cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second hard drive dying again

Griffin
Level 7
Hi
I have a G75 and had the second 750Gb drive failed a while ago and now have a second one on its way out which is different brand etc than the original one from ASUS. Is there a fault with this model, my machine or something that I have missed eg: bios upgrade or driver upgrade to fix read / write issues etc

My event log is now coming up with ATAPI errors The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1 event ID 11 and has either locked up or restarted for no reason the last couple of days and you can occasionally hear the hard drive scratching

If its the drive needing replacing again is fine (no really) but want to know if this is a every 6 month thing to deal with

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4

Vicodin
Level 10
Odd issue... either you have really bad luck with hard drives, or it is something else. Try searching for upgraded drivers in Intel 7 series drivers. I did this because I recently installed a mSATA SSD and my write speeds were 1/4 what they should be. I upgraded the Intel 7 Series Chipsets Drivers, as well as a SATA controller driver. Speeds went from 128 mbps to 480!

rewben
Level 13
@Griffin, apart from what @Vicodin highlighted about the drivers, please also make sure the hdd's are plugged in and secured properly (just double check).

no, there should be no issue with the hdd, provided that you handle the laptop carefully.

dstrakele
Level 14
1) If I were in your situation, I'd disable the DVD Player in Device Manager and see if the errors persist. If they stop, I'd try removing, then reinstalling the ODD and re-enabling it. If the errors returned, I'd try testing the ODD in another computer before replacing it.

2) And since I've read of a lot of strange BIOS issues reported lately, I'd restore defaults settings to the BIOS to see if that changed behavior.

3) You certainly want to run an HDD diagnostic utility such as HDTune, or better yet, the disk manufacturer's proprietary diagnostic utility before concluding the HDD is defective.

4) You report the laptop restarted for no reason. Was this a "pull the plug" type of unexpected shutdown or slower, as in a BSOD? Does BlueScreenView from Nirsoft report any BSOD information if you run it?

5) You might also check out http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?30418-G73jh-very-slow-and-freezing . In this case, what initially appears like a failing HDD, may actually be a failing power adapter. But in your case, don't eliminate the possibility of poor grounding either.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Thanks for the thoughts I will go through each one but for no reason is has just restarted again with the update in the event log of The default transaction resource manager on volume 😧 encountered a non-retryable error and could not start. The data contains the error code.

As to dstrakele its like its a power cut, the power light is off on the top right for about 5 sec then starts up again. you could be using it or it could be sitting there doing nothing and it can happen there is no BSOD or anything standard that you see