cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RMA Process an Absolute Nightmare!

JMac5450
Level 7
Back on the 4th of April I had to submit a warranty repair claim on my Asus G53 series laptop after the charging pin separated itself from the motherboard when removing my charger. While I found this to be annoying I understand things happen and it would be repaired by Asus in a timely manner. Unfortunately, my understanding of timely must be much different than Asus.

I called them yesterday in order to find out when this process was going to be complete and I was advised that a new motherboard had to be ordered in order to fix the computer. Again, understandable even though it has taken as long as it has to get the parts. Then the representative at Asus advised me that it would take 14 business days for the repair to be completed and that they currently have the new motherboard at the repair center. I am sorry but to me this is beyond acceptable. I like many do not spend this kind of money for this kind of service.

For those of you out there that have had this problem is this standard practice by Asus for repairs?

Appreciate any feedback from your experiences.

Thanks,

James
479 Views
29 REPLIES 29

BrodyBoy
Level 10
I've never had to send a computer to Asus, but I've read a lot of RMA accounts here and elsewhere. While I occasionally hear of these ridiculously-long service "visits," they seem to be the exception rather then the rule. The far greater complaint, from what I can tell, is failure to actually fix the original problem. In your case, it's such a cut & dried hardware repair that I can't imagine how they can screw it up.

So while it is indeed taking an unacceptably long time, I think you can be hopeful that it'll be fixed when you finally get it back. Do be aware, however, that the DC jack used in the G53 seems to be vulnerable to this particular failure. If they repair it with the same hardware....which I'd assume they will....you may want to treat that jack with a little extra care to avoid a repeat experience.

Brody,

Thank you for the advice. I as well would hope this is a pretty straight forward fix. I have been doing some research and this in fact does seem to be a problem as you have indicated. I honestly might sell the laptop just to avoid such future problems considering how easily it broke on me the first time.

Again, thanks for the advice.

James

BrodyBoy wrote:
I've never had to send a computer to Asus, but I've read a lot of RMA accounts here and elsewhere. While I occasionally hear of these ridiculously-long service "visits," they seem to be the exception rather then the rule. The far greater complaint, from what I can tell, is failure to actually fix the original problem. In your case, it's such a cut & dried hardware repair that I can't imagine how they can screw it up.

So while it is indeed taking an unacceptably long time, I think you can be hopeful that it'll be fixed when you finally get it back. Do be aware, however, that the DC jack used in the G53 seems to be vulnerable to this particular failure. If they repair it with the same hardware....which I'd assume they will....you may want to treat that jack with a little extra care to avoid a repeat experience.


Sorry to rain on yer parade there Brody but he is right they are REALLY slow and my laptop funny was a G53 too and came back after a week or two with a brand new fault... Don't get me wrong I luv ASUS products... I just won't be buying a laptop again...

skoobiedoo wrote:
Sorry to rain on yer parade there Brody but he is right they are REALLY slow and my laptop funny was a G53 too and came back after a week or two with a brand new fault... Don't get me wrong I luv ASUS products... I just won't be buying a laptop again...


It is unfortunate because I like their products but the more I read about others receiving their laptops back the more discouraged I get because of it. It honestly seems like it is just a matter of time before the pin pops again and I am going through the process again.

No doubt it is frustrating...

skoobiedoo wrote:
Sorry to rain on yer parade there Brody but he is right they are REALLY slow and my laptop funny was a G53 too and came back after a week or two with a brand new fault... Don't get me wrong I luv ASUS products... I just won't be buying a laptop again...

How did you rain on my parade? (I didn't even know I had a parade....) As I said in my post, we occasionally see complaints of really slow RMA service (though if you're saying yours was a week or two...that's not slow)....I've never said otherwise. So what is yer point there, scoobiedoo? 😉

BrodyBoy wrote:
How did you rain on my parade? (I didn't even know I had a parade....) As I said in my post, we occasionally see complaints of really slow RMA service (though if you're saying yours was a week or two...that's not slow)....I've never said otherwise. So what is yer point there, scoobiedoo? 😉


I'm with BrodyBoy. I had to send my laptop in for bright spots in my LCD... twice. The problem was not caused by anything Asus did since they don't manufacture LCDs, but Asus had my G73JW-XA1 back in mt hands on the Friday following the Monday on which I shipped it out. The second time they gave me a hard drive upgrade since the factory installed Seagate was apparently under a factory recall. Their phone support leaves a little to be desired, and their tracking system got the tracking number for the shipment to me three days after my laptop arrived. However, overall my personal experience has been a positive one, and my G73JW hasn't exhibited a single problem since that last service call just over a year ago.

Cases like these are rare, but how they're handled can make or break a company. I certainly hope that someone at Asus can solve your problem, JMac.

chrsplmr
Level 18
Welcome. What Country? Did you pm MarshallR or Mason? (HQ/US respectively).c.

chrsplmr wrote:
Welcome. What Country? Did you pm MarshallR or Mason? (HQ/US respectively).c.


I am in the United States and have not PM'ed them. Will they be able to give me a better understanding of when it will be complete? Calling support does nothing but get me a bunch of canned statements.

Thanks,

James

vudugan
Level 7
I really wish I would have researched these forums before my purchase as well. I needed a laptop for school, work and gaming and just knew ASUS was the machine to get. Had I researched their customer service experiences, I would not be writing this. I am also having issues with my 2Mth old machine and received a RMa # 2 weeks ago after placing the request on March 26th. I decided not to send it in and wrote them back about the RMa complaints. I need my machine for work and school so sending it in will hurt me dramatically. I will continue to manipulate the machine to get it working for me until it won't, then an RMa will be only option. To save and borrow $1500 to get a needed item from a good brand name was what I thought a good ideal. I can't believe a big name like ASUS would have such bad service.
G53SX-RH71

15.6" 1920 x 1080 Full HD (16:9) Matte Type Display
Intel Core i7-2670QM Processor, 2.2 GHz
IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU
Memory 12GB, PC3-10600/1333Mhz DDR3 - 3 x 4GB
Hard Drive 750GB/7200rpm 16MB Cache Buffer SATA-300 (SATA II 3GB/s)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M w/2GB GDDR5 295.73