cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote power-on for G74SX?

Spook50
Level 7
I'm using my G74SX as my primary computer, and when I have it at home I leave it plugged in to an external monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. Obviously, it doesn't use a docking station like my 10-year-old Dell did, so I'm left wondering if there's a way to power on the ASUS without opening the screen, as it sits underneath a monitor stand on my desk.
Roses are red
Bacon is also red
I'm not good at poetry
Bacon
3 REPLIES 3

Gorman
Level 12
If you hibernate it instead of turning it off (save state, but don't use power) then you can set your USB drivers to be allowed to wake the computer.
Apart from that, or using WOL that is about it.

EDIT: Though I'm sure you could sneakily position a paperclip or such so that you can use it to turn on the computer without opening the screen.

Gorman wrote:
If you hibernate it instead of turning it off (save state, but don't use power) then you can set your USB drivers to be allowed to wake the computer.
Apart from that, or using WOL that is about it.

EDIT: Though I'm sure you could sneakily position a paperclip or such so that you can use it to turn on the computer without opening the screen.

LOL the paperclip is actually a really good idea, and would work for how I'll have it set up on the desk too. I like to fully shut down my laptop when I'm not going to use it for longer than a couple days, so hibernating is something I would prefer to avoid.
Roses are red
Bacon is also red
I'm not good at poetry
Bacon

cl-scott
Level 12
I think you may be confused. Hibernation is where the computer dumps the contents of RAM to the HDD/SSD and then shuts down completely. Then when you power it back on, it reads this memory dump and restores the exact state of your computer. It sounds like you are thinking of sleep/suspend mode where the computer is in a low power state, but still on.