cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

replacing hdd to ssd

Fisico2217
Level 7
i've just got my new G550 with 1TB HDD.

I want to change from the HDD to an SSD drive.

I already found out the following:
"Asus has a backup software backtrack which u can download from their web site. It allows U to backup (to your USBs ) the contents of the stock HDD ( Win 8 + drivers files ).

Once U hv removed the stock HDD & installed the SSD , u need to change the UEFI settings to boot from USB(ie. CSM on + Secured boot off) .

After that , just follow the on screen instructions & the W8 recovery files will be installed onto the SSD .

The licence key should be pulled (automatically) from the Bios . After that, remove the USB, change the UEFI settings back to the original state (CSM off + Secured boot on.)Your SSD should boot into W8."

So I think there are just two possibilities to change from HDD to SSD:

1. creating an image with Acronis or similar --> I am afraid of the settings - will win8 recognize my SSD as an SSD drive (performance)

2. using the way above --> same issue: will win8 recognize the drive as an SSD

I think the best was would be a clean install - but unfortunately there is no recovery image ...

Thanks!!! (and sorry for my english - I am not an native speaker :-))
5 REPLIES 5

Clintlgm
Level 14
If you use backtracker you can restore to you new SSD no problems. Just be sure to remove the Hard Drive before restoring with Backtracker. Then connect your hard drive VIA USB and set it up as a logical drive and format it NTFS that will remove the boot sector You shouldn't need to turn off Secure boot or enable CSM. Although it can't hurt anything

I wouldn't trust Acronis

I would trust Macrium Reflect Free Edition

Windows 8 will recognize your SSD as an SSD no problem, no matter how you do it.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Maxter
Level 9
agreed! don't use Acronis. Everyone trying to clone HDD into SDD is having issues. Backtracker install or clean install are the ways to go.

Fisico2217
Level 7
Thanks for the replies!!

Do I need to change anything in the BIOS (AHCI)?

Fisico2217 wrote:
Thanks for the replies!!

Do I need to change anything in the BIOS (AHCI)?

Not if your are using ASUS Backtracker. If you have already created a recovery USB flash drive using Backtracker then all you need to do now is remove the old hard drive (after backing up data that you don't want to lose of course) and then insert then new SSD (no need to format or anything). Then plug your USB in, turn computer on, and it would automatically boot the USB drive.

You may need to change BIOS settings if you want to install a retail version of windows (like the ones that you buy in a computer store) if that's where you're going. But if you want the windows that came with your computer, then no need to change bios.

Fisico2217
Level 7
thanks@all

everything worked perfect!