Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: WinFlash For BIOS Update

PILGRIM
Level 11
Just read the closed thread about that guy using WinFlash to update BIOS
then bricking his laptop. Granted, he was disrespectful. Granted, he should be
chastised.
(http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?17555-Failure-upgrade-bios-208-with-WinFlash-G55VW&country=...)

But the underlying fact is that he bricked his laptop by using this amazingly
helpful BIOS update ASUS software called WinFlash. Of which, as I still recall, has been
one of the two most helpful in producing RMAs and whatnots (the other is the ASUS Live Update).

Evaluated experience is the best teacher, as the saying goes.
But in this case (and the plentiful others), is ASUS evaluating at all
on its consumers' pros and cons of using its own "help" software?
I mean, this WinFlash issue has been prevalent way back (see the older G-series forum).
Hindsight is golden, but ASUS doesn't seem to grasp it.

So, what is it, ASUS? Taking pleasure in more RMAs? :mad:
ASUS G74SX-3DE
14 REPLIES 14

xeromist wrote:
Actually I'd argue it's a good idea to install updates during the warranty period. That way when the warranty is up you aren't stuck with the retail BIOS and no safety net if you find a reason to update. At least during the warranty you can RMA.

thats definitely true, although youd be without your notebook for that time period, so i'd do it at a time when you could afford to be without it.

although that might be a little inconvenient for someone whos notebook is their only computer... but maybe convenient in the long run.
ROG Notebooks: G75VW, G74SX, & G73JH And a gaming rig.

X-ROG
Level 15
It's not common but if you do brick the machine by any method of BIOS update there is a 'failsafe' built in. Turn it on and immediately hold down Ctrl+Home. I'm told this should bring back the original BIOS.

Laptops generally never need a BIOS update unless you're having a specific issue, which is why I'm trying to get them to put on the changelogs.

Assuming your estimate is closer to the truth (a part of me would like to believe it),
but it's also a fact that in these ROG forums, using WinFlash has been majorly attributed
to many RMAs.

This is just not true sorry. There is no statistics of users using WinFlash to update. You only see the few that go wrong.

MarshallR@ASUS wrote:
...This is just not true sorry. There is no statistics of users using WinFlash to update. You only see the few that go wrong.

I wish I was wrong, too. But to say that only a few go wrong by using WinFlash for BIOS update
is missing the point in its entirety. How many more "few that go wrong" would accumulate before
ASUS do something to correct itself?

Your own admission of having no statistics to prove it, is skirting the issue.
While it may be true basing on the totality of ROG laptop consumers using the
said program worldwide- successful in their BIOS update or not.
But it can't be denied that there is statistics in the ROG forums
that proves WinFlash is a hazard- if only one would look and acknowledge it.
ASUS G74SX-3DE

dstrakele
Level 14
Have you every tried this recovery method on a test system? Are you sure you don't need to first rename the BIOS file of choice to AMIBOOT.ROM and store it on a floppy, flash drive, or CD?

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=119375.0 also mentions a 4MB BIOS file. From my understanding, ASUS supplies only one part (2MB) of this file on the web site.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2185633_fix-boot-block.html also discusses how to recover an AMI BIOS and there is more to it than just holding down CTRL+HOME.

I think it's really important to have a detailed step-by-step sticky thread on how this BIOS recovery actually works.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

kiba
Level 10
im glad the g75 has a bios rollback feature (ctrl+home), its on other machines and its something ive been hoping asus would implement since back when i got my g73 and had to update bios/vbios for the BSOD issue. every time i do it, even though im using the correct method (FAT32 usb disk from EZFLASH), i feel like im rolling the dice.
ROG Notebooks: G75VW, G74SX, & G73JH And a gaming rig.