cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second G751, second broken HDD.

Tuluppa
Level 7
Hey

So I bought my first G751JY and it lasted 5 days. Had to send it to Sweden for repair(SSHD broken, maybe other stuff too). (I live in Finland). 2 weeks and they sent me a new G751JY. Forward couple months and again the SSHD that comes preinstalled is broken. Im getting frequent I/O errors and at the time of writing windows doesnt even know its connected. Tried to remove it and plug it back in but that didnt help. Im glad now that I bought 500gb SSD to use as main drive or Id be writing this from my phone.

Is there any chance something else is wrong other than the drive being completely busted?

Thanks

PS. Why do I see the ROG Logo load screen twice when you power on the computer? It appears, then screen blinks and it loads some more. Anyway to fix that? Cheers o.o
8 REPLIES 8

JustinThyme
Level 13
I would say you have possibly the worst HDD luck in the world. I have two different models that came with the same drives and the older one nearly two years later has never skipped a beat. Are you doing any strange drive testing, or thrashing the drive purposely to see if you can make it fail? Just normal use? Whats you environmental conditions?

If normal use and normal conditions......
One bad, OK it happens, Two bad either something out of the ordinary or you have really bad luck, three bad you better lock yourself inside and never peek out again or a 747 is going to fall out of the sky on your head, matter of fact better look for a concrete bunker because one is headed for your house already.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Thanks for the reply, funny. 10/10 😛

I just use it to store files and install games I dont play that often. Days might go by that I dont even use anything on it, just my storage drive. Environmental, uhh, well its steady 20-22C in the appartment. If thats what you meant.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Yeah just temps and humidity for environment.

From what you have stated that's just ordinary use. Do you know specifically what SSHD they are installing in yours?

In the US we are not getting SSHD drives. I received HGST 7200rpm 1TB drives in two different G751 models (JL and JY) and in the G752VY as well. No SSHD option available. The JL is still running the original drive in Bay 2 but everything else has been upgraded to SSDs.

I dont know how pricing is doing in Finland but here the 2.5" SSDs like the 850 EVO have come down quite a bit. Under $300 USD for a 1TB and you can often find specials if you just keep an eye out and watch for them. I got my last 1TB 850 EVO for $226 USD.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Hey

Its some seagate 1TB SSHD, quite crap from the reviews I might add. Its winter so its up to -30C outside, no humidity to speak of. I have 850 EVO, I think Ill just take the busted drive to recycling, if I would have to send the whole laptop to warranty Im just not going to bother, it will, at worst case be a month until I get it back. Ill update the model later when windows understands its connected or I take it out. I tried the seagate diagnostics tool, it didnt find anything, which is weird.

Thanks

JustinThyme
Level 13
I'm with you there on that decision. I tried one of those drives in an older laptop and while it didn't crap out I wasn't impressed with the performance in the least. I've eradicated all the spinners from my laptops and went all SSD. The only thing left in my house that uses spinners is my NAS that has 5 bays and raid 5E with enterprise drives. One drive craps I pull it and put in a new one and it rebuilds plus with the 5E I have a spare so it could actually take two drives crashing at the same time. Drawback, out of 30TB worth of drives I get 18TB of storage but Ill never have to worry about data loss!

Jon_G
Level 10
Tuluppa wrote:
Hey

So I bought my first G751JY and it lasted 5 days. Had to send it to Sweden for repair(SSHD broken, maybe other stuff too). (I live in Finland). 2 weeks and they sent me a new G751JY. Forward couple months and again the SSHD that comes preinstalled is broken. Im getting frequent I/O errors and at the time of writing windows doesnt even know its connected. Tried to remove it and plug it back in but that didnt help. Im glad now that I bought 500gb SSD to use as main drive or Id be writing this from my phone.

