to do, i think store will explan or install memory.

Vicodin
Level 10
Eric,
Good choice on your RAM purchase. Now all 4 sticks of RAM in your G55 will be literally IDENTICAL! This is the best way to go in my opinion. Sure, it is not the "BEST" RAM on earth, but it beats ripping apart the laptop to get under the keyboard, and buying 4 sticks to make it all match. That is why I wen't this route. I looked at the listing before I pasted it. It is exactly like what I got. Brand new sticks pulled out of a new laptop. Places like XOTIC and HIDEVOLUTION for example offer upgrades to more/higher performance RAM on brand new laptops. What do you think they do with the stock when they pull it out? Sure as heck not throw it away!