cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG G750JZ connected to ROG SWIFT PG278Q

eimanrba
Level 7
I use a DP-to-miniDP adapter on the input of the laptop. Windows 8.1

1. I get the full resolution, but the refresh rate won't go beyond 120 Hz. Is there any way to get the 144 Hz?
Also the TURBO button on the side of the screen doesn't work, it only displays whatever frequency I've set in WIndows 8.1, doesn't change it.

2. How do I check if G-sync is even running? In Nvidia control panel, I can only find 3D Settings.

I suspect it might be this forced Optimus that messes with both these issues (refresh rate and g-sync). Has anyone succeeded in combining these two products?

Luckily I still have a few days to consider returning both. Or if it's the Optimus maybe an Alienware instead of the G750 is the way to go. Any help is appreciated
15 REPLIES 15

hmscott
Level 12
eimanrba wrote:

1. I get the full resolution, but the refresh rate won't go beyond 120 Hz. Is there any way to get the 144 Hz?
Also the TURBO button on the side of the screen doesn't work, it only displays whatever frequency I've set in WIndows 8.1, doesn't change it.

2. How do I check if G-sync is even running? In Nvidia control panel, I can only find 3D Settings.

I suspect it might be this forced Optimus that messes with both these issues (refresh rate and g-sync). Has anyone succeeded in combining these two products?

Luckily I still have a few days to consider returning both. Or if it's the Optimus maybe an Alienware instead of the G750 is the way to go. Any help is appreciated

eimanrba, that's an awesome monitor, and hard to find, I wouldn't return the PG278Q.

You are on the cutting edge of tech with G-sync

G-Sync Supported GPUs
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/g-sync/supported-gpus

The 880m is listed... - Edit - it looks like Nvidia removed the 880m from the list... here is the 880m page and it now only shows Adaptive VSync, G-Sync has been removed.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/notebook-gpus/geforce-gtx-880m

Have you installed the latest Nvidia driver 340.52? It looks like another BETA is coming, perhaps as a WHQL release, we are due for a new Nvidia driver rollout.

What about the Intel driver, which version do you have installed?

I would like to think with updated drivers the JZ will support G-sync and the PG278Q.

You might do best to contact Asus directly through a Technical Inquiry, listing the specs / versions of the G750JZ OS / Drivers for Nvidia / Intel, BIOS version, and some screen shots / photo's of the settings / results you are seeing zipped up and attached to the Technical Inquiry - and get Asus help you debug the pairing.

https://vip.asus.com

Please update us here as to your progress 🙂

Wulff
Level 9
i wouldnt mind having that monitor either 😛 but the price is a bit to much for me at this time 🙂

gazzacbr
Level 10
+1, that sure is a nice monitor.
sadly, my old dinosaur 770M is not on the list 😞
but at least i get to save my money 😉
Asus G750JX-CV050H||GTX770M||24GB ram||120hz 3D screen||
1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD in DVD Bay
free bag and mouse :cool:
win 8.1||win 7||win xp||server 2008||os x mavericks||linux mint 16

BOSS330
Level 7
eimanrba wrote:

Running your exact setup mate and have the same issue. (only 120Hz and no G-Sync option)

I did some research into this and apparently, you need a MiniDP - DP cable Version 1.2 to get G-Sync working with 144hz.

MIni DisplayPort adapters don't have the same bandwidth as the DP Ver 1.2 cables.

PC Case Gear sell them for about $20

BOSS330 wrote:
Running your exact setup mate and have the same issue. (only 120Hz and no G-Sync option)

I did some research into this and apparently, you need a MiniDP - DP cable Version 1.2 to get G-Sync working with 144hz.

MIni DisplayPort adapters don't have the same bandwidth as the DP Ver 1.2 cables.

PC Case Gear sell them for about $20

Did you have any luck with this solution?

Run with external monitor only. If you use 2 screens the lower refresh rate will decide. i think you laptop has 120 hz screen, as you not mentioned what hardware you have. GPU and screen is not enough usually. with one screen connected trough digital output you should be run on Nvidia gpu only. In that case optimus dont count. This depend on the build of the machine. As long as i know digital outputs are directly connected to the nvidia vga. In single display mode (only external, and laptop screen turned off, on the windows mobility center) your external screen should work as intended. G-sync is different story, you have to go to nvidia forums instead.

Can you post a screenshot of your display port connection in nvidia control panel? it should show 2 connection: laptop screen, external screen (both screens used).

Ozy311
Level 7
I don't see that 880M on the list and I am wondering if the new 980M on the G751 is supported with G-Sync. That would be frustrating if it was not.

Ozy311 wrote:
I don't see that 880M on the list and I am wondering if the new 980M on the G751 is supported with G-Sync. That would be frustrating if it was not.

Ozy311, thanks for the heads up, I updated the posting, noting Nvidia removed the 880m from the G-sync list, and removed G-sync from the Technologies list for the 880m, here is the updated text:

G-Sync Supported GPUs
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/g-sync/supported-gpus

The 880m is listed... - Edit - it looks like Nvidia removed the 880m from the list... here is the 880m page and it now only shows Adaptive VSync, G-Sync has been removed.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/notebook-gpus/geforce-gtx-880m

Also, eimanrba never logged in again since his postings above, so we can't ask him what he tried and if it worked.