cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reasons to BUY G75 ... or not

c_man
Level 11
I've seen this a lot - "Should I buy it with all this problems?"

First, if a user has a problem, then he will come and say "I have this problem, how do I fix it?"

If the laptop works well, no one will come and say "My laptop works very well, how do I fix that?"

Also, most buyers think that a new laptop will always be perfect. Lately I've seen that things are not quite so. It's not Asus, but most brands. You will hear about problems with Dell, HP, MSI, Lenovo and so on. You might be lucky to find a very good machine, but if you test a bunch of them you can see that every one is a little bit different. Consider this when you judge any laptop. It's not right, but it's your right to test it and return it if there are problems. This goes for every manufacturer.

Going back to these many problems you can read about in here, I'll tell you why I like the G series from Asus and why I got them.

- No throttling under heavy load for long periods of time - you might think that all laptops do this. Not quite. I have tested a few and most of them will throttle or get extremely hot. After a video edit, I start the encoding. During this time with Asus I can play BF3 if I want without any problems, game will run smooth, encoding will keep pace. It takes 20' to encode a DVD and just 25" to encode an entire CD to Flac.

- Excellent heat distribution - palm rest is cool, it won't burn your fingers or legs.

- Low noise for the performance - G55 makes less noise idle, but more under heavy load. G75 makes more noise idle and a bit less under heavy load. I do prefer the G55.

- Good gaming performance for the money - it can easy do 675M numbers.

These might not seem that important if you consider that all laptops should output the perfect performance, but they don't.

Some problems and fixes.

- System hangs - remove McAfee AV and Asus live update, use latest drivers.

- Keyboard light does not start after sleep - seems that it happens only if a disc is in the drive.

- Audio problems - latest driver solved most of them. These settings should make sound a little better.

- Screen might flickr - not everyone has it, but if you do, there is a fix. Under Nvidia control panel/Display/Change resolution you must choose Customize/Create custom resolution and set refresh rate to 67Hz. Test it, keep it, apply it. If this does not help, make sure you have the latest driver and try again. If the problem is still there, you should RMA.

- Defective color representation - you can read more about this in here - there is still no fix for it. This only bugs me with photos. I have not seen it in games or videos so far. Asus please fix this!

- Power brick might make noises - not exactly normal, you could try to change it. There is a good chance that it will work for years, I had some. LE. Seems like my G75 power brick stopped making noises after a few weeks of usage.

- System might not resume from hibernation - I use Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and I never had it. This means it's not a hardware problem.

- Random reboots - disable Hibernation.

What about upgrades?

I have a Clevo that I can fully upgrade. That is nice, right? Yeah, but not quite.

Tech changes fast. And to keep up every year it's expensive. So I should keep this system at least 2 years, if not even more. When I should upgrade, I will have to change CPU, GPU, HDD, RAM (maybe). All these have the price of a brand new laptop with warranty and better performance.

So if you are not one of those guys looking every day for a cheap CPU or GPU to pop on Ebay and you don't mind playing a game on medium settings after a while, you should not worry with upgrades. Just buy some extra warranty (a total of 3 years should do since after that it will not worth that much).
13 REPLIES 13

c_man
Level 11
Yeah, but some things are hidden as well. In Dell 7720 I can access a lot of things, but it gets very hot, GPU and CPU throttle like crazy. XPS has even more problems due to overheating.

Clintlgm
Level 14
Excellent post. I myself do not game. I buy gaming notebooks for the Bleeding edge technology and expected some problems. What i get is an excellent desktop replacement for 3 to 4 years. My last one was a G70, we never did get legit video card drives that I know of for running a 64 system? However I did find The DNA custom drivers early on and that worked for 4 years until the video card finally gave up. If I find a video card for it. I'll hand it down to a family member who will get another 2 of 3 years out of it. The only other notebooks I looked at were the Sager line. My first notebook was a Sager it wasn't a good experience. So I bought this G75vw -DS72 Sorted out the problems is a few days I'm happy and I would recommend this series to most of my friends that Use Notebooks as desktop replacement. I would not recommend it to any one not familiar with computers in general as loading drivers can be scary and frustrating for the uninitiated. And they would have no use for the bleeding edge technology and get more use out of a $600 lower tech notebook.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

You're Information Is Correct, Exactly Correct ! (And Useful For Some Alienware Fanboys Too)

Clintlgm wrote:
Excellent post. I myself do not game. I buy gaming notebooks for the Bleeding edge technology and expected some problems. What i get is an excellent desktop replacement for 3 to 4 years. My last one was a G70, we never did get legit video card drives that I know of for running a 64 system? However I did find The DNA custom drivers early on and that worked for 4 years until the video card finally gave up. If I find a video card for it. I'll hand it down to a family member who will get another 2 of 3 years out of it. The only other notebooks I looked at were the Sager line. My first notebook was a Sager it wasn't a good experience. So I bought this G75vw -DS72 Sorted out the problems is a few days I'm happy and I would recommend this series to most of my friends that Use Notebooks as desktop replacement. I would not recommend it to any one not familiar with computers in general as loading drivers can be scary and frustrating for the uninitiated. And they would have no use for the bleeding edge technology and get more use out of a $600 lower tech notebook.

Same here. The higher-technology computers are faster, but have more that can go wrong, especially in the LINUX world. To be fair, ASUS's gaming machines are among the simplest, in that they don't have Optimus (no LINUX support :(), Wi-Di, or proprietary GPU configurations (not hardware, but software configuration...I'm looking at you, Sony).

$600 notebook most likely has an Intel processor 🙂 with Intel graphics :confused: and a run-of-the-mill, wireless card :(, so the drivers aren't as likely to get broken (read updated), and so the computer seems to just "work" for them. Those of us with tech skills and who want better performance aren't afraid of the chance of a broken driver, we just deal with it (obviously), document it here (ideally), and go on.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23