cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received G751JT today. Looking for help setting everything up correctly.

A_Deviant_Hero
Level 7
So I got my G751JT and I am super stoked to finally have it!

I did the quick install or whatever so that I could check for dead pixel and screen bleed. I don't think I have any of either. I didn't check for USB or speaker problems because I have read that is fixed with driver updates.

I have never used 3D Mark or anything to check the CPU and GPU temperatures (under a load like 3D mark I assume). I was wanting to check that before the next step...

Then the "next step" I was talking about was going to be after I tested everything for functionality, figuring out how to do a fresh install of Windows 8.1 without any other programs added. I am going to get a SSD, so I was going to install onto that.

I was looking at picking this SSD up at Best Buy tonight so I could do some of this tonight.
PNY - Optima 240GB Internal Serial ATA III Solid State Drive for Laptops - Multi
Model: SSD7SC240GOPT-RB SKU: 8193026
Cost: $90

Is there a better brand or recommended option for a SSD? I am looking to stay +/- $100 for around a 250gb SSD.

I have no experience wiping a computer and doing a fresh install of the operating system, but I have watched a guide on youtube for installing windows 8.1.

Hope to get some replies so I can get this thing running smooth soon!

Thanks!
18 REPLIES 18

A_Deviant_Hero
Level 7
I downloaded 3D Mark Demo version I guess and got a score of 6552 on Fire Strike.

Edit: No updated drivers or anything and the laptop was plugged in.

A_Deviant_Hero
Level 7
Going to pick up that SSD, then going to class and will be home in a few hours. I have the back plate off of the laptop at the moment and it looks like there is a caddy for the ssd, so I hope I dont have to modify anything for it to stay in place. I dont see a tutorial fora G751 on youtube but it seems there is one for a G750 so I will just watch that

A_Deviant_Hero
Level 7
What is the first step that I must do to install the SSD and harddrive in order to wipe the computer clean for a fresh install of windows 8.1 on the SSD? I can't find a step by step for this in one place despite a lot of searches.

I put SSD in the left bay, which I know is the boot drive bay, so obviously it wont boot up now. Do I keep harddrive in left bay and SDD in right and then boot up and then somehow transfer data to SSD in order to be able to transfer the SSD to the left bay to be my boot drive so that I can then uninstall everything and do a fresh install of W8.1 on the SSD?

A_Deviant_Hero
Level 7
I guess I am downloading an iso file from Windows.Microsoft.com and will put it onto a DVD in order to install onto the ssd? How should I go about clearing the harddrive to use for storage once I make the ssd the boot drive with the operating system? If I'm screwing this stuff up big time, someone please chime in

A_Deviant_Hero
Level 7
I downloaded the iso file and put the SSD into the boot drive bay and did a fresh install of windows 8.1 onto that SSD. Obviously now I have no programs that originally came with the computer. I hooked my 1tb harddrive that came with the computer into the 2nd bay. How should I go about moving programs that I would like to keep onto my SSD that might be nice to have on this computer? Such as the ASUS ROG items and NVIDIA. Do I just cut and paste from program files? Or do I need to go find these programs elsewhere on the internet and download them straight onto the SSD?

Edit: Will wait until morning when I may get a reply, not sure what I should do now. Many things dont work such as the ROG macro and who knows what else since those pre installed programs arent on the new SSD.
Thanks for the assistance.

BigDRim
Level 7
Here is the Asus support page where you can download official Asus softwares, drivers:
http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G751JT/HelpDesk_Download/

You can download Geforce Experience/Geforce drivers from nvidia website.

A_Deviant_Hero
Level 7
I am trying to update BIOS to 206, so I download the zipped file and then extract and I am getting just one 6146kb file that I don't know how to run in order to update the BIOS? It looks nothing like what I am looking at for a guide to update BIOS.

What else should I download from asus after the fresh install?

Boaz_Beatz
Level 7
Extract the rar file then put the extracted file on an usb boot in to bios and flash it from there thi k its called easy flash or something i dont remember if u need to press f2 or delete to get into bios someone post how to get into bios as i dont have the laptop atm

A_Deviant_Hero
Level 7
Thanks Boaz, I will try that. I know how to get into the bios, just wasnt sure how to update it.

Edit: extracted files onto USB, went into bios, did easy flash, now I succesfully have BIOS 206.

I will now find what other files I need to get from asus to allow the macro key to work and whatever else was from asus that I lost