cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ram Upgrade

Inkrest
Level 7
Through about 20 hours of watching the same 2 videos on YouTube I decided to break down and just upgrade my ram. I have the G53-Xn1. Purchased from newegg. I thought the system had 6gbs of ram initially. I ran system and only 4gbs were showing. I said not a prob and went through process of adding.
I've added the 2x4gb sticks to the place under the laptop area. There was a 2gb sitting there. I started the laptop and it worked fine. went to system said only 4gbs was in. Was like OK. Since in tinker mood i added the 2gb stick to under the keyboard. This means I should have a total of 14 gbs in. A 4gb in the unaccessible place without voiding warranty. The 2x4gb i added next to HDD. And a 2bg (came with comp was where i added the 2x4gb). Went to system again and still says 4bg
I haven't had any blue screens. Everything works and runs fine and even ran the update on windows index, Still 4gb. Went to crucial.com and it said for a "Intel Mobile HM65" its max is 8gb and i was using 1 4gb slot and only had 1 slot open.. To my knowledge This lappy has 4 total and all are full of ram Total 3x4gb 1x2gb. Nothing I do says 14gb. Also noticed last week I'm regularly running about 98 tasks. Any other users have ram recognition issues?
12 REPLIES 12

After doing the start bios start bios start bios checking. I realized my ram was placed incorrectly. I wasn't inserting it at a 43 degree angle roughly. Sorry for my stupidity. For the record I added each piece of ram then started and it went up 4000 MB every time. Thanks for all the help. I did end up using the 2gb stick under the keyboard so when i buy another gskill 4gb stick it will be easiest to access. Sorry for the wasted time on me. But very happy I'm running 14gb of ram at the moment. Take care guys and thanks for the help.

4gb in the inaccessible slot
2x4gb in slots under computer
1x2gb in slot under keyboard

All works and many thanks.

dstrakele
Level 14
No worries, Inkrest... Glad to hear you resolved the problem!
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
No worries, Inkrest... Glad to hear you resolved the problem!

+1

@lnkrest: It's an easy mistake to make, and the important thing is that you learned how to do it, so your RAM upgrades will always be that much easier from now on. Glad you got it all worked out. 🙂