cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running Windows 8.1 on G74SX

Boosted_R
Level 8
Hey guys, just letting you know that win 8.1 works great with all the Win 7 drivers, all FN keys work so far that I can tell. Didn't do a fresh install, but had a legit copy of Win 8 Pro, so I upgraded from Win 7 Ultimate to 8. Keep in mind your Win 8 needs to be fully updated for Win 8.1 to show up in the Windows Store App (only way to get the Win 8.1 upgrade).... Been running it for a day and have zero issues.

For those running an intel card. I ran into one issue where I was getting a DHCP error when trying to connect to wifi. Even though the Win 7 intel wifi drivers was removed I still needed to go into the C drive and delete some intel folders ( see below), and disabled the windows firewall until I connected.

C:\Users\your-user-name\AppData\Roaming\Intel
C:\ProgramData\Roaming\Intel*
C:\ProgramData\Intel*

..... So far so good....... my only irritating thing is that some programs I need to right click and run as admin, have to figure out how to run everything as admin
GL702VSK / GTX 1070 / M.2 960 EVO

HTPC MINI-ITX / FRACTAL CORE 500 / GIGABYTE GA-AB350N / GTX 1050 Ti Windforce OC 4G / RYZEN 5 1600 3.9GHz / M.2 960 EVO / G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 3200MHz
OLD
ASUS G74SX-XC1 / INTEL 7260 AC / Samsung 850 PRO / TUNIQ TX-4 / BIOS 203 / 335.23
11 REPLIES 11

Pitcher1
Level 9
i know, win 8.1 have some difference driver must be reinstall.

Boosted_R
Level 8
such as ? only driver I needed to reinstall was a win 8 version of my intel wifi...... keep in mind this was a upgrade from 7 --> 8 --> 8.1..... not a clean install
GL702VSK / GTX 1070 / M.2 960 EVO

HTPC MINI-ITX / FRACTAL CORE 500 / GIGABYTE GA-AB350N / GTX 1050 Ti Windforce OC 4G / RYZEN 5 1600 3.9GHz / M.2 960 EVO / G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 3200MHz
OLD
ASUS G74SX-XC1 / INTEL 7260 AC / Samsung 850 PRO / TUNIQ TX-4 / BIOS 203 / 335.23

Boosted_R wrote:
such as ? only driver I needed to reinstall was a win 8 version of my intel wifi...... keep in mind this was a upgrade from 7 --> 8 --> 8.1..... not a clean install

Hi,

what I did was clean install. will I be able to install my win 7 drivers?

Hi guys,

I installed windows 8.1 from Windows 7. I installed ATK_Package Version V1.0.0023 and got my keyboard lights, sound, brightness keys to work. But, I am still trying to get the touchpad (F9) to work, and can't find the right driver for it. Still trying to see if I can get the Power4gear back on.
Please help

getjohnalive
Level 7
I have also installed windows 8 pro and upgraded to windows 8.1 without problem on my G74sx. everything runs very well.

hello, i have also installed windows 8 pro from windows 7 ultimate. Everything worked great, when i upgrade it to windows 8.1, my bluetooth driver doesn't work any more. Any ideas how to fix it?

Bradut wrote:
hello, i have also installed windows 8 pro from windows 7 ultimate. Everything worked great, when i upgrade it to windows 8.1, my bluetooth driver doesn't work any more. Any ideas how to fix it?

I also had problem with Atheros Bluetooth after upgraded to Win8.1, to fix this I had to uninstall Bluetooth driver and reinstall it again.

jbwf1
Level 7
i have the same issue with my touchpad driver .. can someone help me ?

jbwf1 wrote:
i have the same issue with my touchpad driver .. can someone help me ?

yeah this happen to me a while back. First you need to identify which touchpad you have. the G74sx came out with two different types.
Sentelic, and Synaptics
To find out on win 8.1
press WIN+x
them M for Device Manager
then click "Mice & other pointing devices"
then right click on the pointing device and select properties, details.
it should say something that hints at it being either one, i cant remember what it said for mine, initials for sentelic
something like slc or stl or tlc
so then if have the drivers already downloaded, click on drivers tab, the uninstall drivers to remove what ever is on there
then choose update driver, choose "browse my computer" and go to where ever you put the downloaded driver for that type