cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

samsung 840 ssd. I'm truly impressed.

13fist
Level 10
Got my samsung 840 250gig ssd (non pro) from newegg about 2 hours ago and I got to say it was money well spent. From the time the UPS guy put it in my hand, to being completely installed and running was less than an hour, with zero issues. I normally do a clean install vs. cloning but this time I took a chance with samsungs software, downloaded from their website, and I am still pleasantly surprised at how smooth everything went. Had I not taken this chance, I would still be configuring a clean install the way I like it, messing with drivers, etc.

I connected the new drive via USB and ran the magician software which instantly detected the ssd firmware had an update available. The firmware update went smooth and trouble free within windows with just clicking on the update button and waiting about 5 minutes for the download and install.
The samsung data migration software worked just as well and went through the process without a single issue. I didn't time it but I'm guessing between 20-40 minutes to get everything on the new drive, put the new drive in, close everything up and turn it back on for the first time.

Once it was up and running I ran the magician software again and used a few of the optimization features. Nothing really of note with the magicians optimization as all it really does is make changes to windows settings more convenient. Any power user worth his salt has likely done most of it anyway. In fact there was only 2 buttons I clicked on because I didn't feel like going through the steps to do it manually.

2 more reboots and ran the Windows Experience Index. old drive scored a 6.8, the new samsung 840 tops the scale at 7.9. Nice!

All this was done on my G75VW-BBK5 Win7 64. Can't speak for how this will go for win8 users.
7 REPLIES 7

Vicodin
Level 10
Awesome man! I must say your experience was much better than mine. Took me two days to get mine up and running... lol

Any tips on optimizing my new mSATA 240gb Mushkin Atlas DX? I could use some help... Rated for 560mbps Reads, 530 mbps Writes. Here is what I am getting. I have gone through the traditional optimization settings, I just don't know what else to do?

Vicodin wrote:
Rated for 560mbps Reads, 530 mbps Writes. Here is what I am getting. I have gone through the traditional optimization settings, I just don't know what else to do?

Those results are using the ATTO benchmark. ATTO uses compressible data when running the benchmark. AS SSD uses incompressible data which the SandForce controller does not handle as quickly.

13fist
Level 10

This is what I get on mine. From the reviews I've seen of the mushkin dx, you should be seeing a few points better accross he board. It's got to be something going on in between, maybe check chipset / storage controller drivers? Without picking at it myself I can't really say whats wrong. Could just be time to RMA and see if you just got a bad one.

13fist wrote:

This is what I get on mine. From the reviews I've seen of the mushkin dx, you should be seeing a few points better accross he board. It's got to be something going on in between, maybe check chipset / storage controller drivers? Without picking at it myself I can't really say whats wrong. Could just be time to RMA and see if you just got a bad one.

Thank you for your tip!! I just found and installed updated drivers for the Intel 7 Series chipsets, as well as an Intel 7 Series SATA Controller. I did get a decent increase across the board! Especially in write speeds! Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction. I probably would have never thought to check those drivers.... I am noob to this sort of stuff.

13fist wrote:

Thank you for your tip!! I just found and installed updated drivers for the Intel 7 Series chipsets, as well as an Intel 7 Series SATA Controller. I did get a decent increase across the board! Especially in write speeds! Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction. I probably would have never thought to check those drivers.... I am noob to this sort of stuff.

Matrix_Leader
Level 10
My results using the SSD that came with my G75VW (LITEONIT 256GB LAT-256M2S) with IRST Drivers v11.5.0.1207

much worse than yours

ASUS G75VW-T1086V
CPU: i7-3610QM 2.30 GHz.
Memory: 16 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz. RAM
Storage: 256 GB LiteOn LAT-256M3S SSD + 1 TB Seagate Momentus 5400 RPM HDD
Graphics: GeForce GTX 670M 3 GB GDDR5 RAM
Screen: 17.3' Full HD LED Screen

13fist
Level 10
Thats great you got it figured out. Glad I could be of some help.