I bought my ASUS G751JY-DH71 back on 01/02/15 from Amazon.com US. I had to return the first two I received.
The first one had no backlit LED Keyboard (wouldn't come on no matter what I tried) the 2nd one had
several stripped Drive bay 2 HDD Bracket screws. Finally the third one was a keeper ( 3 weeks after initial
G751JY-DH71 purchase).
First thing I did before plugging it in was to add another 8GB SKHynix DDR3L 1600 MHz SODIMM to the factory
installed 24GB SKHynix DDR3L 1600 MHz SODIMM's to max out to 32GB Dual Channel DDR3L.
Next I removed the 1TB HGST 7200rpm HDD from SATA 2 Port in drive bay 2 & installed 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD into drive bay 2 attached to SATA3 in drive bay 1 via 5" SATA3 extension cable fed under the G751JY SATA bridge to it (so I could use 850 Pro at full SATA3 6Gb/s).
6 months went by & I remembered pulling the 1TB HGST HDD from notebook before ever powering it up
& figured I'd use it for additional external storage in one of my (3) 2.5" SATA3 HDD/SSD to USB 3.0 enclosures.
It only showed up as a 32GB total capacity HDD, not the 1TB capacity HGST 7K1000 HDD. I submitted RMA claim
through ASUS US Support 7 months after removing the faulty 1TB HGST 7K1000 HDD, explaining everything
I did initially upgrading to the 1TB Samsung 850 Pro Storage SSD, and forgetting about the 1TB HGST 7K1000 HDD until 6 months later. ASUS US RMA support simply gave me an RMA number & shipping instructions to
RMA the faulty 1TB HGST 7K1000 HDD only for replacement.
A week later I received a new, bare 1TB HGST 7K1000 HDD (which is great not having the ASUS dual partitions)
& it works flawlessly as an external SATA3 HDD to Thunderbolt 20Gb/s unpartitioned 1TB HGST 7K1000
HDD storage drive. I'm sure you could send the bad SSHD back as I did w/o having to RMA your entire
G751 notebook (if everything else on it works) if you want to use 1TB SSHD for additional external storage
or just to have it in case. I love the speeds of SSD's and use nothing but SSD's internally on any of my systems
so I can fully relate if you opt not bothering to RMA the bad SSHD that you got in your G751 notebook,
since you already upgraded to faster, more reliable SSD ( yet it is what you paid for, functioning
SSHD & it cost nothing to RMA only SSHD back through ASUS RMA service without having to ship
back your entire G751 notebook. You could receive a new, unformatted SSHD for storage!)
Like JustinTyme says though for additional internal storage I'd go with an SSD but you'd have to
connect it to SATA2 (which totally sucks) if your G751 notebook model is like my G751JY with only 1 full
speed SATA3 port occupied w/ your 500GB Samsung 850 EVO OS SSD. 1TB & 2TB SATA 3 2.5" 7200 rpm &
5400 rpm HDD's are really inexpensive for storage and connected to an SATA2 port won't negatively impact
them as much as a much higher priced SATA 3 SSD would be. Maybe ASUS RMA support will allow you
to RMA the crappy SSHD back for a higher capacity HDD instead?

JustinThyme
Level 13
Thats awesome service that they just sent you a drive. Its a bit out of the ordinary though. Most places would want the entire machine to make sure its not something else and that you arent just sending in a drive you got elsewhere. Wouldnt hurt to try but I would think you were an isolated incident.

Jon_G
Level 10
I really believe ASUS G-series notebook RMA Support is wonderful. ASUS is a company that knows & takes care
of its' loyal customers. I believe ASUS Support from any region will accommodate customers w/ warranty
hardware issues provided said customer with RMA issue uses the appropriate ASUS Support channels,
doesn't make un reasonable requests, & uses polite, civil communication. I have used
ASUS G-Series notebook US RMA Support twice for two different G-Series notebooks (G73 & G751JY) while
they were still covered under ASUS 1 year warranty & both times yielded pleasant experiences
w/ positive (fully resolved) results.
Perhaps b/c I started RMA w/ ASUS & this G751JY notebook are awesome, like the 2010 ASUS G73 notebook I loved & finally retired but I had to return the first two G751JY notebooks I received just like the ASUS G73 notebook I had to RMA in 2nd month ( shipped w/faulty non ASUS factory power supply) & now I find that this third ASUS G751JY notebook that works great actually came w/ a bad 1TB HGST 7K1000 HDD that I had removed immediately upon
receiving it to install 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD for storage.
Then I explained that I forgot about the 1TB HGST 7K1000 HDD but recently tried to use it for external storage
through SATA3 HDD/SSD to USB 3.0 enclosure but it will only show up as an unpartitioned 32GB total capacity HDD not the 1TB Capacity it has. I added that I cannot do without this awesome G751JY notebook (which is true) just to receive a functioning 1TB HGST 7K1000 HDD that I paid for but will immediately
remove & upgrade anyhow. Since it's only for external storage, will ASUS RMA Support simply allow me to RMA only the faulty 1TB HGST 7K1000 HDD instead of having me undo all my ASUS approved user serviceable area
(allowed upgrades) on an otherwise perfectly functioning, awesome ASUS G751JY notebook?
I also reminded ASUS US support (even though they already knew) that it costs much less to RMA ship a 2.5"
1TB HDD then an entire 17.3" gaming notebook. ASUS G751JY RMA support immediately approved
my request. As you know JustinTyme ASUS really is an awesome notebook , PC Desktop, PC Hardware
Manufacturer and these ROG G Series notebooks are truly wonderful Desktop replacements w/ great support &
ROG owners are a community of friendly, helpful, great people .