cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SERIOUS G46VW Problems! [Possible HDD Failure or Drivers Issue?]

bldzrr
Level 7
Hey all!

About 3 weeks ago I started having issues with my WiFi where I'd randomly disconnect from my internet and other wireless points that my girlfriend could connect to just fine so I knew that my laptop was the problem. Then I started receiving blue screens receiving the error "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION ndis.sys" and as well receiving notifications in the bottom right corner saying "NVIDIA display Adapter Has Stopped Working" and my screen would flash black once or twice. This occured once a week. Then about 2 weeks ago I noticed if my laptop was turned off or in sleep mode, sometimes it wouldn't turn on the first time I hit the power button and then it would turn on the second or third time after hitting it. Over time it has got worse and now my laptop won't turn on at all except for the odd time after I hit the power button 300 times. What it seems to do is it starts up and the lightbulb icon lights up and the HDD light flashes once and makes 2 tick noises inside the laptop itself and it sounds like it is coming directly from where the HDD is located. Then the laptop turns off and this all happens within 1-2 seconds. I do believe I either picked up a nasty virus or something is failing inside my laptop. I did get it to start up lastnight and it wasn't detecting my NVIDIA Graphics Card [NVIDIA Geforce GTX 660M] and when I tried to update my drivers through both the NVIDIA website and NVIDIA Geforce Experience it detected it but would fail halfway through the installation and would say "Installation Cannot Continue". I was just wondering if anyone happens to know what might be wrong and if I can somehow get it to start, would a system reformat possibly fix it or are there any other solutions? I really don't want to send it to ASUS unless I have to as I'm quite sure it's out of warranty. Thanks guys!
2 REPLIES 2

Clintlgm
Level 14
It sound like your having some hardware issues. You could try a clean install then only use the drivers that are on Asus Support Downloads. That would eliminate it being software issue. If you can find or borrow a Win 8.11 disk or Image These keys will start the install. You will have to extract your embedded product key and here are the Generic Keys
Windows 8.1 Single Language Y9NXP-XT8MV-PT9TG-97CT3-9D6TC
Windows 8.1 Core 334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT
Windows 8.1 Pro XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB

You can activate win 8.1.1 using your Win 8 key http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/31093-activate-retail-windows-8-1-windows-8-product-ke...

Further help can be found in this threadhttp://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28758-GUIDE-G55-G75-Upgrade-Notes&country=&status=
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

the g46vw unfortunately doesn't have a cd drive so how do I go about booting it off a flash drive?