cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random? shutdowns on a asus G750JM 17 inch laptop

blackguard
Level 7
I say random with a question because I'm not sure what to think anymore. So the specs are windows 7 OS and the laptop is a G750JM series so an i7 proccessor, 8 Gb RAM and a Nvidia 860m inside. I have had 1-2 posts on the forum months and months back like 4+. I don't want to reply there so I dont necro old posts. BUt anyway. What I did all of these times just to be sure I'm not skipping over something obvious:

-I did check the event viewers in administrative tools to see the logs. Apart from Kernel power that says the system lost power unexpectadly nothing seems to pop out.
-There was no windows crash dump file made. So no aparent blue screen either.
-I usually have a HW monitor up to keep track of temps. Mostly Laptop seems to stay at around 3300 RPM fan speed when doing my stuff like playing some WoW and Warframe and the likes. So I dont think it's extremely high temps.

Now I want to add some stuff. It happened before of course like last year but I always chalked it up to WIndows being windows lol so random. But now it starts to happen more often. I do believe it was in July when I remember it this year. I thought it was a new webcam I got that was maybe having issues. Nope. Happened again in October, like around the 20th. I was playing WoW and suddenly shut down. I didn't think it was temperatures, but what I do notice is that when WoW and say you tube is open, or just WoW the memory usage is almost full on the 8 GB it has. So I thought, man maybe its just some weird ran out of memory stuff. But yesterday it happened again. I was on a new LoL account because Im trying to recoup an old one and did the tutorial. I could hear the fans of course, but I didn't alt tab. Now the noise id say that it was on par to when it goes at around 3600. But that's not an issue of course. HEck it went up to 5000 RPM in warframe a few times when I entered the outdoor areas and the high 80's for temps for A FEW SECONDS. And that never had an issue turning the laptop off.

I am super worried as to not brick my laptop. I have had it for about 7 years now. I would replace it or wouldn't be concerned if I could. But I do not have a job atm and hiring is super hard because of covid. So still waiting on CV replies. But what I mean is I cannot afford a brand new one at the moment. And the laptop is my only multimedia thing that I use for everything. I tend to travel to France and Romania quite often and that's why I opted for a mobile, but powerful solution at the time, for both gaming and other things.

Anyway I don't know what's causing this at all. One friend told me it might need a repasting on the processor but I don't really know, it's not heating up as far as I can tell so as to be like o yeah it's dried up so now it's having heat issues. More things that I saw around here, is that it may be the battery? Here is HWmonitor readings while im typing this.

I should say the wear level varies when I open it. Sometimes it's the 20's. Now it says 34% but I've seen it a few times go up to 40% So I'm not sure either.
Does anyone know if ths is something that's solvable? or IS there anything I can do? Am I at risk to have it bricked if it keeps happening?
5 REPLIES 5

blackguard
Level 7
It just happened again. Not 20 minutes ago from making this post.

This time I was playing World of Warcraft and was watching temps. I didn't see anything abnormal in terms of heat. Again no crash dump no nothing. Just like yanking the power off to a desktop. And on startup of course, asking me if I want to boot in safe mode since the system shut down unexpectedly.

I did want to show you guys this in highlight there 87103

Some days ago, I had some strange errors on startup. My battery indicator was saying I needed to replace my battery and the hardware monitor said my battery was at 75% wear level. It got down to 50 during the day....I dont know how or why?, but the windows thing stopped reporting it as needing relacement.

Is this a clear sign that the battery is going bye bye and this is what's causing the shutdowns?

Blake1
Level 10
Hello blackgurad,
Really sorry to see this.
Please kindly send your device to our service center for further examination when you are available.
Thank you.

21st December 2020. 9:27 PM. Happened again. Once more was in WoW, so playing, didn't see anything off related to the temperatures. Im just wondering why I never get a crash dump.... Shouldn't it make one?

Blake@ROG wrote:
Hello blackgurad,
Really sorry to see this.
Please kindly send your device to our service center for further examination when you are available.
Thank you.

Thank you for the reply. But damn..Is there no other way than just send it to ASUS?

I would recommend a battery replacement, a new charging brick, and the DC-IN board.

Good Luck
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

jdfrench3 wrote:
I would recommend a battery replacement, a new charging brick, and the DC-IN board.

Good Luck

DC -IN as in the interior thing where the AC brick thing connects to the laptop?

Also it happened again last, unplugged the power to leave iton battery a little and in a few minutes, it just shut off again. It started back up with no problems even without the AC in. Im guessing this is a clear sign that the battery is the culprit here no?

Again when it happened last night, on battery, there was nothing being run apart from a youtube video. Which is not idling, but not exactly demanding either, and the temps were cool too from what I saw.

I just dont understnad what I would need to actually get some diagnostics on my battery. ke a software or something. HWMonitor keeps reporting the wear on startup at 30-40% wich goes down to 12-13% over a few days....